So...can anyone tell me what Alabama is like?

Started by ThePilgrim101, February 21, 2013, 10:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePilgrim101

Hey guys,

So, I've started the whole "I want to dedicate my life to science" thing and may possibly have the chance to go to Alabama and so some wacky thing called "spend the next decade there doing work for minimal pay."

Is anyone from there or has anyone here lived there and could give a poor, black atheist some insight? The only thing I know about it is from elementary school which only talked about its racism circa 1962.

Help please?
Quote from: \"azmhyr\"
Quote from: \"quoting\"New Testament doesn\'t Justify the banning of gays from anywhere.
Well, the old testament permabans them from life tho.

OtterPop

Oh my... I've been there several times and I can't think of many worse places for a black atheist.

wolf39us

All of the states in America and you chose Alabama...

That's like an Evangelical going to San Diego  :-D

WitchSabrina

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Brian37

I went there a few years back because my mother who is a retired teacher got invited to a wedding. When people use the word "sticks" that is an understatement. If there is more than two buildings in a location they consider that a city.

But states like that need science and reason, maybe they'd grow more if they would pull their heads out of their theocratic asses.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

ThePilgrim101

Quote from: "wolf39us"All of the states in America and you chose Alabama...

I haven't chosen anything yet =P

I may be down there in a bit for an interview, but I'm trying not to prejudge. The folks I've talked with so far have seemed pretty nice.
Quote from: \"quoting\"New Testament doesn\'t Justify the banning of gays from anywhere.

wolf39us

Quote from: "ThePilgrim101"
Quote from: "wolf39us"All of the states in America and you chose Alabama...

I haven't chosen anything yet =P

I may be down there in a bit for an interview, but I'm trying not to prejudge. The folks I've talked with so far have seemed pretty nice.

Point taken.

You have been warned  :Hangman:

Thumpalumpacus

I've never been there, myself.

The few Alabamians I've met seemed like nice folk, but I'd definitely visit first if I were in your shoes.
<insert witty aphorism here>

ThePilgrim101

Quote from: "wolf39us":Hangman:

Given my demographic, that hangman is my fear.

Davka

The FSM made Alabama so Tennesseans would have someone to look down on.

Run. Flee. The madness is all-encompassing, you cannot hope to survive. Oh, and the weather sucks, too.

wolf39us

Added poll for the fun :-)

aitm

Alabama is a great state, wonderful people, good bbq, hunting fishing all kinds of hiking and biking. A great place to live......unless yer black, or an atheist, god forbid a black atheist.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jmpty

Just driving through Alabama gives me the creeps. I am in a mixed race marriage, and I would not be comfortable living there.
???  ??

Jason78

Quote from: "ThePilgrim101"Is anyone from there or has anyone here lived there and could give a poor, black atheist some insight?

From what I hear it's a third world country packed with dangerous animals, people and diseases that will try and kill you at the first opportunity.

Make sure you get your shots before you go anywhere near there.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Davka"The FSM made Alabama so Tennesseans would have someone to look down on.

Run. Flee. The madness is all-encompassing, you cannot hope to survive. Oh, and the weather sucks, too.

QFT/
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.