News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Half-Cracked Drug Theory

Started by Dreamer, February 22, 2013, 11:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamer

Okay, I was reading a news article.  Here it is: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/big%E2%80 ... fault=true

. . .  And I thought:  What would happen if the government controlled this stuff (the price and access)?  What if the price of it was very small, so small that no one would seek to make a business at it--there would not be high profits in the drug trade itself.  

Would this make the use of the drug increase due to the easier access (it's much much cheaper and in this scenario, they would at least be "tolerated" in a legal sense) or would it decrease due to the lack of social stigma and the drug pushing coming from the drug dealers?  Does it make a difference depending on the drug?

I think for marijuana--we would see an increase of use.  I think it wouldn't be long-lasting and would likely, given time, decrease to a lesser rate than currently use.  But I think for harsher, more dangerous drugs like meth, heroin, etc.--the use would decrease.  I know *I* wouldn't be running out the door to try some, regardless of if it were legal.  It is not for legal reasons that I have always avoided them--it is for my own health.

Anyway.

Any thoughts, or do I just need to go to bed?
<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

Plu

QuoteI think for marijuana--we would see an increase of use.

This turns out to be false. There are more pot smokers (percentage wise) in the US, where you can go to jail for a long time for doing it, than there are in the Netherlands, where you can buy it legally and for cheap in just about every city. So much, that we've actually changed the meaning of the word 'coffeeshop' to mean 'a place that sells weed' instead of one that sells coffee.

LoneQuietus

I pretty much agree. I think usage of marijuana would go up a little bit then drop. I think there might be a backlash of drug use by the curious, but I think it would pass. The stigma on drugs would still be there, but I think people would be more willing to educate themselves on their use. I know, as a person who has done a lot of drugs, that I would only use them recreationally and very occasionally. Honestly, the only thing I'd be interested in would be doing some E with my gf every now and again. I've found it's good for our relationship to, about once a year, roll and have a few heart-to-hearts and some mind-blowing sex with the person I love in the privacy of my own home.
Memento Mori

Dreamer

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteI think for marijuana--we would see an increase of use.

This turns out to be false. There are more pot smokers (percentage wise) in the US, where you can go to jail for a long time for doing it, than there are in the Netherlands, where you can buy it legally and for cheap in just about every city. So much, that we've actually changed the meaning of the word 'coffeeshop' to mean 'a place that sells weed' instead of one that sells coffee.

I think it would be a temporary increase in use, but I am almost certain that it would increase.  I know the stats about the Netherlands, hence why I believe it would eventually be a much lower amount than what we currently have.
<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

AllPurposeAtheist

Use will likely go up unless advertising is prohibited, but.marketing lobbyists will demand to advertise and what big money wants big money gets. Once they have half naked women and studly guys telling us being a pot head is sexy and will.get you laid then usage will go through the roof and the superbowl will be smoked sponsored by bud..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

commonsense822

Quote from: "Dreamer"What if the price of it was very small, so small that no one would seek to make a business at it--there would not be high profits in the drug trade itself.

We can also make the first one free too.......

Aroura33

I'm not sure how marijuana use could increase.  I can't remember exact statistics, but hasn't something like over 80% of the adult population of the US tried pot?  Heck, even my mom tried it, and she's as straight an arrow as you can be.  Matter of fact, we had a conversation with my elderly aunt recently, and she admitted she'd tried it several times, too.  

I suppose it could increase slightly, but really, everyone who wants to try it pretty much already does, even with it being illegal.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Aroura33"I'm not sure how marijuana use could increase.  I can't remember exact statistics, but hasn't something like over 80% of the adult population of the US tried pot?  Heck, even my mom tried it, and she's as straight an arrow as you can be.  Matter of fact, we had a conversation with my elderly aunt recently, and she admitted she'd tried it several times, too.  

I suppose it could increase slightly, but really, everyone who wants to try it pretty much already does, even with it being illegal.

What about those who do not use it due to drug tests for employment? What about those who try it on occasion but who can't get a reliable supply of it such as those in the countryside? What about those who are afraid to try it because of its illegal status?

Nihil-ist

The drug war is such a waste of money.
Other countries have seemed to have success in decriminalization. It's just that if it's not totally legal the money is still going to crime based operations right?
I doubt everyone is honest when asked about drug use for a survey. It's really hard to tell.

They should probably set up some system where you have to register.
You get finger prints and stuff. They give you a card that allows you to go into a "drug" shop. DEA/Police that are no longer needed can work to guard these places. Funded and run from the tax money collected.
They should separate shops by the type of drug.
The idea being if someone was stealing to get money for meth when they go to the shop they have all their info and can nab them. It might be traceable if your buying stuff from the shop and trying to sell it on the street.
Really this is just some random brainstorming. It wouldn't be a good idea to leave the gov in charge of it. It also wouldn't just be that simple.

There could actually be real research into harms and benefits of some drugs though.
The label of drugs is dumb to me since it covers everything from crack to antibacterial dish soap.

The stigma stops people from having access to useful substances.
Consciousness altering substances should be respected and not treated like just something to party party party on. I think that mostly stems from them being illegal.
Just look at some of these links.
Mushrooms and salvia for depression, anxiety, positive outlook, and acceptance of death in terminally ill.
//http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=salvia-on-schedule
//http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/09/06/magic.mushrooms.ease.anxiety/index.html
//http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/24/magic-mushrooms_n_1228052.html
//http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-29/magic-mushrooms-can-make-lasting-personality-changes-study-says.html
Addiction treatment with ibogaine and ayahuasca.
//http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-07/fighting-drugs-drugs
//http://www.voanews.com/content/potent-jungle-vine-brew-has-potential-to-treat-addiction-88923322/171118.html

It's inanity that everything is still treated the same. Where does all this ignorance come from? Was it puritanical views, governments, or something else?
"At some point in human history there were no gods."
"Deus est mortuus logica obtinet"

Davka

If we legalize everything, we need to accompany that with some serious education on the effects of various drugs. Not the bullshit we get from the gummint today, but honest info. Coke makes you an arrogant ass. Heroin is a stupid waste, but can be managed, similar to nicotine. Meth seriously fucks you up in so many ways it's not funny. Psychoactive drugs are only for the emotionally stable. Etc.

Davka

Quote from: "Nihil-ist"It's inanity that everything is still treated the same. Where does all this ignorance come from? Was it puritanical views, governments, or something else?
It's fear. The government saw what happened in the 60s with LSD and totally freaked.