News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ask a Catholic

Started by CatholicCrusader, July 19, 2014, 08:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leo

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 03:47:36 PM
if scripture didn't say so I certainly would not believe that such an action were a good thing. Apparently God believes in to be the solution.
Because your god is a asshole.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Nam

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 02:36:56 PM
.your statement is false.  I never said that I said I wouldn't respond to every question.  if I forgot about an earlier question I asked you to remind me and I will get to them even if it isn't instantaneously or within 24 hours.

I said I wouldn't respond to every post. Not every post contains a question.

Don't be a semantic dick. We all know what you meant. Stop playing word games.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

CatholicCrusader

Quote from: Nam on August 01, 2014, 03:49:52 PM
Don't be a semantic dick. We all know what you meant. Stop playing word games.

-Nam
I know what I meant and you will read what I meant not only in that post but in previous posts if you'd like me to give you the quotes or the number of the post I will , but I'd rather you just went back and figure it out for yourself.

tell me that I am lying in this post and I will prove you wrong.

your statement was false and I know that with a complete 100 percent certainty.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Poison Tree

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 03:47:36 PM
if scripture didn't say so I certainly would not believe that such an action were a good thing. Apparently God believes in to be the solution.
Why surrender your moral compass to the bible? Are you also ok with slavery and genocide? The bible is. What is your position on killing babies? I know that Catholics are ordered to think that abortion is murder (setting aside the argument over fetus vs baby) but the bible say that, not only did god order babies to be killed, he actually killed them with his own hand.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

CatholicCrusader

Quote from: Poison Tree on August 01, 2014, 04:10:46 PM
Why surrender your moral compass to the bible? Are you also ok with slavery and genocide? The bible is. What is your position on killing babies? I know that Catholics are ordered to think that abortion is murder (setting aside the argument over fetus vs baby) but the bible say that, not only did god order babies to be killed, he actually killed them with his own hand.
well the church doesn't always and usually doesn't take the Bible to be literal.  God has the authority to give and take away.  he can create a creature and then remove the creature.

I believe that life begins at conception.  however I would rather a person w ere to die as a baby than live a life of suffering as so many people do and dying in agony.  but at the same time I do not claim myself to be smarter than God.

Poison Tree

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 04:20:55 PM
well the church doesn't always and usually doesn't take the Bible to be literal.  God has the authority to give and take away.  he can create a creature and then remove the creature.

I believe that life begins at conception.  however I would rather a person w ere to die as a baby than live a life of suffering as so many people do and dying in agony.  but at the same time I do not claim myself to be smarter than God.
I don't know what questions you were trying to answer there, but you certainly didn't address mine. But, you know, if you actually want to try and show that genocide and slavery and child killing in the bible was not to be taken literally go ahead. You excuses for that couldn't be any more pathetic then your last reply already is.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

CatholicCrusader

.no I do not believe in slavery or genocide.

jesus said that the greatest commandment is to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  we are commanded to love our enemies.

Poison Tree

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 05:11:24 PM

jesus said that the greatest commandment is to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  we are commanded to love our enemies.
Are you saying that god was wrong to, according to the bible, sanction slavery and order (not to mention author) genocide?

Icarus

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 05:11:24 PM

I think he was talking about killing people with a smile on your face.

http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm

Remember, you don't have to take everything in the bible literally right? By killing your enemies with a smile you are showing them love by making them meet with your god the instant you kill them. Once they have met your god, they are now followers of your religion, thus you have shown them the greatest love your religion can give.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 02:46:16 PM
as Catholic we believe that the Catholic Church was qualified to decide the original Canon goes back to Acts chapter 15.  the apostles as the Church authority of that time had a council and they made a decision that totally contradicted the Scriptures of that time, but since they are the church authorities they were guided by the Holy Spirit and their decision was final.

the Church believes that the authority of the Apostles was passed on to their successors.  when the church has a council we believe that that council is guided by the Holy Spirit as was the council in Acts chapter 15.  so the Church believes that the decisions of the councils of Rome, Carthage, and hippo were guided by the Holy Spirit and this was the canon that God desired.
So you admit that the Catholic Church's authority is only a matter of their belief. They believe that they were guided by the holy spirit, and so they believe that their decision in choosing the biblical canon was correct.

In short, there were no actual qualifications in the church when choosing canon. That is, there was nobody with specific knowledge and skills accumulated by study that allowed them to discriminate between what actually represented a hypothetical "god's" desires and man's desires. Hell, there were no assurances at all that any of the candidates for canon were genuinely "god's" desires at all.

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 02:46:16 PM
Martin Luther decided that he knew better.  Protestants accept his decision on the canon.
False. Martin Luther did not rewrite the canon. At best, he translated it into his native German, because he knew that in order for a person to be his own clergy, he would have to be able to read and understand the bible. But the bible he translated was the same bible that the Catholic church used.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Bibliofagus

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on July 31, 2014, 02:00:36 PM
No I wouldn't but perhaps God would permit it for the greater good.

Nononono. YOU told me suffering is for the greater good.
My question is: do you try to make the life of your loved ones more miserable? And if you don't... Why not?
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

CatholicCrusader

Quote from: Poison Tree on August 01, 2014, 05:33:21 PM
Are you saying that god was wrong to, according to the bible, sanction slavery and order (not to mention author) genocide?
I say in my personal opinion it looks wrong.  jesus never said killing people including your enemies is ok and neither does the Catechism.

however God gets to decide what's right and what's wrong, not me.  sometimes if a limb gets infected you have to cut it off to save the rest of the body.

that could possibly be the philosophy behind the removal of some of those cities in the Old Testament.

CatholicCrusader

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on August 01, 2014, 05:56:10 PM
So you admit that the Catholic Church's authority is only a matter of their belief. They believe that they were guided by the holy spirit, and so they believe that their decision in choosing the biblical canon was correct.

In short, there were no actual qualifications in the church when choosing canon. That is, there was nobody with specific knowledge and skills accumulated by study that allowed them to discriminate between what actually represented a hypothetical "god's" desires and man's desires. Hell, there were no assurances at all that any of the candidates for canon were genuinely "god's" desires at all.
False. Martin Luther did not rewrite the canon. At best, he translated it into his native German, because he knew that in order for a person to be his own clergy, he would have to be able to read and understand the bible. But the bible he translated was the same bible that the Catholic church used.
Martin Luther removed 7 books that had been in the canon of the Christian Bible for almost 1200 years prior to his decision.

Poison Tree

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on August 01, 2014, 06:40:05 PM
however God gets to decide what's right and what's wrong, not me. 
So you are surrendering moral compass. But why? Why does god, especially via the bible, get to make moral decisions, and not you? What do you do when your personal views conflict with what you are told god wants you to do, just close your eyes, hold your nose and to with the flow?