News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post Funny Videos

Started by wolf39us, February 20, 2013, 01:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 01, 2020, 01:32:03 PM
It was a joke playing upon...well, that would kill the joke.

LOL, OK.

QuoteI'm talking about these plastic monstrosities:
$1 or more for like 2-3 ounces of the stuff.  That same dollar will get you 3-4 ounces of canned tuna (drained weight).  And while the canned variety is slightly harder to open, the pouches are slightly harder to dispense with a greater likelihood of waste, so it's basically a wash on convenience.

Oh yeah I looked it up then. Bad English/writing. But they're so small. I think we don't have those...not sure. It could be too expensive for this region. It looks like pet food.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Under the revolution, all you bug people will eat bugs ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 08, 2020, 04:15:56 PMThe Galactic Federation interviews Earth for membership.

https://twitter.com/vinn_ayy/status/1336178629450018817?s=20
To be fair, we're just a .73 type civilization.  Don't be surprised that Baltic Avenue doesn't have fiber optic.

Also, it would probably help if the first contact representatives were either Canadian or German.  Unless they're big on history, then go with the Canadians.

Gawdzilla Sama

I read a story once where a guy noticed that the farther away a letter's destination the faster it arrived. Further tests showed delivery time inverse to distance. So he wrote a letter to the Head Postmaster on Arcturus and dropped in his corner mail box. When he got home there was a Representative of the Interstellar Post Service waiting for him, and hold a letter asking the planet to join the Service. All you had to do to join the Galactic civilization was figure out that they had a postal service.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

There was an Oxford study a couple of years ago that concluded that there are almost certainly no alien civilizations in the observable universe. I think that is almost certainly correct.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 08, 2020, 07:12:18 PM
There was an Oxford study a couple of years ago that concluded that there are almost certainly no alien civilizations in the observable universe. I think that is almost certainly correct.

I'd like to see that, because I highly doubt that is an accurate assumption to make. Considering how many planets are estimated to be within the habitable zones of their stars in the Milky Way galaxy alone. There could be several planets with life on them in our galaxy that we are currently unable to find. Whether or not that life is intelligent, though, is another discussion. A planet could be teaming with life and still have no intelligent life forms. Heck, there could be a planet where nothing but single celled organisms could survive. Extremophiles could exist on planets we might not even consider.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Last I heard there were potentially 36 in this galaxy alone.  Admittedly, that's a very optimistic figure.  A more conservative estimation would be a dozen or less.

And even though 36 makes it sound like the galaxy is teeming with civilizations, it's a big galaxy (space is unbelievably big) so there would be something like 17,000 light-years between each one.  A large enough distance that communication let alone travel is really, really, really hard.

But there are upwards of 2 trillion galaxies in the universe, although the Milky Way is a fairly large and metal-rich one.  Let's say that there's on average 2 intelligent civilizations per galaxy.  That's 4 trillion in the observable universe.

Unbeliever

I just posted elsewhere about Haim Eshed, but you'll have to google it, I don't know how to put the link here with my phone.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 08, 2020, 07:52:37 PM
I'd like to see that, because I highly doubt that is an accurate assumption to make. Considering how many planets are estimated to be within the habitable zones of their stars in the Milky Way galaxy alone. There could be several planets with life on them in our galaxy that we are currently unable to find. Whether or not that life is intelligent, though, is another discussion. A planet could be teaming with life and still have no intelligent life forms. Heck, there could be a planet where nothing but single celled organisms could survive. Extremophiles could exist on planets we might not even consider.

I don't think it's an "assumption," they looked closely at the question and put forward their best conclusion. Of course they know they could be wrong - they are scientists, after all.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 08, 2020, 07:52:37 PM

Especially the lava planet that rains rocks ... Hell Boy!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Oxford denies intelligent life exists at Cambridge ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 08, 2020, 05:02:24 PM
I read a story once where a guy noticed that the farther away a letter's destination the faster it arrived. Further tests showed delivery time inverse to distance. So he wrote a letter to the Head Postmaster on Arcturus and dropped in his corner mail box. When he got home there was a Representative of the Interstellar Post Service waiting for him, and hold a letter asking the planet to join the Service. All you had to do to join the Galactic civilization was figure out that they had a postal service.
Agh, I can't remember the title, I believe that's in 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories.  If I can find my copy, I'll look it up.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

A-HA!  I was right, it is in that book, the story is "Mail Supremacy" by Hayford Pierce.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan