There is no moral imperative in atheism

Started by augustine, February 14, 2013, 08:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

augustine

There is no moral imperative in atheism, so you cannot logically argue against the crimes of Christianity. An atheist can NEVER, NEVER, NEVER say that the crusades were "wrong", because no such category exists for atheists. For the atheist, there are merely different ethical theories that would approach an issue of the morality of the crusades differently.

Atheists break with their belief system when they try to argue that there is some objective standard against which they can argue the Bible is a book of violence and genocide. For the atheist, these categories have no moral authority.

Atheists who want to be consistent with their beliefs would prove their ethical categories before they attacked the Bible.

wolf39us

There's a claim made here.

There is no "morality" without God?  Is this what you are saying?

augustine

Yes, that is what I am saying. What is the morality without God? If someone says "genocide is wrong", what do those words refer to? Why should anyone care?

augustine

And if there is a morality that emerges, how do you know which one to follow? How do you know to follow the ones that disagree with the Bible, verses the ones that agree with it? Can you just pick the ones that disagree?

aitm

If morality supersedes god, then "man's" morality far away exceeds gods, for the gods cannot sacrifice themselves for the pure act of selfless sacrifice, whereas humanity has proven itself not just willing but eager. God(s) have no right nor reason to judge humanity.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

augustine

Quote from: "aitm"God(s) have no right nor reason to judge humanity.

Prove it.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

wolf39us

Quote from: "augustine"
Quote from: "aitm"God(s) have no right nor reason to judge humanity.

Prove it.

The burden of proof lies on you my friend.  There's two problems with your statement.

A.  We do not accept the existence of God/Gods
B.  The person making the claim always has the burden of proof

So in order to make a sound argument, you would first need to present evidence of the existence of God and then evidence that God is a "morality" giver.

augustine

But you are making a claim against the Bible, that the Bible is genocidal, misogynistic, etc. Prove that standard is valid. I am not talking about whether God exists or not, I talking about the morality of atheists.

If God does not exist, the atheist still requires some ground for their criticisms of Christianity. They still must have a reason to reject the Christian God.

wolf39us

Where did I make a claim against the bible?

augustine

That is the hallmark of the atheist movement, to claim the Bible is genocidal, misogynistic, fascistic, etc. Atheists routinely make those claims, in fact I have seen them on this board.

wolf39us

Snow_Storm

augustine you left the chat before you could tell me what cereal you liked.

aitm

auggie tries to claim that "god" is the giver of morality, I have proven otherwise and she left.

augustine

aitm you are complaining about Christian approaches to philosophy of religion? I will take the lack of a serious response as a lack of understanding.