Ken Ham Debuts Fossil Dinosaur as Proof of Creationism

Started by stromboli, May 23, 2014, 02:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/23/ken_hams_latest_pseudo_science_creation_museum_to_unveil_a_dinosaur_skeleton_as_proof_of_biblical_flood/

QuoteOn Saturday, Ken Ham, founder and president of the Creation Museum in Kentucky, will have a longtime dream fulfilled: The museum will display the skeleton of the dinosaur Allosaurus fragilis.

Ham, as you may recall, debated Bill Nye the Science Guy about evolution back in February, and Ham’s Answers in Genesis has not been pleased with Neil deGrasse Tyson’s “Cosmos,” which week after week disproves creationism.

The dinosaur, named Ebenezer, was donated by the Elizabeth Streb Peroutka Foundation (an antiabortion organization), and according to the museum it is one of the best preserved of its kind.

The skeleton will be on display as “a testament to the truths found in God’s Word, and not be used to indoctrinate our kids with belief in evolution,” a statement from the museum read. Young-earth creationists reject the scientific fact of evolution, and believe that the earth is 6,000 years old, in accordance with the Bible.

Dr. Andrew Snelling, a geologist who works for the museum and creationist organization Answers in Genesis, calls this skeleton evidence of the biblical flood 4,500 years ago.

According to the museum, he said “that the intact skeleton of this allosaur is a testimony to an extremely rapid burial, which is confirmation of the global catastrophe of a Flood a few thousand years ago.” The dinosaur bones, according to Snelling, were found in their correct anatomical positions.

The Allosaurus fragilis resembles a smaller T. rex, and this particular skeleton, according to the museum, is 30-feet long.

“(This) fulfills a dream I’ve had for quite some time,” Ham said according to Raw Story. “For decades I’ve walked through many leading secular museums, like the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C., and have seen their impressive dinosaur skeletons, but they were used for evolution. Now we have one of that class for our museum.”

The museum did not release any information about the radio-carbon date of the skeleton, or the geological age of the earth it was buried in. According to other sources, including the National Park Service and Yale, the dinosaur Allosaurus fragilis roamed the earth during the late Jurassic Period, which was around 145 to 155 million years ago.

Makes sense if you think about it. Got these millions of fossils lying around you have to account for, might as well claim something irrelevant as truth, and then simply neglect to mention anything that would disprove your proof. This is theistic thinking at its finest.

The Skeletal Atheist

Well, I'm convinced. See ya guys, I'm off to go to church every Sunday and tell gay people to go to hell.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Solitary

:wtff:  How in the world does that prove a flood of biblical proportions? It only proves there was a flood. And there are no bones of dinosaurs just fossils. Another example of top down thinking from God, to flood, to dinosaur. Example: OJ is a kind and nice family man, a great football player, he couldn't have done what he is accused of, it was the drug cartels because his wife was a drug addict and owed them money.  :wall:  Solitary.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

There are so many obvious responses I don't know where to begin.

If the flood scenario were true, there would be an enormous admixture of bones found of all different species at the same level of strata and of the same age. Modern elephants would be mixed with Giant Sloths and Mastodons. Dinosaurs would be intermingled with modern giraffes, rhinos and whatnot. One of the proofs of evolution is that geologic strata reveals animals of a type and development consistent with evolutionary theory.

The number of found dinosaur and pre-Pliocene fossils is estimated in the billions. there are quarries being unearthed all over the world. The La Brea Tar Pits alone have yielded hundreds of complete fossils, and all of them of the same era of time.

Ken Ham is not an idiot and I don't believe he is that stupid. the man is a huckster, period.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Green Bottle

The fact that this man spouts this rubbish is bad enuff, but that other ppl would actually believe it is well,  fuckin unbelievable.........
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: 10 Green Bottles..... on May 23, 2014, 05:40:43 PM
The fact that this man spouts this rubbish is bad enuff, but that other ppl would actually believe it is well,  fuckin unbelievable.........
You've never been to Kinfucky, I take it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Green Bottle

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 23, 2014, 06:12:18 PM
You've never been to Kinfucky, I take it.
No mate, im from Scotland and to be honest we've got our fair share of nutjobs over here but some of ur american nutters really take the biscuit.......................an thats putting it politely.. :wall:

stromboli

Yeah, hate to say it. But don't forget that you only have a population of just over 5 million, whereas we've got 317 million. Even then I think we stil have a bigger percentage of nutters.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: 10 Green Bottles..... on May 23, 2014, 06:37:18 PM
No mate, im from Scotland and to be honest we've got our fair share of nutjobs over here but some of ur american nutters really take the biscuit.......................an thats putting it politely.. :wall:
Yeah, well I'm still trying to find Edinborough on a map.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 23, 2014, 07:41:41 PM

Take it from me, don't try to find it from the Glasgow direction. They erased all the markers. Once mentioned Edinborough in a bar in Glasgow and almost ended up in a fight. They really don't like each other.

Hydra009

QuoteAccording to the museum, he said “that the intact skeleton of this allosaur is a testimony to an extremely rapid burial
So, basically, like a lot of fossils.  What a surprise.

Next up:  chicken eggs come from chickens.

Quotewhich is confirmation of the global catastrophe of a Flood a few thousand years ago.”
Bahahaha!  No.  Only off by a few hundred million years.  Also, confirmation bias, much?

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on May 23, 2014, 04:30:43 PMIf the flood scenario were true, there would be an enormous admixture of bones found of all different species at the same level of strata and of the same age. Modern elephants would be mixed with Giant Sloths and Mastodons. Dinosaurs would be intermingled with modern giraffes, rhinos and whatnot. One of the proofs of evolution is that geologic strata reveals animals of a type and development consistent with evolutionary theory.
Which for anybody with even a basic understanding of ecology, is absolutely pants-on-head crazy!  Jeez, what would the food web for that even look like?!

And then there's post-Flood hyperevolution.  If creationists thought regular evolution was implausible, try imagining a few different "kinds" of animals leaving the Ark, getting to wherever landmasses they're native to somehow (it might have been a bit of a slow trip for the world's sloths), and then branching out into dozens if not hundreds of different species over the course of just a few thousand years.

Green Bottle

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 23, 2014, 07:41:41 PM
You could try finding a theosaurus 1st so you could spell it correctly,  :rotflmao:

after me...e din burgh..... got it?      :wall:

Quote from: stromboli on May 23, 2014, 08:05:44 PM
Take it from me, don't try to find it from the Glasgow direction. They erased all the markers. Once mentioned Edinborough in a bar in Glasgow and almost ended up in a fight. They really don't like each other.

Its not that we dont like each other its more of a friendly rivalry, and the fact that they're arseholes on the east coast...... :axe: :axe: