New Devlopments in the Ukraine

Started by GrinningYMIR, March 01, 2014, 11:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

The other thread was growing too large to show its importance

So right now we've got Russian troops poised to go into Crimea, the Eastern part of the Ukraine which is illegal by the way, according to the UN charter.

It looks to me a lot like what Hitler did to Czechoslovakia in the 30's and now the world is going to see what happens.

CNN broadcast: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/01/world/eur ... ?hpt=hp_t1

http://news.yahoo.com/russia-approves-m ... 15025.html
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

GrinningYMIR

Massive number of Ukrainian coast guard just defected to the Black Sea fleet
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Moriarty

It's all rather pointless. The U.S. is going to back down anyway and the Ukraine will probably get crushed. The U.N. can't do shit because Russia, like the U.S., France, and the U.K. have automatic veto power that the Russians are sure to use. Tyranny wins again.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

Hijiri Byakuren

I seem to remember reading in one of the Reddit threads on this that Ukrainian law allows the Russians to operate in Crimea.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Moriarty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-war.html

Apparently we're bound by treaty to protect Ukraine's borders. Are we worth our word, or just a meaningless piece of paper? Probably the later.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

The Skeletal Atheist

Fucking shit. I step away from reading about Ukraine for a bit and this happens. Putin is a fucking bastard, that's for sure.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

GrinningYMIR

"This piece of paper means peace in our time"

We'll have to see what's happening.

AllPurposeAtheist

I gotta tell you I'm in no big hurry to be Ukraines protectoarate and have no allegiance to them and damned sure not eager to see my son risk his neck for Ukrainians or anyone else's sons for that matter.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Poison Tree

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"It looks to me a lot like what Hitler did to Czechoslovakia in the 30's and now the world is going to see what happens.
I think it is more like what Russia did to Georgia in 2008.

The truth about foreign policy is that there is a distinct advantage--at least in the short term--in acting like the craziest guy in the room. North Korea can sink a South Korean boat and shell one of their islands because they know the south will knuckle under rather than risk Seoul being shelled in a widening crisis. Putin knows he can throw his weight around because the west will, ultimately, not WWIII/risk nuclear annihilation over Crimea.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Moriarty"http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2570335/Former-British-Ambassador-Moscow-warns-Russia-invaded-Ukraine-difficult-avoid-going-war.html

Apparently we're bound by treaty to protect Ukraine's borders. Are we worth our word, or just a meaningless piece of paper? Probably the later.
The problem here is who is the legitimate government? Russia will say that Yanukovich is, and he can authorize Russian troops in Ukraine.

GrinningYMIR

So the Russians have officially taken Crimea

AllPurposeAtheist

Well, if you're willing to lose your head over Ukraine feel free to enlist right away. I'm sure the army will soon be looking for a few good men.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Valigarmander

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"So the Russians have officially taken Crimea

Source?

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: "Valigarmander"
Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"So the Russians have officially taken Crimea

Source?

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-troops-ov ... 52097.html

AP