News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How Far We've Came With Music

Started by Solitary, November 10, 2013, 10:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"modern version of classical. wonder what Bach would have thought of this "piece"? LMAO!

Writer posted a YouTube video

That isn't a modern version of classical, that is at best avant-garde.

Contemporary Classical-
[youtube:3024koxb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC8RKY2qF9o[/youtube:3024koxb]

[youtube:3024koxb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGlRfXlMcwk[/youtube:3024koxb]

[youtube:3024koxb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psUmxWZUP0c[/youtube:3024koxb]

[youtube:3024koxb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGs_vGt0MY8[/youtube:3024koxb]

Besides mixing up two completely different genres you are again taking the worst and saying, because it is bad, therefor everything in the present is bad too, which is just being downright dishonest.

If you went back to when you consider "better" music, you could find artists producing terrible music. But that doesn't mean that, if I was to link a shitty country song that has been lost in time because it was just bad and was around before the internet, doesn't mean that therefor all country music of the past is bad and modern country music is therefor inherently better.

Likewise there were garbage composers in the Classical era who probably did things very much like the video you linked. The thing is they did it before the internet was around so no one outside their (probably small, as the video above is also) market would have heard it and it was therefor lost to time.

The amount of dishonesty in this thread to prove people's musical taste is obviously superiour is getting a bit sad.

Edit: Sorry, I left out some other great pieces (if we want to include Avant Garde as classical, then these would be easily classical as well)

[youtube:3024koxb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASj81daun5Q[/youtube:3024koxb]

[youtube:3024koxb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Kwf_nNmGI[/youtube:3024koxb]

[youtube:3024koxb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRh-dzrI4Z4[/youtube:3024koxb]

[youtube:3024koxb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hncC_s6XlM[/youtube:3024koxb]
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

hillbillyatheist

LMAO Shiranu you're taking my last post way too seriously. I don't think all modern classical is like that.

to be honest my post was more meant to get people reacting to 4'33" than to prove all modern classical sucks. I don't listen to much in that style, so I wouldn't know. I do know how I reacted to John Cage in music appreciation class a couple years ago. I get a kick out of seeing others reactions when I share this with them.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

hillbillyatheist

btw something that just occurred to me. when it comes down to it, music is subjective. in truth we can't even say anything sucks because thats just a matter of personal taste.

how can you prove objectively and scientifically that Justin Beiber sucks? you can't.

most people know when you say "X sucks" that you really mean that YOU think X sucks and that you're not making a universal decree that all must agree with. (at least most people as I know some people really do think you should agree with them on everything or else)

I think with that in a mind a similar case could be made for folks bitching because they feel left out of the loop with what plays on modern radio.

When people say "whatever happened to good music" what they really mean is "whatever happened to the days when I knew the names of all the artists on the radio and liked what they play."

now get off my lawn. LOL
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

aileron

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"how can you prove objectively and scientifically that Justin Beiber sucks? you can't.

Just like curing cancer and communicable diseases, let's hope science will find a way to do this too.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

hillbillyatheist

Quote from: "aileron"
Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"how can you prove objectively and scientifically that Justin Beiber sucks? you can't.

Just like curing cancer and communicable diseases, let's hope science will find a way to do this too.

:rollin:

just click here

Solitary

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"btw something that just occurred to me. when it comes down to it, music is subjective. in truth we can't even say anything sucks because thats just a matter of personal taste.

how can you prove objectively and scientifically that Justin Beiber sucks? you can't.

most people know when you say "X sucks" that you really mean that YOU think X sucks and that you're not making a universal decree that all must agree with. (at least most people as I know some people really do think you should agree with them on everything or else)

I think with that in a mind a similar case could be made for folks bitching because they feel left out of the loop with what plays on modern radio.

When people say "whatever happened to good music" what they really mean is "whatever happened to the days when I knew the names of all the artists on the radio and liked what they play."

now get off my lawn. LOL

I can say rap sucks because it has no melody unless written by professional writers. And singers now that think singing is shouting is noise to me. Jim Morrison is one of the few singers that knew when to shout and pull it off for effect. And I just can't stand when singer stylize their singing to death, especially the National Anthem that I'm not that fond of to begin with. It's true that taste is subjective, but music or art still has fundamental rules or it becomes chaos and noise or ugly. Ever see a painting by Pollack or watch the girl on Seinfeld dance?  :rollin:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

hillbillyatheist

Funny coincidence, I just found out about a newcomer to country called Kacey Musgraves. her songs defend atheists, gays, the poor, feminism, etc. they sound good and folksy too.
she is quoted saying on her website,

"I would love to change things about country," she said. "I think we need to be a little more accepting. If you listen to every other genre there's no issue talking about pot or homosexuality or atheism or whatever it is. But you move to our genre and you're like X'd if you bring up any of that. And that makes me want to say it even more."

so good music and that kind of attitude, and yeah she's got a new fan.  

kinda gives me hope. in more ways then one. figured this thread was a good place to mention it. here's one thats straight up country. a song about people minding their own damned business.

[youtube:1ya0g1kp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ugS08zy1cA[/youtube:1ya0g1kp]

just click here

Plu

They did actually run a research on pop music quality by measuring how many different words and concepts songs were written about, and they saw a steady decline in complexity of the song, words used, and content. So I guess you can objectively say that pop music is becoming simpler and simpler.

Shiranu

Quote from: "Plu"They did actually run a research on pop music quality by measuring how many different words and concepts songs were written about, and they saw a steady decline in complexity of the song, words used, and content. So I guess you can objectively say that pop music is becoming simpler and simpler.

I would agree that pop music is going downhill.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

hillbillyatheist

Quote from: "Plu"They did actually run a research on pop music quality by measuring how many different words and concepts songs were written about, and they saw a steady decline in complexity of the song, words used, and content. So I guess you can objectively say that pop music is becoming simpler and simpler.
simple isn't always bad though. at the end of the day when you think about it, music is what moves you. and some of the most moving songs I know only have 3 chords.

just click here

hillbillyatheist

btw here's proof of my point.

below is a beautiful song you can play with two chords, simple melody, simple chords.

below that is a very complicated piece that frankly sucks ass.

and yes its a real musical piece, I learned about in music appreciation.

[youtube:1i1pr2fp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njG7p6CSbCU[/youtube:1i1pr2fp]

[youtube:1i1pr2fp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQKyYmU2tPg[/youtube:1i1pr2fp]

just click here

Plu

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"
simple isn't always bad though. at the end of the day when you think about it, music is what moves you. and some of the most moving songs I know only have 3 chords.

Simple things can be good, but people who never move beyond simple things generally aren't. If the most popular genres get simpler and simpler, it means that the people listening to them aren't interested in more complex things in general (not in specifics), which I would consider a bad development.

Quotebelow is a beautiful song you can play with two chords, simple melody, simple chords.

The music might only take two chords, but the lyrics are very rich and complex, so it wouldn't be considered a 'simple song' as far as the study is concerned.

Shiranu

QuoteStupid hoes is my enemy, stupid hoes is so wack
Stupid ho shoulda befriended me then she coulda prolly came back
Stupid hoes is my enemy, stupid hoes is so wack
Stupid ho shoulda befriended me then she could've probably came back
You a stupid ho, you a stupid ho, you a stupid ho
And I ain't hit that note but fuck a stupid ho
I said fuck a stupid ho and fuck a stupid ho
I said fuck a stupid ho and fuck a stupid ho

QuoteI'm tougher than nails, I can promise you that
Step outta line and you'll get bitch-slapped back
And you can run your little mouth all day
But the hand of god just smacked you back into yesterday

Quote"Swag on you, chillin by the fire while we eatin' fondue."

"So say hello to falsetto in three, two, SWAG!"

"I don't never wanna fight, yeah, you already know. I'm a make you shine bright like you're laying in the snow. Burrr."

Quote"But don't fuck up with Wayne cause when it 'Waynes' it pours."

In this case, simpler is not better.

hillbillyatheist

Quote from: "Plu"

Simple things can be good, but people who never move beyond simple things generally aren't. If the most popular genres get simpler and simpler, it means that the people listening to them aren't interested in more complex things in general (not in specifics), which I would consider a bad development.

I can feel your pain. there's a pop tune out where like 3/4 of the lyrics are just chanting "you a stupid ho"

but that said I think music should do what suites it, neither being simple or complex for its own sake.

speaking for me I like simple 3 chorded country songs you can learned in a day, but I like me some Mozart and Bach too. and I take no shame in either. I don't see either as "better"

so simply judging music off complexity doesn't prove anything except maybe your personal prefrences. LOL

just click here

hillbillyatheist

Quote from: "Shiranu"In this case, simpler is not better.
can't argue with those. I think they suck too. bleh.

just click here