News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How Far We've Came With Music

Started by Solitary, November 10, 2013, 10:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

(Keep in mind I'm not judging the music, I'm judging the audiences of said music. I can't really blame musicians for making the kind of music people want to listen to, but I can blame the people listening to it for never advancing their tastes.)

And I'm pretty sure the simple country songs you can learn in a day have lyrics that go a few steps beyond what was posted above, which makes them not simple songs, even if they have a simple melody. The voice is an instrument, and if it's taking the lead role then obviously the other instruments sound simpler, but that doesn't make the piece as a whole simple.

hillbillyatheist

LOL yeah if there's ever a tune that can be scientifically proven to suck its "you a stupid ho" LOL
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Hydra009

Quote from: "Plu"They did actually run a research on pop music quality by measuring how many different words and concepts songs were written about, and they saw a steady decline in complexity of the song, words used, and content. So I guess you can objectively say that pop music is becoming simpler and simpler.
Over the last 50 years, it has become moodier, longer, and slightly slower (though the song length has peaked and has dwindled slightly)

Jason78

Quote from: "Solitary"And we call this music Now. :roll:  Solitary

Yeah but back in the day when Elvis was just coming onto the music scene, his performances were the Myley Cyrus Twerking of his day.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

hillbillyatheist

like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Plu

Yeah, I think that pretty much sums up everything I was trying to say and then adds some more :)

Aupmanyav

Indian music, folk and classical, thrives. All avenues, all ragas, have been thoroughly investigated. Now, musicians show individual brilliance. The love for classical music has not declined among young people, and every year we come across geniuses through TV competitions. Bombay film music - that is generally trash with western influence.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Johan

Quote from: "Plu"(Keep in mind I'm not judging the music, I'm judging the audiences of said music. I can't really blame musicians for making the kind of music people want to listen to, but I can blame the people listening to it for never advancing their tastes.)
This is the most important point of the entire thread. Everyone talks about how music changes over time and the implication is that the composers and/or performers are getting better or worse over time depending on what side of the fence you're on. But the composers and performers are now as they always have been. With rare exception, they tailor their output to the best of their ability to suit the tastes of their audience. Music isn't what has changed. The audience changed and the music followed.

Another interesting side note occurred to me as I read through this thread. Several people commenting in the thread have provided links to examples of music which supports whatever point they were attempting to make. Just about 100% of those links go to youtube. Youtube, a video service, is now the goto source for audio music on demand on the web. Seems ironic somehow.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Aupmanyav

Youtube is not good enough for Indian music. The maestros come in mood after half an hour of performance. The concert may go on for the whole night. If the performer thinks that the audience is not giving attention to his/her efforts, he/she may pack up instantly. They have their egos on the tip of their noses. :)
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)