News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How do you deal with religious relatives?

Started by Rob4you, August 28, 2013, 07:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

I respect my family and friends for being religious, I don't agree with it, I don't believe it, but I respect it because they don't try to push it on me.

If your family is made up of good people, they won't bring the subject up, and if they do, just be polite and say you don't wish to discuss it.

If they push the matter, politely but firmly state that you have no wish to talk about it.

If it continues you can refuse to be in there presence or kick them out, they don't have the right to preach about you, especially when you've made it clear that you have no desire to hear any of it.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Rob4you

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"
Quote from: "Atheon"Or you could go the "I'm not religious" route.

The trouble is that an admission of atheistic tendencies, or other statement of non-religiosity will generally lead to the religious nut in question to try and convert you or at least start some retarded conversation full of hackneyed rent-a-quotes about God etc.  That's fine if you relish the prospect of delivering a good, old-fashioned logical ass-kicking to the poor boob, but I'm guessing the OP is heading more towards the path of least resistance....  :-k

Well, yes, I suppose I want to go to the path of less conflict.

Quote from: "Brian37"We cant tell you how to deal with your relatives. Why would we? Only you know them and can gauge them better because you know them.

I have religious family members. Only one I have refused to have contact with, and not because he is religious.

I don't disown people merely because they may hold beliefs I find bat shit insane. But, I have cut off relationships, because that person, as an individual sucked the life out of me. Cutting someone out of your life is more about your own personal sanity and emotional stability than it is any subject that might divide you.

No matter the topic, money, politics, religion, or even personality. Healthy relationships are never all or nothing. It isn't about throwing yourself at them, that will simply make you a doormat. Nor is it them conforming to you.

In any situation that conflict happens over whatever subject, it is always cost benefit and comfort. What are you willing to accept without giving up your own autonomy and what are they willing to accept about you.

Life isn't a script so there is never a simple answer or blanket solution. My best advice for you is to know yourself and be yourself. Don't expect others to change for you, but don't change so much for other you simply live a lie to placate them.

Thank you, but actually I don't know them... yet, I've only heard a bit about them, I suppose that sometimes conflict is unavoidable, but I'm hoping for the best. :)

Thank you to all of you, any other advice would be appreciated.

And thank you Colanth.  :)
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring". Carl Sagan

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". Carl Sagan

"What I\'m saying is, if God wanted to send us a message, and ancient writings were the only way he could think of doing it, he could have done a better job". Carl Sagan

gomtuu77

Assuming that they don't believe in false religion, I try to encourage them in their faith or expose them to things that they may not have heard or may not have learned in their current religious environment.  However, I try to only do that kind of thing if the appropriate moment presents itself.  I tend not to push or project in environments that aren't open.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry? -

Solomon Zorn

I personally love to argue. Not when it gets personal though. Only if the other party is genuinely reasoning without arguing at-the-person or name calling. Good luck getting some Christians to keep a discussion civil. :Hangman:  But if they know you are an atheist, they are mandated by the Bible to try to save your soul. So I would be AT LEAST prepared for a little bit of preaching. Just have a thick skin, and be an example to them of "good people", if you know what I mean. You'll have to judge for yourself if there's any room at all for some healthy debate. Probably not much, I imagine.

KEEP US POSTED ON HOW IT GOES!
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

You Only Live Once

A truly awkward situation my friend, as a fellow athiest it almost seems like we are inclined to strike up a debate when a believer or creationist gives us the opportunity, however when it comes to family especially your family that is becoming close to elderly it's almost like you don't want to burst their bubble and crush there dreams of a better life after this one.

Colanth

Quote from: "gomtuu77"Assuming that they don't believe in false religion
It's YOUR request that we remember to whom we're speaking.  To an atheist, ALL religion is false.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

gomtuu77

Quote from: "Colanth"
It's YOUR request that we remember to whom we're speaking.  To an atheist, ALL religion is false.
Yes, I know, but I'm a Christian.  And I believe Christianity is true, though many churches are filled with the unregenerate.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry? -

Rob4you

Quote from: "Solomon Zorn"I personally love to argue. Not when it gets personal though. Only if the other party is genuinely reasoning without arguing at-the-person or name calling. Good luck getting some Christians to keep a discussion civil. :Hangman:  But if they know you are an atheist, they are mandated by the Bible to try to save your soul. So I would be AT LEAST prepared for a little bit of preaching. Just have a thick skin, and be an example to them of "good people", if you know what I mean. You'll have to judge for yourself if there's any room at all for some healthy debate. Probably not much, I imagine.

KEEP US POSTED ON HOW IT GOES!

Thanks, but actually I'd prefer to avoid conflict with family, at least, but of course I'll be expecting a little bit of preaching!  And about your request, will do! but relax, there's still plenty of time, they're coming next month, but I'd like to be prepared in advance, just in case.  :wink:

Quote from: "You Only Live Once"A truly awkward situation my friend, as a fellow atheist it almost seems like we are inclined to strike up a debate when a believer or creationist gives us the opportunity, however when it comes to family especially your family that is becoming close to elderly it's almost like you don't want to burst their bubble and crush there dreams of a better life after this one.

Yes, I wouldn't like to do that I think I'm a softie.  :lol:
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring". Carl Sagan

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". Carl Sagan

"What I\'m saying is, if God wanted to send us a message, and ancient writings were the only way he could think of doing it, he could have done a better job". Carl Sagan

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "gomtuu77"Assuming that they don't believe in false religion,

You mean like Christianity to everyone who isn't a Christian?
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

DunkleSeele

Quote from: "gomtuu77"Assuming that they don't believe in false religion, I try to encourage them in their faith or expose them to things that they may not have heard or may not have learned in their current religious environment.  However, I try to only do that kind of thing if the appropriate moment presents itself.  I tend not to push or project in environments that aren't open.
The OP was actually asking advice on how to deal with people like you, not on how you would deal with your fellow proselytizers (that is, circle jerking).

DunkleSeele

Quote from: "Rob4you"Hello everybody, it's been a while, I've been very busy, but now I'm here again.

Ok, the thing is that some relatives of my mother are coming to visit us in Costa Rica, they have lived in U.S.A. for many many years, in fact some of them were born there, anyway, it seems that they're really religious freaks (protestant christians) from what I've heard so far, (I REALLY REALLY hope that they're not fundies, that would be really uncomfortable...  :shock: )

I've met very religious relatives (from Costa Rica though) and it hasn't been so bad, but I always hated "the questions" and how they seemed to want to push you towards adopting their beliefs system, and the majority of them have been catholics, and some protestants here and there.

And I know that there can be religious freaks in any part of the world, but I'm a bit worried about those from the U.S.   :-k
So I was wondering what should I do, and I'd like a bit of advice from you guys.

P.S.
Some of them come from New York, so I suppose I shouldn't be too worried about those...  :wink:
When they come to your place, open the door wearing only an apron on which you've drawn a pentagram with blood. Holding a knife would be a nice plus. That should set them straight.

Or you could try to just avoid any religious discussion and tell them politely that religion is a private matter and you don't feel comfortable talking about it.

(I still prefer the first option, though...)

Colanth

Quote from: "gomtuu77"
Quote from: "Colanth"It's YOUR request that we remember to whom we're speaking.  To an atheist, ALL religion is false.
Yes, I know, but I'm a Christian.  And I believe Christianity is true
And we don't.  You want us to respect your beliefs, but you ignore ours.  Is that what true Christianity is all about?  That seems to be what you're telling us.

ApostateLois

Quote from: "gomtuu77"
Quote from: "Colanth"
Yes, I know, but I'm a Christian.  And I believe Christianity is true, though many churches are filled with the unregenerate.

I wonder why God allows those people to poison the very house where he places his name. It's like knowing there's a child molester in your house, but you let him pay room and board, and leave him to babysit your kids.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Minimalist

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Solitary"Why does an atheistic belief have to be private while theistic beliefs can be public?

Because atheism is a lack of belief.  I think that religious people are frightened by someone that doesn't have a religious belief because they don't understand it.

Doesn't that come under the general heading of "their problem?"
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Colanth

Quote from: "ApostateLois"It's like knowing there's a child molester in your house, but you let him pay room and board, and leave him to babysit your kids.
You expect God to make all Catholic churches disappear or something? :)