News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How often to theists come here?

Started by JonathanG, August 25, 2013, 06:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonathanG

I'm new here, but I've already seen three people who registered after I did make a few posts trying to argue the existence of god then disappear.

Does it happen often?  Have any theists (with the intention of arguing) stayed for more than a few days?
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous.
-Julius Caesar Act I:ii

Hijiri Byakuren

It happens often enough for me to experiment with new ways to make fun of them. I'll test-drive a new route of attack now and then, but I usually don't go into discussions with them expecting to make a new atheist. They don't come here with the intention of being convinced.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Poison Tree

From my observation, they tend to come in bunches, just to post for a few days to a week, then disappear. Then there will be a long stretch with out any, then a bunch again. I've joked that these "swarms" must coincide school dates--start of school, bible teacher telling students to proselytize, Christmas break, spring break, start of summer break--but I think that's just conformation bias on my part.

Once in a great while there will be a theist who actually sticks around for a while. Before the forum crash(es) there was a Catholic (Azzizi or something?) who was around a lot. Even these tend to hammer away on 1 topic
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

mykcob4

The theist that say exactly what they are don't bother me as much as the morons that claim to be atheist then start preaching that there has to be a god. As if they came on here and all of a sudden had a revealation and we are all suppose to see the light.
We had one just last month that called himself a Smurf and spewed alot of nonsense about a reinterpretation of the bible. He claimed to be a Vet Marine, an intellect, among other things. He was exposed. His theory (which wasn't a theory at all) was debunked and I guess he finally was embarrassed to the point of leaving.
Like someone said, "It's nice to have a chew toy once in awhile."

stromboli

Over 4 years on here, I would say they are somewhat seasonal. Seems to be a few right about Spring break, some after graduation, and some over the summer. I'm guessing the ones that are morally conflicted about going on Spring break and getting laid stay home and troll the internet, looking to justify their lack of physical satiation.

Thumpalumpacus

There aren't many theists here at all.  If you want to really hone your chops, find a site that is not dedicated to atheism, because it won't have the atheist clique that AF has.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "JonathanG"I'm new here, but I've already seen three people who registered after I did make a few posts trying to argue the existence of god then disappear.

Does it happen often?  Have any theists (with the intention of arguing) stayed for more than a few days?

They used to be a lot worse. Compared to what we used to have to deal with, the one or two I see every now and agian is nothing. I guess we're either just not as popular as we used to be, or we intimidate the pants off most of them.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

sdelsolray

Quote from: "JonathanG"I'm new here, but I've already seen three people who registered after I did make a few posts trying to argue the existence of god then disappear.

I haven't been here that long either, but I have been involved with other forums for quite some time.  I cannot put all theists who appear on non-theist friendly forums into one category.  Some are well read, patient and worthy of having a conversation with.  Others are full of YEC lies, misrepresentations and logical fallacies and are, at best, entertaining.

You Only Live Once

What bothers me is I would never go to a Christian forum to try and disprove the existence of God.

Colanth

Quote from: "You Only Live Once"What bothers me is I would never go to a Christian forum to try and disprove the existence of God.
Your "religion" doesn't tell you that you have to convert unbelievers, theirs does.  (Or at least, they misinterpret theirs to mean that they have to.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "You Only Live Once"What bothers me is I would never go to a Christian forum to try and disprove the existence of God.

Why does that bother you?  You're exemplifying the behavior you wish to see, and that's as much as you can do.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Hydra009

They tend to either get the banhammer or post-and-run.  There is the occasional non-icomplete-idiot, but that's very rare.  We usually just get the traveling salesman type.  What a waste.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"

Why does that bother you?  You're exemplifying the behavior you wish to see, and that's as much as you can do.
I think he/she means that theists' evangelical approach is bothersome.  Golden rule and all that.

It's no small irony that the really aggressive evangelizers really hate it when someone's knocking on their door.

Plu

Neither would most christians come here to try and convert us. We just get the christians outliers, and their forums get the atheist outliers.

SGOS

When I joined there was a Catholic woman here.  She remained for a very long time, and was civil enough, but in a passive aggressive way.  I think the sole purpose of her life was just to annoy people with her condescending sweetness.  Usually, I ignore theists, only engaging them once in awhile.  But I was joyful at that woman's exit.