Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How often to theists come here?

Started by JonathanG, August 25, 2013, 06:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "You Only Live Once"What bothers me is I would never go to a Christian forum to try and disprove the existence of God.

Why does that bother you?  You're exemplifying the behavior you wish to see, and that's as much as you can do.
I think he/she means that theists' evangelical approach is bothersome.  Golden rule and all that.

I understand that.  I just don't understand getting upset about the behavior of others online.  

One of the best things I learned from my dad is the understanding that I cannot control the actions of others, but I can control my reactions.
<insert witty aphorism here>

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I understand that.  I just don't understand getting upset about the behavior of others online.  

One of the best things I learned from my dad is the understanding that I cannot control the actions of others, but I can control my reactions.

Oh I get upset by behavior of others online all the time.  LOL  

and I could add to this thread that there might be a couple of polytheists still hanging out here.  I, for one, am not completely void of all my superstitions - not just yet.  I am, however, greatly improved since joining here.  lol
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

gomtuu77

I've interacted in forums for more than a year.  I'm a theist and a Christian.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry? -

Poison Tree

Quote from: "gomtuu77"I've interacted in forums for more than a year.  
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

stromboli

The Great Commission

QuoteThe Great Commission of Christianity is the instruction of the resurrected Jesus Christ to his disciples that they spread his teachings to all the nations of the world. It has become a tenet in Christian theology emphasizing ministry, missionary work, evangelism, and baptism. The Apostles are said to have dispersed from Jerusalem and founded the Apostolic Sees. Among Christian eschatological views, Preterists believe that the Great Commission and other Bible prophecy was fulfilled in the first century while Futurists believe Bible prophecy will be fulfilled at the Second Coming of Christ.

Still taught in church. This is why they come here, and why they have missionaries all over the world.

Hijiri Byakuren

I've interacted in forums for more than 7 years. I'm a real online badass.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
At least 15 years.  Back when the internet was primarily text and people preferred ask jeeves to google.

I feel old.

Colanth

Quote from: "Hydra009"
At least 15 years.  Back when the internet was primarily text and people preferred ask jeeves to google.

I feel old.
How about before the web, then?  I guess I should feel archaic.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Bobbotov

I think because this is a forum specific to atheism you will not see a lot of theists. Since I am new here what I have read about what activity you have seen so far from theists participating seems about right.

Years ago I did belong to the forum that Salon Magazine had called Table Talk (now defunct). It was a non specific forum and people could talk about anything. There were many rabid religious people there and some of the discussions were quite lively. Many flame wars that were quite entertaining. Also many cogent arguments from atheists. Not so many from theists. It is difficult with dogmatic people to argue with free thinkers. It is like a person in a straight jacket trying to box.

The pattern I have seen consistently from theists is that they have a real problem understanding anything. For the large part they don't even understand what is written in the Bible much less what atheists are saying to them. Many of them either haven't read the Bible or they spew Bible verses like automatons. Once I worked with a very nice guy except for the fact that he had the habit of spouting Bible verses in normal conversations. It was quite annoying.

But the pattern of rigid thinking is not relegated just to theists. I also follow lunatic fringe science forums just for shits and grins and the type of believers there are very similar (actually identical) to religious folks. Delusions are rampant in  the human race which at best is amusing and at worst kind of frightening.

I do believe that we are seeing an evolutionary shift in the human psyche. The grip that the supernatural has had over humans for millenia is giving away to rational thought processes. I think science more than anything has made that possible for those who understand it. Of all of the industrialized countries in the world the USA is the last holdout to atavistic beliefs. It will be that way for a while to come unfortunately.

Fidel_Castronaut

2002 was my first 'big' forum. Joined an online sci-fi forum which is now defunct, but managed to get to around 7000 posts or so, my highest total on any forum since.

Nearly getting to that total here now. I'm sure it'll feel awesome.  :rolleyes:
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Poison Tree

Quote from: "Bobbotov"Many of them either haven't read the Bible or they spew Bible verses like automatons. Once I worked with a very nice guy except for the fact that he had the habit of spouting Bible verses in normal conversations
I like to randomly spout bible verses in conversation, especially Ezekiel 23:20  :-"

[spoil:45sue2zp]There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.[/spoil:45sue2zp]
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Poison Tree"
Quote from: "Bobbotov"Many of them either haven't read the Bible or they spew Bible verses like automatons. Once I worked with a very nice guy except for the fact that he had the habit of spouting Bible verses in normal conversations
I like to randomly spout bible verses in conversation, especially Ezekiel 23:20  :-"

[spoil:1ostbuy2]There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.[/spoil:1ostbuy2]
Somewhat off-topic, but I've always wondered how many Biblical translators get turned off of Christianity just from having to read some of the more obscure parts of the Bible.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Graceless

The turnover rate must be hideous.

I've never seen an atheist forum that banned theists from debate, but I have seen several religious fora that banned atheists from debating (even when not "proselytizing"). I hypothesize that this is because most theists dislike getting in arguments about the existence of god, whereas we atheists tend to welcome such questions (as long as they don't get too stupid).
My goals: Love, tolerate, and understand.

MrsSassyPants

I have been a member for about a month. And the crazies have seemed to appear often.  Not sure if they are theists but CRAZY for sure. Maybe that's not normal.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

Colanth

Oh, it's slow now, fingers.  We sometimes get loonies who start a few threads that each run 20 or 30 pages before someone gets so annoyed with them that they get banned.  How many times can you tell someone that his assertion was answered (and demolished) 150 posts ago?

Grace, I think it's because many theists don't like having to think about anything,not just the existence God.  Thinking is a foreign concept to them; they'd rather just parrot what their religious leaders injected into them and be blissfully ignorant.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.