News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

came here from a christian forum

Started by taikina, August 07, 2013, 06:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

Welcome to the forum.

Incidentally, I also came here from a christian forum.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

WitchSabrina

Not sure I understand the 'humbling' part for an atheist joining a christian forum.......buut........... welcome anyway.

cheers
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Atheon

Quote from: "taikina"so i joined a christian forum almost a year ago. someone pointed out that it's funny for me to be there even though i'm atheist. so i started thinking, why have i not joined an atheism forum yet?
What I generally hear about Christian forums is that as soon as they discover you're an atheist, they kick you out. I'm surprised they let you stay.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

LikelyToBreak

mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteI don't actually know of any cliques here.
Calm down, I was talking about here but was using the word clique to mean other forums.  And as Fidel_Castronaut and Atheon stated, atheists are generally not welcomed on theist forums.

I do belong to a Deist forum though.  But I limit myself to their freethinker area.  Can't say I would be welcome in any other part of the forum though.

Colanth

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"Also, I just can't be doing with the stupid if I'm honest.
^This.

The level of stupid is so high in Christian forums that it's difficult to not start screaming after reading a few posts.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

mykcob4

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"mykcob4 wrote in part:
QuoteI don't actually know of any cliques here.
Calm down, I was talking about here but was using the word clique to mean other forums.  And as Fidel_Castronaut and Atheon stated, atheists are generally not welcomed on theist forums.

I do belong to a Deist forum though.  But I limit myself to their freethinker area.  Can't say I would be welcome in any other part of the forum though.
Like I said I am an in your face kinda person. I don't do calm down.

Mister Agenda

Welcome taikina. Nothing wrong with belonging to a Christian forum. I've joined a couple of Muslim forums, though I haven't been active there for years.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Hydra009

Quote from: "mykcob4"I don't actually know of any cliques here. There are some trolls (hidden evangalist). Please jump in. You may think what you wanted to say has been posted, but then we can't see your personality.
Me as you can guess, I'm direct even harsh. I don't put up with BS. I don't tollerate games. BUUUUUT i don't hold people accountible for mistakes. I appreciate that YOUR opinion can and most likely will differ from mine. I am no expert on ANYTHING. I will argue and if I argue with you I will probably seem unfair. Just reign me in. I can accept that go too far. Hey if you prove me wrong you will get my respect. Consequently I respect a great many people so far.
I am a Liberal Proggressive Democrat DIED IN THE WOOL! My best friend in this world is a stupid conservative republican (dumbass). So many things can be accomplished.
BTW I love your moniker its so original.
The thing about this forum is that I am nowhere NEAR the smartest one here. I can't say that if I were on a christian forum.
I like this forum because in many ways it is like PBS/NPR/BBC AMERICA are right in my office and I am talking to them. Sometimes someone from FOX shows up but you know those people are SO rude.
Oh I love to cuss. It's a creative art talent of mine. Not sexual cussing, just plain old profanity!
Jump in the water's fine!
I am all those things and a pedant.

*dyed in the wool

Youssuf Ramadan

Welcome to the forum, taikina  8-)

Solitary

Welcome aboard taikina!  :popcorn:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "mykcob4"I don't actually know of any cliques here. There are some trolls (hidden evangalist). Please jump in. You may think what you wanted to say has been posted, but then we can't see your personality.
Me as you can guess, I'm direct even harsh. I don't put up with BS. I don't tollerate games. BUUUUUT i don't hold people accountible for mistakes. I appreciate that YOUR opinion can and most likely will differ from mine. I am no expert on ANYTHING. I will argue and if I argue with you I will probably seem unfair. Just reign me in. I can accept that go too far. Hey if you prove me wrong you will get my respect. Consequently I respect a great many people so far.
I am a Liberal Proggressive Democrat DIED IN THE WOOL! My best friend in this world is a stupid conservative republican (dumbass). So many things can be accomplished.
BTW I love your moniker its so original.
The thing about this forum is that I am nowhere NEAR the smartest one here. I can't say that if I were on a christian forum.
I like this forum because in many ways it is like PBS/NPR/BBC AMERICA are right in my office and I am talking to them. Sometimes someone from FOX shows up but you know those people are SO rude.
Oh I love to cuss. It's a creative art talent of mine. Not sexual cussing, just plain old profanity!
Jump in the water's fine!
I am all those things and a pedant.

*dyed in the wool
Damn, and I haven't even talked to you yet!!!!!

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Atheon"
Quote from: "taikina"so i joined a christian forum almost a year ago. someone pointed out that it's funny for me to be there even though i'm atheist. so i started thinking, why have i not joined an atheism forum yet?
What I generally hear about Christian forums is that as soon as they discover you're an atheist, they kick you out. I'm surprised they let you stay.

The two I've joined did nothing like that to me.  I spoke my mind and didn't hide my lack of faith; I argued from reason, not emotion; and I respected their rules.

I'm sure there are some which summarily ban non-Christians.  I've seen one or two which make faith a requirement for membership.

Generally, those forums are boring little circle-jerks where pecking orders are established, observed, and occasionally contested (which is really funny, if you ask me.)  I've also met interesting believers with unusual takes on faith, their Scriptures, and spirituality in general.  They make wading through the sludge occasionally worthwhile.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Jmpty

Quote from: "the_antithesis"Help! They beat me!

Put the fucking lotion in the basket!!
???  ??

taikina

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Generally, those forums are boring little circle-jerks where pecking orders are established, observed, and occasionally contested (which is really funny, if you ask me.)  I've also met interesting believers with unusual takes on faith, their Scriptures, and spirituality in general.  They make wading through the sludge occasionally worthwhile.
omg how could you sum this up so. hit the nail on the head. and they do with well-wishes while putting on predatory smiles, many of my difficult questions brushed off with some joke(high-fives followed, while i watched from the side.) brrrrr. but then there was also the ex junkies with a more open and psychedelic take on stuff.
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Not sure I understand the 'humbling' part for an atheist joining a christian forum.......buut........... welcome anyway.
it's humbling because it's so easy to look at (these)people as one writhing blob of stupidity. i have never been a christian though i believed in the god from hollywood movies and my daycare sermons and it made me face the fact that there are at least some cool people of deep faith, even liberal and laid back (and even the most assholest christian conservative is still a human, i guess i forgot that at some point.)

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "the_antithesis"Help! They beat me!

You're beatable! :-D  :P
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.