News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hitch on the royal family.

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, July 24, 2013, 11:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

QuoteI disagree that the British (not the English) "got their asses handed to them" in WWII. In fact, we halted and slowed the German and Japanese advances on several fronts years before the Americans got involved, FYI (N. Africa, Burma, Channel).

I guess so. Compared to everyone else yall did hold your own.

QuoteAgain, you miss the point. It makes no difference when you came here or where you came from. You know, we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, and all that shit. Our entire country is founded upon, among other things, the rejection of the idea of hereditary royalty.

Unless, you know... that's not part of your history... for as long as my family have lived here in the U.S., money + power = you are a greater man than your fellow compatriots.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jutter

The Burgerking should also step down, so he can be replaced by a democraticly elected Burgerpresident.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Jutter"The Burgerking should also step down, so he can be replaced by a democratically elected Burgerpresident.
:rollin:

I'm soooo tempted right now to 'shop burgers into Liberty Leading the People or change The Rights of Man into a menu or make the Tennis Court oath into a Baconator unveiling.

Liberty, equality, value meals!   :-D

SilentFutility

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"I'd say so what. The revolutionists won. fuck the royalty! long live the republic!
Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"we couldn't have made the king our bitch without you!
and I'd say grow up and stop being so divisive over a war which happened more than 200 years ago.

Quote from: "Shiranu"I also remember the English getting their asses handed to em' in WW2,  but no one talks about how bad they have been in war.
You remember it do you?
Funny, historians seem to think of it a bit differently. We were outnumbered and outgunned for the majority of the war, after entering the war to protect the lives of innocents on the continent despite knowing that we were fighting foreign powers far larger than us. Decisive battles were won against far stronger opponents. We survived the war and liberated Europe along with our allies, so please do explain how we "got our asses handed to us".

We also defeated the French, who by your own admission were a potent military power at the time, and had the largest empire in recorded history. Whether or not you agree with the politics, it is undeniable that the British have had impressive military victories in their history, among some defeats, just like most nations actually.

Of course, not to mention that in recent, highly questionable wars our submissive politicians have forced our troops to follow you into, a less than surgical approach to fighting a hidden enemy sometimes results in our troops getting killed by your military. The fact that having the biggest guns doesn't make your military impressive alone is demonstrated by the fact that wars are still being fought and lost against farmers with cheap chinese AK-47s.

So, if we could all make our points about the royal family without the absolutely ridiculous dick-waving over killing people the best and without simply saying "fuck this and fuck that and fuck you" and not actually contributing to any kind of discussion, that would be great. If not, maybe the royal family should stick around at least for your generation so you can learn some basic human conduct off of them while you so vehemently disagree with their presence in a country which you've probably never even been to let alone have a stake in.

If everyone in the thread just goes "fuck the royals" and "fuck the republicans" alternately we might as well just be back in the school playground.

hillbillyatheist

Quote from: "SilentFutility"
Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"I'd say so what. The revolutionists won. fuck the royalty! long live the republic!
Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"we couldn't have made the king our bitch without you!
and I'd say grow up and stop being so divisive over a war which happened more than 200 years ago.
for the record my animosity is toward the idea of royalty, not the british. Think of it like how you can say "fuck Bush" and not mean "fuck america"
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Solitary

Royalty is an ancient tradition that needs to be abolished, just like dynasties need to. They both are based on being born in the right family makes you better than the common man and gives you political clout and power over the masses for your own satisfactions.  :roll: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

ApostateLois

Quoteand I'd say grow up and stop being so divisive over a war which happened more than 200 years ago.

Statements like this convince me that most Americans have no sense of history, and no sense of connection to the past. Two-hundred years is NOT a long time. In many other countries, children learn of historical events going back 500 years or more. There are breweries older than the USA! Yet you make it seem like the Revolutionary War happened in the Stone Age or something. Americans are newcomers on the historical scene.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Shiranu

QuoteWe also defeated the French, who by your own admission were a potent military power at the time, and had the largest empire in recorded history. Whether or not you agree with the politics, it is undeniable that the British have had impressive military victories in their history, among some defeats, just like most nations actually.

That was the point I was making; the French aren't any different than the English... they have won, they have lost. But the war they get mocked for losing (WW2) was because the Belgium allowed Germany to walk right past their defensive lines. That is Belgium that needs to get the pussy reputation, not France.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: "Shiranu"But the war they get mocked for losing (WW2) was because the Belgium allowed Germany to walk right past their defensive lines. That is Belgium that needs to get the pussy reputation, not France.
"allowed"

Shiranu

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "Shiranu"But the war they get mocked for losing (WW2) was because the Belgium allowed Germany to walk right past their defensive lines. That is Belgium that needs to get the pussy reputation, not France.
"allowed"

[ Image ]

They refused to put an army on the border because they were afraid it would "upset" the Germans. That is allowing them to walk straight through. France offered to let the (I frogot what the battle line was called) go all the way to the coast, but Belgium refused to let them guard it. As such, it left a gaping hole in the border that the German's exploited and flank the French.

That said, I don't think Belgium could have held their own against Germany, but they could of slowed them down long enough for the Brits and French to move troops to guard their flank.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Shiranu"That said, I don't think Belgium could have held their own against Germany, but they could of slowed them down long enough for the Brits and French to move troops to guard their flank.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda.  Yanno, the Netherlands didn't do so hot in that offensive, either.  They surrendered in less time than it takes to watch the Harry Potter films.  Belgium at least held out a couple weeks before completely collapsing.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "ApostateLois"
Quoteand I'd say grow up and stop being so divisive over a war which happened more than 200 years ago.

Statements like this convince me that most Americans have no sense of history, and no sense of connection to the past. Two-hundred years is NOT a long time. In many other countries, children learn of historical events going back 500 years or more. There are breweries older than the USA! Yet you make it seem like the Revolutionary War happened in the Stone Age or something. Americans are newcomers on the historical scene.
I'm not American.

My point was not to ignore history, my point was that hating someone because they come from a country that you were at war with over two hundred years ago is senseless and if anything it implies ignorance of history as you're likely too ignorant to realise that the world has moved on in the last 200+ years and you haven't learned the lessons from tragic events in history like most others have managed to.

Why does saying that I don't think you should seek to divide people and hate them because of historical events imply that I'm ignorant of any history that came before them?

hillbillyatheist

Just to be sure we're clear, you do know I do not hate the British, correct?

I hate royalty and I don't care what country it's in,  or how symbolic it is.

The British people are okay by me.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"The British people are okay by me.

... but not Simon Cowell, right?  He's a tosser....  :axe

hillbillyatheist

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"
Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"The British people are okay by me.

... but not Simon Cowell, right?  He's a tosser....  :axe
:lol: yeah he's an asshole. but then so's rush limbaugh, who's an american.

just click here