News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Black atheism

Started by GSOgymrat, July 07, 2013, 01:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

I work in an office where most of my coworkers are black and all of them are Christian. I have never met a black atheist and asked my coworkers if any of them knew any black atheists. None of them did. One of my coworkers also conducts interviews for residential living centers and said the only people who identify as atheist are white. Curious to learn more about atheism and African-American culture I came across this article which states:

Blacks are now the most religious ethnic group in America, with 86 percent saying they're "very" to "moderately" religious compared to just 65 percent of whites. Even blacks who purport to have no involvement with any church, mosque, or synagogue whatsoever are generally unwilling to reject the concept of God entirely, making African-Americans also the least likely to call themselves atheist or agnostic.

I don't know where the author obtained these statistics but if they are correct there is a bigger discrepancy between race and atheism than I realized. The article is interesting: //http://gawker.com/5911224/our-fathers-not-in-heaven-the-new-black-atheism

aitm

given that religion appeals to the poor and oppressed, it would seem a natural marriage.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Solitary

I knew one at my work that was an atheist, infidel guy that started this forum, I believe, was. I believe it is because most people, including blacks, are of Southern religions because of the grief you get from the funds"mental"ist being an atheist, especially if you are black. Better to join them than fight them, as least it's not as bad as being an atheist. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

FrankDK

Here's a Web site with info on African Americans for Humanism:

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.ph ... ection=aah

It is part of the Council for Secular Humanism.  "Free Inquiry" has a black writer.  He was part of the Washington Area Secular Humanists when I was a member, until he got a job in Amherst.

Frank

Solitary

:-D It's really nice to know there are some real human beings left in the world. Solitary

AllPurposeAtheist

There are 3 black atheists here at the VOA, ALL combat veterans.. Coincidence? Hardly, but tell that to the foxhole prophets..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Oh come on, we all know there are no atheists in fox holes.  :-$  8-[  :shock:   :lol:  Solitary

Plu

Quote from: "aitm"given that religion appeals to the poor and oppressed, it would seem a natural marriage.

This.

Brian37

Neil Degrees Tyson, and Reginald V Finley "The Infidel Guy" and Ayaan Hersi Ali to name a few.

https://www.facebook.com/BlackAtheistsofAmerica

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/fashi ... d=all&_r=0
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

GSOgymrat

I enjoy listening to Neil DeGrasse Tyson's insights on Big Think and other YouTube videos.

O.T.

I am a black atheist, nearly 60 and have been a non-believer my whole life.

One of my brothers is also atheist, none of the rest of my family go to church of any kind.

We were born and raised in NYC. I am now in Norfolk, Va.

Armada

I've met a black atheist on youtube. A shame there aren't more, especially considering how they were "converted" to Christianity to begin with.
Babies go well with red wine

OtterPop

On more than one occassion I've heard Tyson say he knows atheists love to claim him, but he's really just agnostic.

Mister Agenda

It can be harder for an African American atheist, many black Christians identify so strongly with traditionally black churches that rejecting the church is viewed as a betrayal of not only the religion, but of race and culture as well. In the eyes of many African Americans, you aren't 'authentically black' if you don't believe in God.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Brian37

Quote from: "OtterPop"On more than one occassion I've heard Tyson say he knows atheists love to claim him, but he's really just agnostic.

If true, I would say to his face "cop out".

You cannot simply be "agnostic". The word literally means "without knowledge". It does not say what you are "without knowledge" of.

It can only serve as a qualifying word in front of "theist" or "atheist".

An "agnostic theist", is one doesn't claim they have knowledge of a god, but thinks one exists or might exist.

An "agnostic atheist", is one who doesn't claim knowledge that a god does not exist, but holds no belief at all in one.

I myself am an agnostic atheist only in the "future" context sense in that I cant know the future, but currently hold no belief in a god or gods currently. I am however, an outright atheist as far as past and current claims.

Tyson may be missing "agnostic" as far as use in the context of past present and future.

I don't think someone should avoid the word "atheist" solely on the fact that we have not lived in the future yet.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37