Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anime Thread!

Started by Notthesun, July 03, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CloneKai

The one i have watched till now
1) Ninja Robots
2) Pokemon (left after repetitions and lack of story)
3) Digimon (watched first 2 seasons, the 1st was great, second not so much)
4)Card Captors (cute)

Huge time gap

5) Shakugan no Shana
6) Omamori Himari (short)
7) Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls (short)
8) Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka (short)
9) Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (short)
10) Seto no Hanayome (short and extremely funny)
11) Suisei no Gargantia (interesting and still airing)
12) Fairy Tail (funny, nice story and ongoing)

Mmm

I like that it's free for all thread. Its nice... i like some shows, it's cool when it makes you think, maybe not drama, but i like some that are fun and cozy, those are kind and friendly.. i like them.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "CloneKai"The one i have watched till now
1) Ninja Robots
2) Pokemon (left after repetitions and lack of story)
3) Digimon (watched first 2 seasons, the 1st was great, second not so much)
4)Card Captors (cute)

Huge time gap

5) Shakugan no Shana
6) Omamori Himari (short)
7) Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls (short)
8) Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka (short)
9) Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (short)
10) Seto no Hanayome (short and extremely funny)
11) Suisei no Gargantia (interesting and still airing)
12) Fairy Tail (funny, nice story and ongoing)
I TOTALLY forgot about card captors. I don't remember a lot about it, I do remember enjoyng watching it though.

AllPurposeAtheist

Alright.. Until further notice Anime are cartoons unless someone can satisfactorily explain the difference without snickering. :evil:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Alright.. Until further notice Anime are cartoons unless someone can satisfactorily explain the difference without snickering. :evil:
Imho, that's exactly what they are, though there are plenty of stylistic differences between the two.  Also, cartoons in the West have historically been comedies and geared towards very young children.  That's changed a little in recent history, but there's still a lingering stigma that it's a childish medium.  What such people need to understand is that animation is simply the medium for a story.  Any story, not just comedy and not just children's entertainment.  Whatever you can come up with and draw, you can put make into an animated show.  Limitless potential, mostly untapped.

AllPurposeAtheist

Most early cartoons, Warner Brothers, Bugs Bunny, Betty Boop, etc., began geared toward adult audiences. They didn't really become considered as being geared for kids until the popular adaptation for television.

PickelledEggs

Yeah it's not different, just a sub-genre.

It's like how thrash is a sub-genre of metal, except Anime is the japanese-culture/style sub-genre of cartoons.

AllPurposeAtheist

So Speed Racer was ahead of its time?  Who knew Spritle and Chimchim would be such trail blazers?

CloneKai

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Alright.. Until further notice Anime are cartoons unless someone can satisfactorily explain the difference without snickering. :evil:

[-X
How dare you! Anime are not cartoons.
Cartoons are for kids
and adult Nerds

Animes are for cool adults  8-)

Next thing you will be saying is Hentai s are not for kids    :rolleyes:

Now repeat after me
"Anime are not cartoons!"

AllPurposeAtheist

Ahh....so the REAL difference is the spelling.. :-k

Nonsensei

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"Yeah it's not different, just a sub-genre.

It's like how thrash is a sub-genre of metal, except Anime is the japanese-culture/style sub-genre of cartoons.

Is there another example of a sub genre being larger, more popular (per capita) and encompassing more subject matter than the genre that contains it?

Western cartoons are for kids or are comedy shows. As such they have a very limited range of material. Either you're 8, and the pretty moving picture people ensorcel your vulnerable, developing mind or you've reached full sentience and want to watch a show that indirectly insults you but also makes you laugh. Turn on the TV in the united states and that is what you're going to get from the animated menu.

With anime, name a topic and there is a good chance that at some point an anime has been made about it or includes it in a larger plot.

To me the statement "anime is cartoons" is a lot like saying "all books are kids books". It sounds like something someone who has never read a book would say.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Hydra009

Quote from: "Nonsensei"
Quote from: "PickelledEggs"Yeah it's not different, just a sub-genre.

Is there another example of a sub genre being larger, more popular (per capita) and encompassing more subject matter than the genre that contains it?
Slight modification to what PickelledEggs was saying, then.  The parent category is animation, containing the sub-categories western-style animation (aka cartoons) and japanese-style animation (aka anime).  Acceptable?

AllPurposeAtheist

Hydra009

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Meh.. Still cartoons.
Point being?

AllPurposeAtheist

A few years back when I mentioned scraping jesus off toast someone asked, 'Well, isn't it just bread then?' to which I reminded him that toast IS bread just cooked a little longer..
I know it's not quite the same, but close enough.. :)