YouTube Adblocker Scheme Angers Users

Started by Hydra009, October 18, 2023, 06:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Linky

YouTube is owned by Google, which is owned by Alphabet Inc, a mom-and-pop family business that made a paltry $282.8 billion last year on an operating budget of $74.84 billion.  Considering most of Google's services are generously provided free of cost, it's quite a mystery how they were able to generate that much revenue.

Considering their obvious dire financial straits, they would very much like it if people would disable their adblockers and allow ads on all videos moving forward.  For a long time, unscrupulous ne'er-do-wells have been using adblockers to watch videos without sitting through one, maybe two, maybe more commercials for high-quality products like RAID: SHADOW LEGENDS and SQUARESPACE (don't worry, they're in the video itself, too)

If you're one of those sinful people using an adblocker, whatever you do, please don't continue to block ads despite strong-arm tactics attempting to compel you otherwise.  There are many ways to accomplish this and I implore you not to search for any on Google (ironically, also owned by Alphabet Inc).  For example, it is well known that UBlock users can simply click to manage their extension, open up the dashboard, purge all their adblock lists, then click on the button that updates all their adblock lists.  Such things would circumvent adblock detection and make this whole brouhaha invisible to such users.  No one should do this.

Keep strong and watch as many ads as possible - make it part of your daily routine so you don't even notice them - to help our corporate overlords maintain their grip over the internet and everything produced on it.  Stay corporate! ✌️

Dark Lightning

I haven't seen this yet. I absolutely despise ads. But then I've been watching videos pertaining to my woodworking tools and potential purchases. The small amount of music that I listen to there, if flooded with ads, will simply drive me to go purchase that music. Oh, noes!

Unbeliever

I don't mind the ads too much, since I've been seeing commercials on TV all my life, so I'm used to them. Sure, they're a bit annoying, but sometimes they're even kind of amusing. Besides, don't those ad blockers cost money?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Dark Lightning

Ads come in screeching about a solution to a problem I don't have, at a volume far above the music I would have been listening to. Also, most of the crap they are hawking is crap that I have no interest in buying, in general. It's just like on-line news. If I never heard or saw the name "Kardashian" again...

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 18, 2023, 08:01:31 PMI don't mind the ads too much, since I've been seeing commercials on TV all my life, so I'm used to them. Sure, they're a bit annoying, but sometimes they're even kind of amusing. Besides, don't those ad blockers cost money?

Yes.  Crushingly expensive.  Just like web browsers, email clients, and insulin.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 18, 2023, 10:22:03 PMWhat's a Kardashian? 🤔
Aliens whose noses just become a spoon the further up you go.  Scaly skin.  Good spies and bureaucrats, though maybe not quite good enough.  Nazi stand-ins, and if you ask me, it was a little bit too on the spoon errr...nose.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Mr.Obvious

Some of the ads are just getting worse.
A cinematic showing of a car or a razor? Sure fine.

Some dude telling me I can learn how to invest in crypto and win money, quick, or a fake video of someone supposedly ranking and evaluating proteinshakes in a pretend series of videos...
Fuck right off.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 19, 2023, 02:31:32 PMSome of the ads are just getting worse.
A cinematic showing of a car or a razor? Sure fine.

Some dude telling me I can learn how to invest in crypto and win money, quick, or a fake video of someone supposedly ranking and evaluating proteinshakes in a pretend series of videos...
Fuck right off.
You can't expect a big corporate entity to do basic vetting when it comes to advertisers.

*beat*

Don't say damn in your videos or you'll get demonitized!

Unbeliever

Saying damn gets you possessed by demons!? 👹
God Not Found

the_antithesis

Well, after I turned off and on my adblockers, the pop-ups on youtube that tried to scare me into turning it off or to sign up for premium have gone away and Youtube works as normal. We'll see if that continues.

This could be the end of Youtube. I was on a forum that tried to go to a paid model and it died almost immediately. It limped along as a few die hards continued to hang around, but the site appears to be gone now.

Granted, this would be a be a different kettle of fists. That forum wasn't the basis for a whole bunch of businesses. So, it may not kill the site, but... I dunno. Maybe. Youtube clones have been popping up and falling down for a while now and a move like this could be enough for one of them to succeed.

Hydra009

YouTube's plan backfired

They did get some people to uninstall adblockers - only to download ones that kept pace with Youtube's anti-adblocker.  So really, Youtube only succeeded at starting and losing an arms race.

Gawdzilla Sama

I reflexively mute commercials. Started with our first TV with a remote control, c. 1965.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Was it black and white, with rabbit ears? 📺 😉
God Not Found