News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Howdy, ya'all

Started by Dreamer, January 19, 2023, 11:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Dreamer on January 21, 2023, 11:33:51 PMDeeper truths usually are
Deeper than the usual bullshit religions pile on us?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Dreamer on January 21, 2023, 11:33:13 PMThe Bible isn't a compilation of facts, and Christians (+ others) who use it as a science or history book miss out on the true implications. Parables and stories are used throughout, and the juxtaposition between those and your own life, is where the fruit is.
You did not even come close to answering my question--not that I'm surprised.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Dreamer

Quote from: aitm on January 22, 2023, 02:14:00 AMAgain, if you are allowed to define god as, "not biblical but kinda biblical, except for the parts that are disagreeable, then the real spirit of god is nothing more than the original concept. Let's make up shit and see what sticks......speaking of what sticks....why is your god so flummoxed by a woman's menstrual cycle that he himself created? Your gods a moron.

God gave rules to curb human stupidity. That whole free will thing led to lots of stupid choices.

Honestly, I've had long discussions in college with ladies about this,  and being able to get away from others and be relieved of my usual duties-- would be amazing. That part, maybe there's something to.

Anyway,  that is to say... God gave rules to people, in response to them.  Some things make sense,  while others are just puzzlers... Don't eat pork makes sense when you consider how deadly it is if improperly prepared. Having two different plants in a garment? That one is a stumper.

The rules reveal more about human nature than the nature of God.

I define God as the Bible does.  God is love.
<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

Dreamer

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 22, 2023, 09:53:17 AMYou did not even come close to answering my question--not that I'm surprised.

Huh. I didn't satisfactorily answer a question that paused in the middle for an insult at me?

I'm not surprised either.
<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

Dreamer

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 22, 2023, 08:39:34 AMDeeper than the usual bullshit religions pile on us?

People are often full of shit. Religion should strip people down.  That is why bullshit can accumulate so easily among the religious.

Dreamer

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 22, 2023, 01:04:07 AMGreetings. Not sure if I was here last time you were. Either way, welcome back.

I'm of the opinion that it's in atheists' best interests to work with reasonable and unbigoted theists. As long as your religion isn't causing any harm, there's no reason we can't coexist. Unlike Conservative Christians and Muslims who want to beat everyone else into submission.

Doesn't mean we can't disagree, though.

I think I just figured out my draw to atheists...

Besides the existence of God (God's real whether you believe or not, anyway lol), I am more likely to understand and hold similar ideas with the average atheist versus the average Xian.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Dreamer on January 22, 2023, 10:32:23 PMI define God as the Bible does.  God is love.

There is more to the Bible than 1John 4:8.

Too many of the Bible God's actions say that he is anything but love.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Dreamer

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 22, 2023, 11:43:28 PMThere is more to the Bible than 1John 4:8.

Too many of the Bible God's actions say that he is anything but love.

And there is more to God than the Bible.

God acts within our damaged and broken world. Is it God's actions that are unloving, or the humans'?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Dreamer on January 22, 2023, 10:34:15 PMHuh. I didn't satisfactorily answer a question that paused in the middle for an insult at me?

I'm not surprised either.
Asking a question of 'why' is an insult?  Yeah, for theists that would be an insult. Well, my child, you still have not answered my question.  But then, theists really, really, don't want to answer questions for it is sooooo much easier to believe and have faith than to actually use thinking to look at issues.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Nothing says love like demanding children's head be bashed against the rocks and telling the hebes they can take the young women and rape them at will. Sure is odd how xians view love.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: Dreamer on January 22, 2023, 10:40:58 PMI think I just figured out my draw to atheists...

Besides the existence of God (God's real whether you believe or not, anyway lol),
It would be nice if you would offer a shred of data or proof to prove what you assert.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Dreamer on January 22, 2023, 10:32:23 PMGod gave rules to curb human stupidity. That whole free will thing led to lots of stupid choices.

What/who then curbs god's stupidity and cruelty??

What, for you, is 'free will'?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Dreamer on January 23, 2023, 12:56:56 AMAnd there is more to God than the Bible.

God acts within our damaged and broken world. Is it God's actions that are unloving, or the humans'?
That makes a sort of sense, since god created the world, and since he is perfect then his creation must be perfect to.  so, the world is as he likes it, since he could simply change it and us to reflect his likes/dislikes.  So that baby born without a brain or two heads or any number of horrors is born because that is what god planned and therefore his approval.  You can keep your god 'of love'.

Dreamer

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 23, 2023, 08:50:49 AMAsking a question of 'why' is an insult?  Yeah, for theists that would be an insult. Well, my child, you still have not answered my question.  But then, theists really, really, don't want to answer questions for it is sooooo much easier to believe and have faith than to actually use thinking to look at issues.

You can't help yourself, can you? I doubt you even notice what you're doing. If there was an actual question rather than phrasing your assertions in the form of a question, that would be cool. No belittlement or insults from this corner, but I'm not going to try to return a serve that's out of bounds.

Unbeliever

Whatever faults you might have, Dreamer, at least you write grammatically correct English. That's better than many of the theists who visit us. We often have to translate their gobbledygook into sensible, meaningful language, and it gets tiresome.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman