News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New guy who believes in God

Started by Eli, April 09, 2022, 07:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eli

Hey guys, what's happening?
You get any believers here or is it just me?

Mike Cl

Eli, what do you think?  Ooops--sorry, if you are a believer then you don't think, only believe.  So, what do you believe?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Eli

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 09, 2022, 07:56:57 PMEli, what do you think?  Ooops--sorry, if you are a believer then you don't think, only believe.  So, what do you believe?
Hey buddy. I believe that God created the universe and you believe that nobody created the universe or if you're a materialistic atheist all you're allowed to say is "I don't know " based on your position. :)

Hydra009

Quote from: Eli on April 09, 2022, 07:59:33 PMHey buddy. I believe that God created the universe and you believe that nobody created the universe or if you're a materialistic atheist all you're allowed to say is "I don't know " based on your position. :)
Interesting phrasing.  "Nobody created the universe" as opposed to "The universe was not created by a being".  The first is essentially an appeal to ridicule with embedded theistic assumptions while the second is more in line with more normal thinking.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Eli on April 09, 2022, 07:59:33 PMHey buddy. I believe that God created the universe and you believe that nobody created the universe or if you're a materialistic atheist all you're allowed to say is "I don't know " based on your position. :)
Good for you.  I don't 'believe' in anything; I prefer to deal with data and not beliefs or wishful believing.  Don't think a fictional being (yes, god is fictional--as real as Bugs Bunny) can 'create' anything.  Can you supply any empirical data to support your belief in god?  I doubt it, but go ahead and give it a shot.  I am an atheist and beyond that you can give me any label you wish; I do subscribe to thinking and not believing.  What is wrong with saying 'I don't know' when one does not know????   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Quote from: Eli on April 09, 2022, 07:59:33 PMHey buddy. I believe that God created the universe....

And I believe you have no grasp of the ridiculousness of such a statement
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

Gawdzilla Sama

Present your proof. Be advised that we've seen it all before. We won't follow the script your pastor gave you either, that only works on fools.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Hello, Eli. Yes, we get plenty of theists visiting our forums. Most don't stick around for long. As long as you don't create problems and are respectful, I don't have a problem with you. ...I say this knowing the first thing someone said to you was that you don't think.

Theists often treat the words "I don't know" like they're an admission of weakness, but they are the only honest answer to unknowable questions. Pretending to know what you cannot is dishonest, and having an answer is not better than having none, if you have nothing to back up your claim. This seems to be intuitive to most people in most situations. In no other situation is pulling an answer out of nothing ever seen as better than admitting you don't know the answer, yet we're supposed to change the rules when it comes to religion.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--