News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

da History Quiz Thread

Started by Cassia, March 18, 2021, 10:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

The ship is the Andrea-Doria.  I assume the girl is one of the survivors.

Hydra009

Cassia

Yeah, the girl actually got 'transferred' from one ship to the other during the collision. To call it a miracle is nonsense but I would like to ask those using this description about why gawd didn't just cancel the accident instead of helping one person, since he knew that 51 others were being crushed or drowned. I think the Andrea Doria was a beautiful ship that took 11 hours to sink after getting rammed by the Stockholm.

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on March 25, 2021, 07:59:18 AM
Yeah, the girl actually got 'transferred' from one ship to the other during the collision. To call it a miracle is nonsense but I would like to ask those using this description about why gawd didn't just cancel the accident instead of helping one person, since he knew that 51 others were being crushed or drowned. I think the Andrea Doria was a beautiful ship that took 11 hours to sink after getting rammed by the Stockholm.

I had to read up on the Andrea-Doria to learn that this girl was identified as the "Miracle Girl."  I didn't stop to think about miracles when I read it. But it's true that unusual circumstances of survival are often referred to as miracles.  For the deeply religious, they become actual miracles.  Most readers probably recognize the explanation as just an exaggeration of a wonderful event and accept it as an unusual good fortune.  But even that is wrong.  It is not unusual to find survivors in disasters.  It happens all the time.

Why is an infant the sole survivor of an airplane crash?  Does god love babies?  If so, why not ask why he hated all the other people on the plane?

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on March 25, 2021, 08:48:46 AM

Why is an infant the sole survivor of an airplane crash?  Does god love babies?  If so, why not ask why he hated all the other people on the plane?
This question occurred to me fairly early.  And later, when someone said--'There but for the grace of god, go I!', struck me as not a statement of humility, but was a form of bragging.  God loves me and granted me grace, but did not like you and fucked you up.  The christian mind is just empty except for a bunch of platitudes.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 25, 2021, 09:54:52 AM
This question occurred to me fairly early.  And later, when someone said--'There but for the grace of god, go I!', struck me as not a statement of humility, but was a form of bragging.  God loves me and granted me grace, but did not like you and fucked you up.  The christian mind is just empty except for a bunch of platitudes.
The question occurred to me early too.  It's the kind of question a child would ask before a parent hushes him and teaches that it is impolite to ask such questions to a person of belief (as if beliefs are sacred).  Asking simple questions like that to a theist can evoke defensive reactions, like becoming patronizing and superior, or it could evoke the playing of the victim card, because there are no logical responses to such simple questions, and deep down we all know that.  "There, but for the grace of God, go I," is especially illogical, because it is irrelevant and doesn't even address the question.  But it does avoid the question, which is probably the intention, along with making it clear that the person believes himself to be superior.

Hydra009

A young Bill Clinton meeting JFK.

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 31, 2021, 09:50:10 PM
A young Bill Clinton meeting JFK.
Isn't that crazy !?! Neither one could know that two presidents were shaking hands.

Cassia

Lasting from 1299 to 1922, but he was the last _________

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 03, 2021, 10:29:50 PM
The last Ottoman sultan????
How was that for a run? Think the USA will outlast that?

drunkenshoe

Vahdettin. (Mehmed VI)

On empires and the evolution of their life spans... I think history is trying to tell us something. (Lassie appeared in front my eyes for a sec... :p)
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

What is this device called? Was it a good idea?

SGOS

I can't tell you what it's called but I remember being told what it was for.  Do I have to explain?