News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Munch on March 28, 2020, 01:24:02 PM
So apparently Mardi gras still happened despite warnings of isolation and lockdown. Are people in different parts of America that far removed from common sense?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

""This Could Be Devastating" - Amazon, Instacart Workers Plan Strikes Today" ... the lockdowns are already like a "general strike".  Without on-line ordering, you will have to make your own stuff by hand.  Fortunately we haven't yet moved to "centralized remote delivery of cooked food to consumers" yet, as part of the Just-In-Time conspiracy.  Then a strike will have you starving, you "deplorable" you.

""Officers Are Scared" - Cops Nationwide Sick, Dying From COVID-19" ... not just doctors and nurses are heroes.  When the medical team is all quarantined, what will you do?  When all the police are quarantined, what will you do?  National Guard (to maintain order) anyone?

"Priceless Van Gogh Painting Stolen During Brazen Heist On Painter's Birthday" ... in Netherlands.  The second oldest profession might be robbery, not politics, or is that a difference without distinction?

"NY Prisoners Say They're Re-Packaging Hand Sanitizer, Not Making It From Scratch, Under Cuomo's Program" ... Andrew Cuomo's current popularity might be more smoke and mirrors?

"As States Shutter Gun Stores Amid Surging Demand, Rights Activist Launches "Netflix For 3-D Guns"" ... in a free society, people find a way to do what they want, not what the government wants.

"Mayor Grants NYPD Power To Issue Fines Up To $500 For Failing To 'Social Distance'" ... fine everyone in a subway/bus?

"Pentagon Orders Essential Staff To Deep Underground Mountain Bunker As Pandemic Prep Escalates" ... so that "continuity of government" can continue on another planet, via Star Gate ;-).  they are talking about Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado.

"Canada Bans Passengers Showing Virus Symptoms From Domestic Flights & Trains" ... Beta Minister is still very laid back.  You have to try to catch people before they get symptoms, or shut down mass transport.

""What Is Really Essential"? In The US Golf And Guns, In France Wine And Pastries" ... golf for the US upper class, guns for the US lower class.  France is egalitarian, wine and pastries for everyone!

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"FDA APPROVES TRUMP TOUTED COVID TREATMENT, MEDIA INSANE ORANGE MAN BAD LIES WILL GET US KILLED" ... if you self medicate with fish tank cleaner, blame TDS.

Mar 27 - 1696 total US fatalities
Mar 29 - 2484 total US fatalities

Doubling every 4.3 days
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

I don't remember where I found the article, but if anyone is interested enough in it I will go back and find it, but...

I was reading an article talking about how the EU is working essentially as one nation to deal with the Coronavirus by pooling resources and personal to travel where they are most needed, regardless of country of origin. This is in contrast to the United States which is one country but is behaving like 50... States are literally having bidding wars against each other for essential supplies and are trying to keep their medical personal within their own borders because the federal government has essentially said everyone is on their own.

I mean think about that... even in a global catastrophe, American capitalists are finding a way to make life-saving equipment a commodity to be bid on and cost the government abhorrent amounts of money to purchase... assuming your state is even rich enough to compete in the bidding wars. I've always thought the slave trade and modern "sweatshop" (slave) labour was the absolute worse example of what can happen when you let capitalism go unregulated, but this is giving it a run for it's money.

I said it a few weeks ago, and I'll say it again... unless the Federal government can start behaving like one, I don't feel it's beneficial for states like Texas to remain part of the union. I know that's always been "our thing", that the federal government should be toothless and state's rights are more important, but if the people in charge cant take charge when they are needed, why have them in charge in the first place?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

I've been watching and reading articles about disney and the deep shit their in now over this.

Their parks are closed, their cruise ships are shut down, nobody can go to the cinema to see the movies they own due to being closed. Their merchandise stores are closed.

And now, in just 2 weeks, their billions in dept. I do feel sorry for their workers as its obvious many of them will be out of a job soon, but there is that little sense of schadenfreude I feel to seeing a big evil corporation struggle to stay alive.

Despite them owning so many franchises and associated companys, none of it helped them when they needed it most.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on March 30, 2020, 03:15:38 PM
I don't remember where I found the article, but if anyone is interested enough in it I will go back and find it, but...

I was reading an article talking about how the EU is working essentially as one nation to deal with the Coronavirus by pooling resources and personal to travel where they are most needed, regardless of country of origin. This is in contrast to the United States which is one country but is behaving like 50... States are literally having bidding wars against each other for essential supplies and are trying to keep their medical personal within their own borders because the federal government has essentially said everyone is on their own.

I mean think about that... even in a global catastrophe, American capitalists are finding a way to make life-saving equipment a commodity to be bid on and cost the government abhorrent amounts of money to purchase... assuming your state is even rich enough to compete in the bidding wars. I've always thought the slave trade and modern "sweatshop" (slave) labour was the absolute worse example of what can happen when you let capitalism go unregulated, but this is giving it a run for it's money.

I said it a few weeks ago, and I'll say it again... unless the Federal government can start behaving like one, I don't feel it's beneficial for states like Texas to remain part of the union. I know that's always been "our thing", that the federal government should be toothless and state's rights are more important, but if the people in charge cant take charge when they are needed, why have them in charge in the first place?

Projection unfortunately.  Merkel is in quarantine in her bunker.  Macron is playing King Louis.  At the recent nation heads meeting with the EU people, they were told, Germany will do to you what we already did to Greece (as in FU).  German and French taxpayers won't bail you out.  The nation heads were furious.  EU is not a working Federal system, and is not a nation.  Individual nations are closing borders, not doing Schengen.

The US has a working Federal system ... where the Governors are primary, not the President.  The national government is only there to facilitate proper action by the individual states (as intended) not as Great Society as envisaged by that war criminal, LBJ.  In fact, the President could only take limited immediate action, as allowed by current law.  To do more, new legislation was required (and granted).

So you want an authoritarian system, where the states are just branches of Washington DC?  You want us to be China?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pcduttZPoU

Without Eurobonds, the Greeking of EU members will continue.  From 2015 onward, German citizens have made profit off of the Greek bailout.  No risk for them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 30, 2020, 04:46:36 PM
I've been watching and reading articles about disney and the deep shit their in now over this.

Their parks are closed, their cruise ships are shut down, nobody can go to the cinema to see the movies they own due to being closed. Their merchandise stores are closed.

And now, in just 2 weeks, their billions in dept. I do feel sorry for their workers as its obvious many of them will be out of a job soon, but there is that little sense of schadenfreude I feel to seeing a big evil corporation struggle to stay alive.

Despite them owning so many franchises and associated companys, none of it helped them when they needed it most.

Corporations are house of cards built on digital debt (the derivatives markets not fixed after 2009).  Governments are helpless if they have no organic basis (see Brexit).  If I am not willing to fight for my neighbor (kill or be killed) then they aren't a fellow citizen to me.  I am broad minded about this though.  Don't care who you are by origin (Navajo, Hispanic, Anglo, Black).  And of course visitors should be protected (legal or not, the rule of hospitality demands it).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Gov. Abbot Orders Texas State Troopers To Enforce Quarantine At Louisiana Border" ... another closed internal border.  Papers please?

"Tent Hospital Erected In Central Park As Hospital Ship Arrives In New York City" ... Go Navy.  The Tents are being set up by the Billy Graham association.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

New deaths now …

#1 New York .. NYC?
#2 Michigan .. Detroit?
#3 New Jersey .. Newark?
#4 Louisiana .. New Orleans?

Total deaths now …

#1 New York (by a huge amount aka large total population)
#2 Washington state (legacy of early exposure?)
#3 New Jersey
#4 Louisiana
#5 Michigan
#6 California

Cleaner life leads to lesser pandemic ... that and less big cities.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Meanwhile, even Florida has limits to how much stupid they can tolerate: Florida megachurch pastor (and all around kook) arrested for ignoring a stay-at-home order and unlawful assembly for holding two regular services in front of a full congregations (and for which he had provided buses so his sheep could gather to the slaughter).

He also thinks that COVID-19 is a Chinese plot hatched at a Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation meeting... so yeah, Florida Man, with distinction.

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

something I don't think a lot of people are realizing, is just how the structure of so much retail and trade and industry will be effected by this in the long run. We want to believe that once the virus is under control and we can go back outside again, that we can go back to doing what we use to, go to the cinema, go to the gym, go to a coffee shop, go to the theatre.

But reality isn't so kind. Every day we're seeing people being laid off, because as customers aren't buying or spending money in these places, no money is coming in to pay employees wages, who are themselves at home. Many companies are so laying them off, rather then paying them from what would become an increased debt for the company it can't handle.

So when this is over and we can come outside again, if any of these stores and establishments survive, it will be needing to hire on new staff to make up for all the ones laid off. So even then, it will take months to get things back in order. The world simply doesn't hold still even when we can't go anywhere.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on March 30, 2020, 09:42:32 PM
something I don't think a lot of people are realizing, is just how the structure of so much retail and trade and industry will be effected by this in the long run. We want to believe that once the virus is under control and we can go back outside again, that we can go back to doing what we use to, go to the cinema, go to the gym, go to a coffee shop, go to the theatre.

But reality isn't so kind. Every day we're seeing people being laid off, because as customers aren't buying or spending money in these places, no money is coming in to pay employees wages, who are themselves at home. Many companies are so laying them off, rather then paying them from what would become an increased debt for the company it can't handle.

So when this is over and we can come outside again, if any of these stores and establishments survive, it will be needing to hire on new staff to make up for all the ones laid off. So even then, it will take months to get things back in order. The world simply doesn't hold still even when we can't go anywhere.
I think you are being too kind, Munch.  It will not take months to get back to normal.  This will go on for far longer than anybody wants to admit.  And the economical effects will take years to recover from and the new normal will not look like the old normal.  What we think of as normal ended 3 weeks ago.  What the new normal will be is still a distance into the future.  The transition will not be pretty or fun.  I am becoming more and more sure that I am glad I am old--whatever the future holds, I will not have to endure it for long.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 30, 2020, 09:42:32 PM

Starting with video games around 1980 ... young people were taught that there are "cheats" and "infinite lives" that allow you to get around obstacles.  Real live isn't like that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 30, 2020, 11:26:10 PM
I think you are being too kind, Munch.  It will not take months to get back to normal.  This will go on for far longer than anybody wants to admit.  And the economical effects will take years to recover from and the new normal will not look like the old normal.  What we think of as normal ended 3 weeks ago.  What the new normal will be is still a distance into the future.  The transition will not be pretty or fun.  I am becoming more and more sure that I am glad I am old--whatever the future holds, I will not have to endure it for long.

i look forward to killing the status quo.  Do you know where that boring asshole lives? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.