News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 12, 2014, 12:47:06 PMSpeaking of Steam--despise it.  But I've grown to accept it.  In a perfect world I would go to a computer store and buy my game on a disk.  Bring it home, load it (hate those fucking keys to load it) and then play it.  I would not have to worry about the internet; so I could play without it with no worry.
In a perfect world, I'd be playing the latest releases the instant they're developed for free on friggin' insane hardware.  And I'd have Natalie Dormer and $50 million worth of 40k merchandise in my always sunny and warm beachfront condo in Montreal.  And I'd pilot a Mad Cat MkII and alpha strike surrealist art galleries and punt nazi-gremlins into the sun. But we don't live in a perfect world.  We live in a world were there's just two ways to push over digital content:  1) write it to disk, package and ship it to a store until someone walks in and buys it, takes it home, and installs it.  2) make it available online for people to buy, download, and install.

I vastly prefer method #2.  Cheaper, faster, easier wins every time.  Sure, you have to have an internet connection, and that might have been a problem back in the mid-90s, but that's not a huge barrier anymore.

QuoteIf I then purchased a new computer I had the disk and could load it at will on it.
Yep.  Until you lose track of the disk or it gets damaged by a certain nameless family member who literally thought the optical disk tray was a cupholder. JENNIFER.

QuoteWith Steam, I buy it, but no disk.  If I get a new machine, then there are hoops, and hoops to jump thru.
1) login Steam
2) download/play game

Such a terrible burden.

QuoteAnd if the internet is not up, then I can't game.
I can and have on more than one occasion.  But unless you live in the sticks or somewhere where the president is known as Dear Leader, internet access isn't that hard to come by.

QuoteI don't multiplayer any games and don't want to.

Wow.  Just wow.  Granted, online gameplay has gotten not entirely unfairly criticized as 12-year-olds shouting obscenities, but damn, no multiplayer games at all?  Not even co-op Diablo 2 or Mario Cart or something?!

QuoteBut, Steam is the new wave of things and it is here to stay.  In my town it is becoming more and more difficult to find PC games.  So, I may despise Steam, but soon it may be the only kid on the block.  And I do like the way Steam handles Skyrim mods; give them kudos for that.
There are other digital platforms (GOG, for example), but it seems like your problem is more fundamental than just a dislike of Steam.  And yeah, the brick-and-mortar model is dying out for PC gaming.  Get used to it.  And may Gaben forgive your blasphemies against his Gift.  For such is his glorious and portly beneficence that heretics and peasants kneel in his sight and are reborn.  Praise his name!

GrinningYMIR

I use GOG for heroes 2, can't remner my account though
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 12, 2014, 02:29:07 PM

Wow.  Just wow.  Granted, online gameplay has gotten not entirely unfairly criticized as 12-year-olds shouting obscenities, but damn, no multiplayer games at all?  Not even co-op Diablo 2 or Mario Cart or something?!
There are other digital platforms (GOG, for example), but it seems like your problem is more fundamental than just a dislike of Steam.  And yeah, the brick-and-mortar model is dying out for PC gaming.  Get used to it.  And may Gaben forgive your blasphemies against his Gift.  For such is his glorious and portly beneficence that heretics and peasants kneel in his sight and are reborn.  Praise his name!

First, where did you get that gif of me?????
And I  had it explained to me--so you see, I'm a luddite.  And who is Gaben??  Maybe I could be reborn?!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

PickelledEggs

I don't see why anyone would despise Steam. But I guess to each his own. Even with games I have on disk there is downloading that has to be done to re-patch things for updates.

Plus with steam, I get to share my friend's library and play anything he has in there.

Origin sucks. FUCK origin. The only reason I have that installed it to watch for when they give things like battlefield and dragon age away for free. Because they're trying to make up for completely sucking as a company.

Mike Cl

Alright, already.  I don't really despise Steam--I did, but I have made peace with it and myself.  i had a huge issue s couple of years ago when I had a virus attack of epic size--destroyed my computer.  Junked it and got a new one and had some difficult times with Steam and it's support.  Not the best support I've ever had.  But that is then and it has changed and it is the way things are going game wise.  So, I'm on board.

PickelledEggs

Yeah steam support can really suck.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 12, 2014, 04:32:39 PMAnd who is Gaben??  Maybe I could be reborn?!

Basically, he's the co-founder of Valve (a company with a pretty solid reputation for very good games, albeit lamentably lacking a third installment) and the man behind Steam (a digital distribution system for PC games).  This distribution system completely bypasses the brick-and-mortar stores and delivers a freakin' colossal selection of games directly to PC gamers at bargain prices.  As someone who remembers having to hit multiple stores to buy some of my old games and could rarely get much of a deal on them, this is a HUGE improvement.  And on top of that, this digital distribution system allows indie games to really take off that wouldn't have been able to afford shelf space at physical stores.  And this combination of wide selection, immediate access, cheap price, and easy installation has really done a lot to keep the PC gaming industry afloat in an age of both piracy and heavy competition from consoles.

Plus, Gabe generally seems like a very down-to-earth and amiable guy who shares the same passion for playing games that most gamers have.  Naturally, he tends to inspire fervent loyalty.

P.S. - plus this.  Good Guy Gaben.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 13, 2014, 01:24:42 AM

Basically, he's the co-founder of Valve (a company with a pretty solid reputation for very good games, albeit lamentably lacking a third installment) and the man behind Steam (a digital distribution system for PC games).  This distribution system completely bypasses the brick-and-mortar stores and delivers a freakin' colossal selection of games directly to PC gamers at bargain prices.  As someone who remembers having to hit multiple stores to buy some of my old games and could rarely get much of a deal on them, this is a HUGE improvement.  And on top of that, this digital distribution system allows indie games to really take off that wouldn't have been able to afford shelf space at physical stores.  And this combination of wide selection, immediate access, cheap price, and easy installation has really done a lot to keep the PC gaming industry afloat in an age of both piracy and heavy competition from consoles.

Plus, Gabe generally seems like a very down-to-earth and amiable guy who shares the same passion for playing games that most gamers have.  Naturally, he tends to inspire fervent loyalty.

P.S. - plus this.  Good Guy Gaben.

Thanks for the education.  He seems like my kind of guy.  You touched on the indie games Steam handles, and that point, until now, escaped me.  That alone would make enduring Steam support worth the deal.  Some of those indie games seem to be on the cutting edge of the gaming experience.

GrinningYMIR

I cast Armageddon!

then Flee from battle
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on October 13, 2014, 12:31:50 PM
I cast Armageddon!

then Flee from battle
Ha!  That only works if the caster is good-aligned and the targets are evil-aligned.  :P

...okay, it works.  *fights celestials for a few minutes*

Mike Cl

Okay, Hydra, joined my first multiplayer game today.  Am downloading DayZ right now.  In another 2 hrs. it should be done downloading.  That part is a real pain. 

Hydra009

Have fun waiting to be robbed and murdered.  Or alternatively, robbing and murdering.  :)

PickelledEggs

Archeage went publicly for install. I have it installed and am going to be trying it soon

GrinningYMIR

So I was digging around in the DLC for DA, and there's a weapon that can be sold for 379 gold

Holy crap 0.o