News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Turn your clocks back an hour

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, November 06, 2016, 03:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Daylight savings time just ended for the season so if you have any clocks or watches not setup to do it automatically today is the day.. It'll get dark sooner in the evening and blah, blah, blah..
I have to do this twice a year. I have old type clocks throughout the house and my watch is analog.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 06, 2016, 03:43:34 AM
Daylight savings time just ended for the season so if you have any clocks or watches not setup to do it automatically today is the day.. It'll get dark sooner in the evening and blah, blah, blah..
I have to do this twice a year. I have old type clocks throughout the house and my watch is analog.

In the house and the car, I have about a dozen clocks to change.  I'll get to the car sometime in the afternoon.  LOL!

As long as my wristwatch is set,  I'm good.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

The only thing I have to manually change is this genuine faux Rolex. It keeps great time except when it doesn't.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 06, 2016, 03:59:26 AM

In the house and the car, I have about a dozen clocks to change.  I'll get to the car sometime in the afternoon.  LOL!

As long as my wristwatch is set,  I'm good.

Man with one clock, know the time ... man with many clock, what time is it?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

*gives a biannual rant about how DST is pointless and annoying*

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 06, 2016, 07:55:46 AM
*gives a biannual rant about how DST is pointless and annoying*

I'll second that.

Hydra009

At this point, I would accept a foreign occupying force if they promised to eliminate DST, switch us to metric, and mandate that all price signs reflect the post-tax price.

SGOS

It's odd that any country in the Northern Hemisphere would want to save daylight in the summer.  I would think we need more daylight in the winter.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2016, 10:11:55 AM
It's odd that any country in the Northern Hemisphere would want to save daylight in the summer.  I would think we need more daylight in the winter.
You get more sunshine hours in the Summer, when people are outside. You also have to light your work areas less in the summer. Not liking a thing doesn't make it useless. (Rejoinders go here.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 06, 2016, 10:35:21 AM
You get more sunshine hours in the Summer, when people are outside. You also have to light your work areas less in the summer. Not liking a thing doesn't make it useless. (Rejoinders go here.)
But it actually is useless (and a perpetual inconvenience).  That's the whole reason why it's disliked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br0NW9ufUUw

Gawdzilla Sama

Opinions may  vary, of course. I lived in Indiana and the sun set at 9 pm at high summer.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

You can be of the opinion that Nickleback is the best band ever, doesn't make it true.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 06, 2016, 11:27:20 AM
You can be of the opinion that Nickleback is the best band ever, doesn't make it true.
Except for Donald Trumpster fire will be captured by a swamp monster and reemerge as Saint Donald after the election. My opinions always turn out true.

AllPurposeAtheist

Thinking about clocks in cars how can they put so many sophisticated electronics in cars that control so many things, but leave the clocks pretty much as they've been for the past 40 years?  My dad's car has some pretty impressive stuff, Bluetooth setup, useless backup camera, it can tell you inside and outside temperature, all kinds of trip mileage information, whether the tire pressure is low or not and all all kinds of other nifty stuff, but the clock? It's still like a throwback from 1973..  What the fuck is that about?

Munch

I can tell you why I abide by daylight savings time, because I don't want to get fired from my job.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin