News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Turn your clocks back an hour

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, November 06, 2016, 03:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 06, 2016, 11:27:20 AM
You can be of the opinion that Nickleback is the best band ever, doesn't make it true.
I value your opinion on this.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 06, 2016, 11:12:42 AM
Opinions may  vary, of course. I lived in Indiana and the sun set at 9 pm at high summer.

It has as much to do with where you are in the time zone as it does to whether it's DST or not.  On the eastern edge of the Mountain Zone, it's like Indiana.  On the western edge, it gets dark at 10:30 PM (during STD)

AllPurposeAtheist

Having lived in Dayton Ohio I used to have to drive over to Richmond Indiana several times a week which is only about 45 miles, but the time difference always threw me off so much that I finally gave in and set my clocks and watch to Richmond time which seemed to be its own time zone separate from the rest of the world.
If we could only go back to when the railroad decided the time.  It could be 3pm and half a mile down the road 3:43pm..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2016, 12:15:06 PM
It has as much to do with where you are in the time zone as it does to whether it's DST or not.  On the eastern edge of the Mountain Zone, it's like Indiana.  On the western edge, it gets dark at 10:30 PM (during STD)
And just imagine regularly teleconferencing with three other people.  Two of them observe DST but at different dates than you and one doesn't observe DST at all.  So it's UTC-5 (DST), UTC+1 (DST), UTC+2 (DST), and UTC+9 (no DST).  And they enter and leave Daylight Savings Time at different days in the year - dates that don't even fall on the same calendar day every year but are instead the fourth Sunday in October or the first Sunday of November or some other nonsense.  It's nightmarish.

But it's cool because a couple people (who aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer) kinda like it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2016, 12:15:06 PM
And?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 06, 2016, 11:47:18 AM
Thinking about clocks in cars how can they put so many sophisticated electronics in cars that control so many things, but leave the clocks pretty much as they've been for the past 40 years?  My dad's car has some pretty impressive stuff, Bluetooth setup, useless backup camera, it can tell you inside and outside temperature, all kinds of trip mileage information, whether the tire pressure is low or not and all all kinds of other nifty stuff, but the clock? It's still like a throwback from 1973..  What the fuck is that about?

At one time, I thought that cars would morph into Nintendo-Game-Boys that you could drive around in.  But alas, Super Mario Kart reached its expire by date ;-)  Yes, the car clock could be like one of those fancy watches that tell you the time in multiple cities around the world, when sun rise and sunset are ... and what phase the Moon is in ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 06, 2016, 01:26:58 PM
And?

We already had DST in Western Montana.  We didn't need it.  Except in the winter, when they took it away.  Drive a hundred miles west to Sandpoint Idaho to go skiing, cross the time zone, and you have to leave an hour earlier, and you're still drunk from the night before.  Then the lifts shut down at 3:30 because it's getting dark.  Miss an hour of good skiing.  And by the time you get back to Montana, you've already missed out on an hour of more drinking.

And then there was hunting season, where the clocks would reset right in the middle of the hunt.  It's up an hour early to catch the sunrise, and the deer don't know when there supposed to hide.  It's a mad house.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2016, 02:13:21 PM
We already had DST in Western Montana.  We didn't need it.  Except in the winter, when they took it away.  Drive a hundred miles west to Sandpoint Idaho to go skiing, cross the time zone, and you have to leave an hour earlier, and you're still drunk from the night before.  Then the lifts shut down at 3:30 because it's getting dark.  Miss an hour of good skiing.  And by the time you get back to Montana, you've already missed out on an hour of more drinking.

And then there was hunting season, where the clocks would reset right in the middle of the hunt.  It's up an hour early to catch the sunrise, and the deer don't know when there supposed to hide.  It's a mad house.
I have to give you a hearty So What there, shipmate.
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

In many places you need to know when hunting season starts so you can stay the fuck home and not get accidentally shot by some drunk mutherfucker with a rifle. Hitch hiking on the Pennsylvania turnpike on the first day of hunting season isn't the smartest thing to do as I once found out. JESUS HOLY FUCK ON A FENCE POST it looks like a convoy of yahoos going off to fight the Russians with pitch forks and torches!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mike Cl

This is the only thing Arizona has right.  They don't change to DST.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 06, 2016, 08:19:07 PMThis is the only thing Arizona has right.  They don't change to DST.
The Navajo Indian Reservation uses DST.  So, an area has DST in a state that doesn't have DST in a country that has DST.  Talk about confusing!

Spotty non-DST doesn't do much to solve the problem - it just adds complexity/inconsistency.  It'd be much better to do away with it nationally.

SGOS

Hell, I'd be happy if they just made DST standard all year.  And while they're at it, get rid of time zones.  Then when you want to call Europe from Hawaii, you can just call when you're awake, and they'll be awake, because it will be the same time.  Everybody will celebrate New Years at the same time. Think of how silly it is to watch that big ball on TV in New York drop at midnight and it's still three hours until midnight and you're already three sheets to the wind and ready to pass out because you're in California.  The Greenwich Meridian would be the same time as Greenwich Village.  Hell, not a day goes by when I don't have to stop and figure out what time it is at the Greenwich Meridian.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2016, 11:10:57 PMAnd while they're at it, get rid of time zones.  Then when you want to call Europe from Hawaii, you can just call when you're awake, and they'll be awake, because it will be the same time.
China's into that.  The problem is that one person's dawn is at 7am and the other's is at 11am.

PickelledEggs

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on November 07, 2016, 12:03:04 AM
Don't tell me how to live my life.

I keep trying to tell my boss that.  You must be self employed ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.