News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

why are you an atheist?

Started by randomvim, September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2019, 10:33:18 PM
I've wondered about that.  Not that a small flyby makes much difference, but after enough flybys...

If we can (sometime in the future) move Earth away from the Sun to escape overheating by graviational attraction of asteroids or something, flybys could have an affect.

True, but not very practical.  All our launches since 1957 will have lengthened the day by a little bit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aileron

I've wondered about that.  Not that a small flyby makes much difference, but after enough flybys...

If we can (sometime in the future) move Earth away from the Sun to escape overheating by graviational attraction of asteroids or something, flybys could have an affect.

We (or our unrecognizable descendent species) should be lucky to make it that long. To a first approximation, all species are extinct.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Cavebear

Quote from: aileron on August 12, 2019, 11:52:59 PM
We (or our unrecognizable descendent species) should be lucky to make it that long. To a first approximation, all species are extinct.

Well, yes, I grant that we humans would have to last quite a while.  And maybe some ascendant intelligent species would have to do that instead of us.  I do smile when I hear some people react about events even a mere million years in the future and assume we will be here then. 

I personally suspect that there are only 2 categories of intelligent species in the universe.  Those who kill themselves in the equivalent of our near future, and those that don't and live forever managing their resources however wide they spread. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Pretty much.  It was calculated (I lost the link, so I'm working from memory, and if the numbers are wrong the orders of magnitude are not) that the Voyager flybys of Jupiter mean that in a couple billion years, Jupiter will be a something like a centimeter short of where it would've been without the flybys.  The advantage of being a huge gas giant facing off against a tiny spacecraft.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 13, 2019, 01:46:20 AM
Pretty much.  It was calculated (I lost the link, so I'm working from memory, and if the numbers are wrong the orders of magnitude are not) that the Voyager flybys of Jupiter mean that in a couple billion years, Jupiter will be a something like a centimeter short of where it would've been without the flybys.  The advantage of being a huge gas giant facing off against a tiny spacecraft.

I am surprised it is even that much, but as orders of magnitude go, that sounds right.  Maybe we better fly by on opposite sides though.   The butterfly effect, you know...

I can just see some future beings cursing us as a asteroid approaches "if only Jupiter was a centimeter farther away, it would miss us"...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 13, 2019, 12:44:05 AM
Well, yes, I grant that we humans would have to last quite a while.  And maybe some ascendant intelligent species would have to do that instead of us.  I do smile when I hear some people react about events even a mere million years in the future and assume we will be here then. 

I personally suspect that there are only 2 categories of intelligent species in the universe.  Those who kill themselves in the equivalent of our near future, and those that don't and live forever managing their resources however wide they spread.

Cockroaches in the long run.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2019, 12:15:21 AM
Cockroaches in the long run.

Actually, cockroaches need us a lot more than we need them.  If we all disappeared tomorrow, most cockroaches would freeze to death shortly after.  They are tropical insects.  They only get by outside the tropics because we keep nice warm cities.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 15, 2019, 12:34:48 PM
Actually, cockroaches need us a lot more than we need them.  If we all disappeared tomorrow, most cockroaches would freeze to death shortly after.  They are tropical insects.  They only get by outside the tropics because we keep nice warm cities.

I am sure they will get a short boost from your corpse.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 15, 2019, 01:23:09 PM
Very Kafka-esque. :-)

Scorpions are even superior to cock roaches.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 15, 2019, 01:53:29 PM
I am sure they will get a short boost from your corpse.

No no.  no cockroaches in the house.  The cats will eat me first anyway.  And I won't begrudge them a bite.  I fed them during my life... 

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 15, 2019, 01:54:03 PM
Scorpions are even superior to cock roaches.

Scorpion to cockroach: nothing to do with logic, just my nature...

Cavebear

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 16, 2019, 08:29:16 AM
Scorpion to cockroach: nothing to do with logic, just my nature...

Ah the frog carrying the scorpion across the river...

bob nelson

Because it's too good to be true. We're THE superior beings on this planet,death can't be the end! Wanna bet?

Baruch

Quote from: bob nelson on October 21, 2020, 07:20:05 PM
Because it's too good to be true. We're THE superior beings on this planet,death can't be the end! Wanna bet?

This is a "necro" you might want to start a new string.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.