News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

why are you an atheist?

Started by randomvim, September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: bob nelson on October 21, 2020, 07:20:05 PM
Because it's too good to be true. We're THE superior beings on this planet,death can't be the end! Wanna bet?

LOL

The dinosaurs were once the superior beings on the planet, and that worked out really well for them!

;-D
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 22, 2020, 12:51:45 PM
LOL

The dinosaurs were once the superior beings on the planet, and that worked out really well for them!

;-D

Even a stegasaurus lasted longer than San Francisco ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shinichi

I'm an anti-theist and atheist because I don't believe in fairy tales.

Also, if a god existed, "he" would've helped me a lot more in my childhood so that I could've gotten my maximum financial potential in life, thus that's also part of the reason I don't believe in a god.

All I "believe" in is a unique reincarnation-like theory which I haven't panned out the specific details for quite yet.

SGOS

I use evidence (or the lack thereof)to decide whether something is believable.   What evidence is there for a unique reincarnation-like theory?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shinichi on April 07, 2022, 01:44:27 AMI'm an anti-theist and atheist because I don't believe in fairy tales.

Also, if a god existed, "he" would've helped me a lot more in my childhood so that I could've gotten my maximum financial potential in life, thus that's also part of the reason I don't believe in a god.

All I "believe" in is a unique reincarnation-like theory which I haven't panned out the specific details for quite yet.
I can relate.  As I was searching for 'spiritual' answers, I studied and then discarded the christian viewpoints; neither Jesus nor god real; and many of the old testement figures (David and Moses and others) are not real either.  I wasn't ready to give up some sort of 'spiritual' answer and latched onto reincarnation.  I did more study and thinking and realized that that was simply 'god' with a different point of view.  So, I now realize that there are no 'spiritual' answers of any kind, for there is no 'spiritual' realm; it too, is a fiction created by man.  There is no before and there is no after; we have one life and that's that.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

the_antithesis

In my experience, "spiritual" tends to mean "emotional" when you dig into what people mean by it. It's a feeling that feels like more than a feeling because you can feel it is more than a feeling. That's self-contradictory nonsense, but most people don't even try to dig into it to see what is actually going on here. They are content to just be told what it is and then give old men their money.

Dark Lightning

I simply don't believe that there are any gods.

aitm

I read a book. It was bat shit crazy. I read another one, it was as well. Heard several stories purported to be true...all bat shit crazy.  Figured that was the best they could come up with it must be bat shit cra-cra.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

FreethinkingSceptic

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 09, 2022, 10:22:39 AMI can relate.  As I was searching for 'spiritual' answers, I studied and then discarded the christian viewpoints; neither Jesus nor god real; and many of the old testement figures (David and Moses and others) are not real either.  I wasn't ready to give up some sort of 'spiritual' answer and latched onto reincarnation.  I did more study and thinking and realized that that was simply 'god' with a different point of view.  So, I now realize that there are no 'spiritual' answers of any kind, for there is no 'spiritual' realm; it too, is a fiction created by man.
In actuality all realms, such as the "natural" world are fictions created and approximated by men, regardless of what phenomenon those arbitrary definitions are allegedly based off of.

QuoteThere is no before and there is no after; we have one life and that's that.   
That's a comforting thought, but in actuality there is no "we" by your odd definitions, the notion of a "we" or "I" to begin with is fiction created by man - since what you define as "you" is only physically comprised of the same material particles which a tree, or a rock is.

And if whatever it is you define as "you" somehow came into existence from the get go (despite no material evidence of such a thing), there's obviously no reason to think that the same phenomina couldn't happen again (if it even happened to begin with).

Mike Cl

Quote from: FreethinkingSceptic on May 17, 2022, 05:53:42 AMAnd if whatever it is you define as "you" somehow came into existence from the get go (despite no material evidence of such a thing), there's obviously no reason to think that the same phenomina couldn't happen again (if it even happened to begin with).
Ummmm, Freethinking I don't quite understand your 'point'.  The proof of my existence is well, me.  I can experience 'me' with all of my senses--and if I were to meet you, I could easily tell us apart. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

FreethinkingSceptic

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 17, 2022, 09:32:46 AMUmmmm, Freethinking I don't quite understand your 'point'.  The proof of my existence is well, me.  I can experience 'me' with all of my senses--and if I were to meet you, I could easily tell us apart. 
That's all subjective and anecdotal. Objectively speaking, however, there is no physical difference between the carbon atoms in your body and those in anyone else's body, or anything in the physical realm that makes them "yours" to begin with, simply because you "feel" that they are.

Mr.Obvious

The composition is different though.

I´d be shocked to find you and Mike to be identical clones, to the subatomic level.

Have to agree with Mike here too, exactly what is it you are trying to say? Not getting it.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

M

I

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

If I am out of ready food I can eat a baby without remorse......
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust