Why it's important to be honest about the Ghostbusters remake

Started by PickelledEggs, July 23, 2016, 03:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I completely agree.  When this movie first came out, I checked out opinions on it.  Angry Joe and co hated it.  Armored Skeptic and ShoeOnHead liked it.  Very strange split verdict from reviewers that tend to agree.  It's like they were talking about the Ghostbusters reboot from two different universes.  Comicbookgirl19 was the tiebreaker for me.

Probably not as horrible as the trailers led me to believe, but probably not actually good, either.  So, I'm still going to sit this one out.

Shiranu

The reviews ive seen are, "it's a movie." Nothing special, nothing terrible... if it wasn't a Ghostbusters movie no one would remember it in 2 weeks.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on July 23, 2016, 04:23:19 PM
The reviews ive seen are, "it's a movie." Nothing special, nothing terrible... if it wasn't a Ghostbusters movie no one would remember it in 2 weeks.

I saw it and I actually thought it was better than that, but I'll add to that the usual addendum that it wasn't a whole lot better.  There were some enjoyable moments, but I can't remember them.  LOL

Munch

From all I've seen, I can conclusively say, that despite the name, this isn't ghostbusters.

This is every other trashy comedy movie thats come out post bridesmaids, every adam sandler happy maddison movie. Their is no subtly or nuance like the original had, the characters are attempted clones. The degrading mockery of all men in the movie, the bad cgi ghosts, all of this could have been acceptable as a one off trashy comedy. Its just that they slapped the ghostbusters logo all over it, associating a well loved franchise with this bottom of the barrel trash flick.

This is not ghostbusters, if they made the movie with everyone else except the gimmicks of ghostbusters, then it would have become just yet another forgettable comedy.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mermaid

Since we're being honest here: I hated the original Ghostbusters. I thought it was dumb.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

GSOgymrat

I thought the new Ghostbusters was a fun, light movie. It isn't bad, it isn't special. Some people seem to want it to be more than what it is.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 23, 2016, 06:53:01 PM
I thought the new Ghostbusters was a fun, light movie. It isn't bad, it isn't special. Some people seem to want it to be more than what it is.
Did you watch the video I posted?

SGOS

Quote from: Mermaid on July 23, 2016, 05:20:58 PM
Since we're being honest here: I hated the original Ghostbusters. I thought it was dumb.

I kind of felt the same way.  The original had a very unique premise, and that's worth a commendation.  And for reasons I never could relate to, it became an icon of sorts.  In fact, I can kind of understand how it could have that appeal, but it didn't grab my attention.  It was one of those popular movies that I used to wonder why it was such a hit with others, but was lost on me.  Well, to each his own, I guess.

Munch

Can we talk about how great the 80s cartoon series was? For me this captured the ghostbusters even more and held them in peoples minds for longer. Not forgetting most of us who grew up in the 80s onward probably watched the cartoon along with the movie, so having that expectation of how we look at the lore surrounding the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVd83QTO_1M

The funny thing is, ghostbusters already did have a continuation of the story, a next generation series, extreme ghostbusters, which despite it not being as good as the original series, what it did right was make sure it WAS a continuation of the original ghostbusters, with an older Egon and Janine teaching teenagers how to trap ghosts, and having cameos from the original characters Ray, Winston and Peter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEpCUB8IjzM

That is how to do a follow on from the series, not the shit they did with this movie. I originally thought extreme ghostbusters was to goofy a series to enjoy, but looking what they did to the original idea of ghostbusters with this 2016 movie, I could watch every episode of extreme ghostbusters to get my mind off what they made.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 23, 2016, 07:01:55 PM
Did you watch the video I posted?

I did not, but I am assuming someone got so bent out of shape about a movie that they spent time and effort into trying to convince other people to either watch it on not…..meh… I'll watch it someday. I don't go to many movies and I sure as hell don't think they rate anywhere near me caring enough to care enough to make a video……its a fricking movie.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

I will say, I love Kristen Wiig ever since she used to do that routine on SNL as one of the Lawrence Welk singers, the one with the tiny mutant type hands, where she would always touch the guest star and repulse everyone with her freaky little hands.  I thought she was incredibly funny.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mermaid on July 23, 2016, 05:20:58 PM
The Marshmallow Man gave me a chuckle, but other than that I totally agree. No reason to see a continuation of something you didn't care for to begin with.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Atheon

It was... okay, I guess. I wasn't bored, and I did laugh many times. Still, many jokes fell flat. ("Where are my glasses? Oh, they're in my hand." - huh, am I missing an inside joke?)

But a "feminist" movie, like the MRAs are claiming? Other than hiring a "himbo" for a secretary (a role reversal of a stereotypical situation), I see nothing that makes a "feminist" statement. Merely having women in a lead role does not a feminist movie make.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on July 23, 2016, 07:49:27 PM
Can we talk about how great the 80s cartoon series was? For me this captured the ghostbusters even more and held them in peoples minds for longer. Not forgetting most of us who grew up in the 80s onward probably watched the cartoon along with the movie, so having that expectation of how we look at the lore surrounding the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVd83QTO_1M

The funny thing is, ghostbusters already did have a continuation of the story, a next generation series, extreme ghostbusters, which despite it not being as good as the original series, what it did right was make sure it WAS a continuation of the original ghostbusters, with an older Egon and Janine teaching teenagers how to trap ghosts, and having cameos from the original characters Ray, Winston and Peter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEpCUB8IjzM

That is how to do a follow on from the series, not the shit they did with this movie. I originally thought extreme ghostbusters was to goofy a series to enjoy, but looking what they did to the original idea of ghostbusters with this 2016 movie, I could watch every episode of extreme ghostbusters to get my mind off what they made.
I loved that cartoon.

The point of the video... one of the main points, at least, which, for those of you that have actually watched it already know... is that

Hollywood is getting more and more lazy. They don't write new movies. The make cheap un-thought out remakes. The movie was not up to par by many people's standards, but when they voiced their opinion, it became more than that because that is the publicity Sony wanted. Sony embraced it. I saw through that as many other people did. I didn't watch the movie. I don't plan to. Many of the people that I follow that critique videos and know have similar taste as I do have put their 2 cents in. And more people than even them agree that the movie was not up to par.

Like GSO said and many other people, including this video in the OP said, there were parts that were funny. The actresses did a good job with what they were given to work with, it just wasn't much to work with. Between bad directing and salvaging a should-be 9by now) dead movie, the actresses had almost nothing to work with.

I'm going to see if I can stream it somewhere and give it a go, but seeing an objective take on it like this video settles a lot of things.

The biggest thing in my opinion, even above the "feminism made this about men hating women" thing is the movie remake issue. Too many movie remakes. People need to stop littering the box office with shitty movie remakes because they're too lazy to write new ones. Actors need to take a stand and stop signing up for remakes because it results in a perpetuation of the same bullshit. Bad movie remakes. Sure there were a good handful of amazing remakes. Ocean's 11 comes to mind immediately for me. Ocean's 11 was a great remake and even though the original is still my favorite, the remake stands alone on it's own as a great movie. But most aren't and they need to stop being made.