News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Originally, clocks didn't have minute hands.  Being within a quarter of an hour was close enough for church prayers.

Chapbooks were used in colonial New England.  Useful for lighting fires to burn witches ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 06, 2020, 08:44:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLSDsyTgldY

This is so much more than a funny video. It has more 'truth' in it than any culturally moded bullshit about significant periods that shaped today.

When I was in the academy, students would aproach to me in the atrium and they would always end up asking questions they couldn't bring up with stuck up profs during lectures. They were very silly but very logical questions. I've always tried to explain how awfully important art and its history while 90 % of it is fucking bullshit. The year Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code was published a hell got loose for us -I think for all the art historians and cultural historians, esp. anthropologically minded ones like me- everywhere around the world. Almost everyone I know, not kidding, asked me the question "Is that true?" ?! LOL And about Leo's Last Supper.

Whatever I told them didn't work -at the beginning I was trying- that last supper is just a biblical scene and there are thousands of representation of that scene, the reason this one is very famous is because of the Leonardo myth. That we know shit about the man called Leonardo as fact or other names spelled as synonyms with Renaissance, which is a movement and not a period but as dark as the Middle Ages and again which we actually know far less about Renaissance than we do about the Middle Ages or  Ancient Greek and Rome.

That Leonardo shouldn't be named as an artist first, not just because there is no understanding of art or artistry in his time, but also highly likley this was just a field of curiosity and experiment to mix stuff and apply for him, yet again exactly because there was no understanding of art (esp. as a field) as we understand because he wanted to solve the nature, he just had to do certain things when ordered and beyond that he highly likely fucking hated it.

But of course the snake made the lady eat an apple as always, and people think the Last Supper is a fact sheet of Christianity and Mona Lisa is the most famous painting of all time because it is a masterpiece.

In short, I'll go full anachronistic on its ass and seriously claim that Leonardo da Vinci would have loved that video and try to picture the waiter from behind in front of the table. Because that's the only trait of that mural, cut from front for the recipient and he highly likely chose to do it that way in position of the room. There is nothing remarkable or significant about it. It's the myth of Leonardo that was gradually started after his death. And Mona Lisa is Mona Lisa because a curator put it in display in 19th century just because Leonardo did it.

Those are not art works, they were his test tubes. He didn't give a fuck about art. That man was an engineer to the bone. He just wanted to solve how the nature worked and reverse engineer it in every sense. If you had called him artist to his face, and if he had gotten the meaning you use as we do today, he would have punched you to the next day. 

*Rant over. Myeh...
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

This is why formal lectures are crap.  Informal seminars and colloquia are the way to go.  Assuming it isn't just a way for the commies to hive.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on October 09, 2020, 09:04:20 AM
This is why formal lectures are crap.  Informal seminars and colloquia are the way to go.  Assuming it isn't just a way for the commies to hive.

That is called the Critical Theory, which you regularly try to shit on manosphere style and fail miserably, every fucking time. Would you like to supersize your historical perspective, just for 25 cents?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 09, 2020, 09:17:10 AM
That is called the Critical Theory, which you regularly try to shit on manosphere style and fail miserably, every fucking time. Would you like to supersize your historical perspective, just for 25 cents?

Critical Theory ... Euro-Communism is god ... because real Communism has never been tried, so let the post-1991 Italian/French communist parties run Europe ... because y'all know that Russians did communism wrong because they are just barbarians anyway?  I would take Russia any day over France/Germany ... because Stalin knew what he was about.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Yeah, that^ is what I meant in my previous post. Anything that is informal as in challenging norms and traditions; off the curriculum; informing people about anything close to reality rather than wha is dictated has to deal with critical theory, like it or not. Because it has to deal with the concept of power in every sense. All the social disciplines are inherently historical and linguistic, they don't care if some live organism hates history of German and French ideas. You are irrational.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 09, 2020, 10:40:51 AM
Yeah, that^ is what I meant in my previous post. Anything that is informal as in challenging norms and traditions; off the curriculum; informing people about anything close to reality rather than wha is dictated has to deal with critical theory, like it or not. Because it has to deal with the concept of power in every sense. All the social disciplines are inherently historical and linguistic, they don't care if some live organism hates history of German and French ideas. You are irrational.

We have known about slavery here in the US even before 1861.  We don't need Critical Theory.  We have known about Jim Crow here in the US since 1875.  We don't need Critical Theory.  Europeans think Americans can't take a shit without their sophisticated assistance ;-))

There is a real psychology that isn't Lysenkoism.  There is a real sociology that isn't Lysenkoism.  There is a problem with anthropology being polluted by non-Western values (aka non-objective, identity political).  If anthropology must be anti-colonial, then you need to jettison everything about the Turkish culture, and go back to the Byzantines at least.  Going back to Byzantine politics might not be an improvement over Erdogan.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Where do you think Western values, concept of modern civil rights come from? In god you trust?

You're like teeanger girls who grew up in ghettos in moderate muslim countries, dreaming about a muscled, blonde white prince charming, a very tough and masculine, filthy rich, powerful man, while very sophisticated, galant and romantic who would die for them because of their eternal love.     

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 09, 2020, 01:32:52 PM
Where do you think Western values, concept of modern civil rights come from? In god you trust?

You're like teeanger girls who grew up in ghettos in moderate muslim countries, dreaming about a muscled, blonde white prince charming, a very tough and masculine, filthy rich, powerful man, while very sophisticated, galant and romantic who would die for them because of their eternal love.   

Doesn't matter, I am simply defending the Stalinist version of America, against external barbarians and internal Trot quislings ;-)  If a man won't live for you, kill for you, die for you ... that is your problem not mine (since I am not gay).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on October 09, 2020, 03:49:08 PM
Doesn't matter, I am simply defending the Stalinist version of America, against external barbarians and internal Trot quislings ;-)  If a man won't live for you, kill for you, die for you ... that is your problem not mine (since I am not gay).

Baruch, have you ever read Kurt Vonnegut?

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 09, 2020, 04:11:05 PM
Baruch, have you ever read Kurt Vonnegut?

I saw the movie version of Slaughterhouse Five.  Absurdist, am I right?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on October 09, 2020, 05:18:23 PM
I saw the movie version of Slaughterhouse Five.  Absurdist, am I right?

No, Vonnegut is not an absurdist. I mean...no. I was just picturing you as a 30 years younger American man who is obssessed with Japanese culture and...err reading about a book Japan -the other side- wining the second world war? Oh ffs, you ruin everything!