Atheist but culturally religious?

Started by jonb, October 05, 2015, 07:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: jonb on October 11, 2015, 09:31:11 AM
Baruch a clever man meets an old mad veteran in the mall who is befuddled by the effects of war and as this old man is stupid he has to ask questions. The clever man knowing himself presumes others to be the same as himself (it is the only model he has to work with after all). The clever man gives a great answer to one of the questions, and then thanks the stupid man.

Wow!  But then the shoppers at the mall gather, and execute the clever man for being clever (his last name is Sophist) ... well for worshipping a new god without authorization of the State, and for corrupting the youth by proselytizing this new god ... but that would reverse the actual outcome.  The stupid old man gets accused and executed.  Yeah, I already saw the movie, but for the young generation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okZHInakSYo

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: jonb on October 11, 2015, 09:58:23 AM
To achieve something I think the difficulties have to be faced up to, it also often seems to me that by trying to circumvent those difficulties the goal is missed. But don't make the mistake that this Elmer Gantry can always live up to those words.

There is a difference between facing up to criminals and joining their gang.  Whether you are in the gang or not ... circumvention can just be avoidance of the problem, not facing up to it.  It seems to me that people often follow the easiest path ... but then theologians speak of this, so it must be wrong.  In the case of an eating disorder, one approach is to try to satiate the hunger.  But this doesn't work, no matter how much one tries.  Another approach is to shame the person with the eating disorder, because someone has been successful with a diet (which really means that for whatever reason their eating disorder abated ... it is like the rooster claiming he made the sun come up) ... or a person who never had an eating disorder, who shames the person with an eating disorder (which really means they are talking out of their ass, since they know nothing of the subject).  All three are pissing up wind, but the second and third alternative betray the bigotry and self righteousness and ignorance of the accusers.  In this case actual science, rather than monkey shines, can help.  Why is the person ill?  It isn't a moral question (this also applies to drug addiction and alcoholism).  The Elmer Fudds of this world aren't even experts at hunting rascally rabbits.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 09, 2015, 11:28:18 PM
There's only one small problem with that; like hypocritical "believers"; you are cherry picking and thus not attaining a comprehensive understanding.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

Religion is batshit. How's that cherry-picking?

popsthebuilder

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 13, 2015, 07:00:05 AM
Religion is batshit. How's that cherry-picking?
Religion is scewed by man. True Faith is not.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 13, 2015, 10:21:23 AM

True Faith=Total Blindness of the batshit religion.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 13, 2015, 11:17:11 AM
True Faith=Total Blindness of the batshit religion.
Just admitted that most religion is flawed by man in some way. How is that being blind to the fact?

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 13, 2015, 11:49:22 AM
Just admitted that most religion is flawed by man in some way. How is that being blind to the fact?

Because all religion is flawed--buy it's own teachings.  You are simply the same as all other theists, in that you say you see the one True religion.  If people don't see it your way, then they are blind and stupid and will go to hell because the one true god told you so.  Batshit crazy--you fit the bill perfectly.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 13, 2015, 10:21:23 AM

You've just eliminated the human species. So who has the true faith then? Do you realize how screwed up you are??

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 13, 2015, 01:26:54 PM
Because all religion is flawed--buy it's own teachings.  You are simply the same as all other theists, in that you say you see the one True religion.  If people don't see it your way, then they are blind and stupid and will go to hell because the one true god told you so.  Batshit crazy--you fit the bill perfectly.
What I preach is peaceful unity under God. I generaly don't condemn people.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 13, 2015, 05:50:20 PM
You've just eliminated the human species. So who has the true faith then? Do you realize how screwed up you are??
I'm not sure if any one religion is right. I know that none need to be cast out by me. I know thavthe Bahai Faith and the Druze religion seem to be on the right track, but we are to use our heart and scripture to test others doctrines..

I really don't care if you think I'm out there. I'm quite used to it. Holy literally translates to different. I will gladly be the odd one out rather than just another lost sheep.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 13, 2015, 09:28:03 PM
What I preach is peaceful unity under God. I generaly don't condemn people.

Well, goodie, goodie, goodie for you.  You don't seem to mind spreading lies and bullshit.  Yes, that is harmful to those who may some day, learn to reason.  That seems to leave you out, though.  Belief and faith is all you have--facts and reasoning seems to be beyond your abilities.  Maybe one day you will be able to grow up. 

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 13, 2015, 10:05:18 PM
Well, goodie, goodie, goodie for you.  You don't seem to mind spreading lies and bullshit.  Yes, that is harmful to those who may some day, learn to reason.  That seems to leave you out, though.  Belief and faith is all you have--facts and reasoning seems to be beyond your abilities.  Maybe one day you will be able to grow up.
Why don't you state a single fact that I'm not aware of. State of single thing that I refute with my faith. Seriously, any fact, any scientific fact, it doesn't matter, there is not a single thing that I refute by being faithful. That's just you assuming things.

popsthebuilder

How can you assume that I'm lying about something that you cannot even prove isn't real? What kind of reasoning is that? What type of logic does it take to assume things that you have no clue about? You assume that I do not know things just because you do not know them or do not believe them. To me that is a grand lack of reasoning on your part.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 13, 2015, 10:09:01 PM
Why don't you state a single fact that I'm not aware of. State of single thing that I refute with my faith. Seriously, any fact, any scientific fact, it doesn't matter, there is not a single thing that I refute by being faithful. That's just you assuming things.

Why don't you state a single fact.  I have not seen one from you yet.  I seriously don't think you know  what a fact is.  One fact is is that you are willfully ignorant.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 13, 2015, 10:14:13 PM
Why don't you state a single fact.  I have not seen one from you yet.  I seriously don't think you know  what a fact is.  One fact is is that you are willfully ignorant.
Ignorant of what?