Atheist but culturally religious?

Started by jonb, October 05, 2015, 07:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 13, 2015, 09:32:27 PM
I'm not sure if any one religion is right. I know that none need to be cast out by me. I know thavthe Bahai Faith and the Druze religion seem to be on the right track, but we are to use our heart and scripture to test others doctrines..

I really don't care if you think I'm out there. I'm quite used to it. Holy literally translates to different. I will gladly be the odd one out rather than just another lost sheep.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

Anyone who claims to have the "true" faith borders on the threshold of being clinically insane. You should see a shrink.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 14, 2015, 05:47:43 AM
Anyone who claims to have the "true" faith borders on the threshold of being clinically insane. You should see a shrink.
Thanks. Anyone how claims the physical is the limit of existence needs to wake up to the significance of life.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 14, 2015, 10:39:00 AM
Thanks. Anyone how claims the physical is the limit of existence needs to wake up to the significance of life.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I much prefer a meaningful life in a physical world than wasting my entire life on a fantasy that isn't support by any evidence whatsoever. Cheers.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 14, 2015, 10:45:52 AM
Sorry to rain on your parade but I much prefer a meaningful life in a physical world than wasting my entire life on a fantasy that isn't support by any evidence whatsoever. Cheers.
Helping others in any way possible isn't a waste. Being selfless isn't a waste. Doing all you can to gather up worldly objects is a waste and selfish. You can't take anything with you when you die but your soul. If you have a greedy soul then that won't even make the trip. To have a positive influence in the lives of others is a wonderful thing. And don't worry. No one can burst my bubble.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 14, 2015, 10:53:40 AM
Helping others in any way possible isn't a waste.

It is a waste when your help consists of nothing but spewing nonsense to those you think you're helping.

QuoteYou can't take anything with you when you die...

No kidding...

Quotebut your soul.

A fantasy that no one has ever proved it's real. But keep on with those silly dreams.

QuoteAnd don't worry. No one can burst my bubble..

And that's why my advice to you is to see a shrink still stands.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 14, 2015, 11:34:17 AM
It is a waste when your help consists of nothing but spewing nonsense to those you think you're helping.

No kidding...

A fantasy that no one has ever proved it's real. But keep on with those silly dreams.

And that's why my advice to you is to see a shrink still stands.
What would be the point? Am I hurting anyone by not being the same? Am I a danger to myself by helping others without expecting things in return?

These forums aren't the main way I help, and all of you aren't identical. Some of you have ears and eyes that you are actually trying to use instead of just accepting what others have told you.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 14, 2015, 08:33:05 PM
Some of you have ears and eyes that you are actually trying to use instead of just accepting what others have told you.

I accept what others are telling me if that is supported by evidence. When it's not supported by evidence, I call it bullshit.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 14, 2015, 08:38:47 PM
I accept what others are telling me if that is supported by evidence. When it's not supported by evidence, I call it bullshit.
And what of things you come to know yourself. If you can't prove it to others would you just assume you are loony tunes, or would you consider that not everything is strictly physical?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 14, 2015, 08:54:56 PM
And what of things you come to know yourself. If you can't prove it to others would you just assume you are loony tunes, or would you consider that not everything is strictly physical?

If an idea can't be proven then it falls into the category of speculation, with the understanding that new facts can prove or disprove the speculation. 

aitm

Quote from: popsthebuilder on October 14, 2015, 08:54:56 PM
And what of things you come to know yourself. If you can't prove it to others

The obvious are a) delusion b) willing ignorance.
If you can't prove it to others they will consider you a nut job, and rightfully so.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

peacewithoutgod

To be culturally religious and believe none of that is to be apathetic, cynical, cowardly, dishonest, and a very selfish person who is willing to watch others continue destroying all that is good with humanity.

However, "culturally religious" should apply only to participating in religious rituals and supporting religious organizations. NONE of our holidays are in any way rooted in Xtianity, and the obscure religions which they are rooted in were practiced for the same reasons that sensible people do today - they are time to be spent with family and friends. Going to church on Xmas eve is the most terrible way that I can think of spending time with my parents and sister, short of watching them die. This is why I essentially told them just that when my Dec. 23rd flight was cancelled and I had to fly over from Charlotte the next day, enabling them to trap me into dinner AFTER we all went to their stupid Catholic Mass! NEVER AGAIN!
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Jannabear

Following the idiotic dribble of religious morality after you stop believing in a god is silly, I don't know why anyone would have any respect for the bible or any other religious text on a moral or philosophical level, it's just a book that kind of declares things without reason, including it''s morality, alongside every other religious text.
Subjective morality is much better then a 2000 year old book that tells you to stone someone to death for fucking someone who you don't want them to fuck.

Baruch

Quote from: Jannabear on January 11, 2016, 07:28:52 PM
Following the idiotic dribble of religious morality after you stop believing in a god is silly, I don't know why anyone would have any respect for the bible or any other religious text on a moral or philosophical level, it's just a book that kind of declares things without reason, including it''s morality, alongside every other religious text.
Subjective morality is much better then a 2000 year old book that tells you to stone someone to death for fucking someone who you don't want them to fuck.

A developed conscience is much better than a 2000 year old book.  That is what I would call a subjective morality.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote... it's just a book that kind of declares things without reason, including it''s morality, alongside every other religious text.

The Tao Te Ching?

QuoteSubjective morality is much better then a 2000 year old book that tells you to stone someone to death for fucking someone who you don't want them to fuck.

My subjective morality tells me that is okay because I just don't like gay people. Is it still better?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jannabear

Quote from: Shiranu on January 11, 2016, 08:19:47 PM
The Tao Te Ching?

My subjective morality tells me that is okay because I just don't like gay people. Is it still better?
You have to make arguments for it, what you're thinking of is arbitrary morality, where people just declare things are good or bad, kind of what the bible does.