News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I want to understand Atheism

Started by Contemporary Protestant, April 07, 2014, 07:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: josephpalazzo on April 10, 2014, 09:46:01 AM
The problem with faith is that it doesn't discriminate between true and false. Each of the 20,000+ christian denominations have their own "truth", and condemns all others. That in itself is an eye-opener, notwithstanding that besides christianity, there are scores of other religions, each one proclaiming to have a monopoly on truth.
For some reason, this makes me think about the Baha'i faith, which according to a Baha'i friend of mine, reconciles Islam with Christianity by claiming that both are true.  It sounds good on the surface, but it defies logic because each of those two religions claims the other is wrong.  However, I'm just repeating what my friend says.  I have little reason to assume he understands his own faith clearly, as he's often in the dark about many things.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: SGOS on April 10, 2014, 09:55:06 AM
For some reason, this makes me think about the Baha'i faith, which according to a Baha'i friend of mine, reconciles Islam with Christianity by claiming that both are true.  It sounds good on the surface, but it defies logic because each of those two religions claims the other is wrong.  However, I'm just repeating what my friend says.  I have little reason to assume he understands his own faith clearly, as he's often in the dark about many things.

Baha'i is that faith that claims all humans should be united.  The essential message of Bahá’u’lláh is, “The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens.” And the world’s religions represent different stages in the revelation of God’s will. So from that POV, your friend is right. I doubt  that christians and muslims will agree.

Contemporary Protestant

I believe Jesus rose from the dead, but I'm not Mormon and don't understand what your second point is stating

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 10, 2014, 10:11:43 AM
I believe Jesus rose from the dead
I wasn't aware that medical technology was capable of such a thing back then.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Solitary

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 10, 2014, 10:11:43 AM
I believe Jesus rose from the dead, but I'm not Mormon and don't understand what your second point is stating

And we don't understand how someone can rose from the dead when that is the only time it happen accept in other pagan myths. You have never taken a course in biology or anatomy have you? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mister Agenda

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 10, 2014, 09:07:37 AM
Being a Christian doesn't cost money, membership isn't required, and tithe money doesn't have to go to the church, I don't have a lot of money but when I do, I make sure Ik where it's going, like I'm not going to hand out cash but I would help a canned food drive or a shoe drive, something that deals with objects instead of money

CP, have you considered Christian Deism? A copy of the Jefferson Bible, in my opinion, would serve you better than the unexpirgated version. All the best moral teachings, no supernatural stuff to defend, and no dross. Best of both worlds, baby!
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Contemporary Protestant

Well I believe in miracles (my original life expectancy was an hour then 3 years then 15, and now i am 17 and classified as high functioning, I suffer from a moderate case of neurofibromatosis type 1) this belief in miracles sets me apart from atheists and deism

I know my personal story is not empirical evidence but it's my life and no one else's

Solitary

Sorry to hear that! Also sorry your all powerful loving God inflicted that on you. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Contemporary Protestant

Not how I see it, the earth is broken, as a result of this my genes are damaged, I don't blame my God for a medical phenomenon

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 10, 2014, 12:06:46 PM
Not how I see it, the earth is broken, as a result of this my genes are damaged, I don't blame my God for a medical phenomenon

" Before you were in the womb, I knew you"

Pretty much says yer god fucked you over. But hey, maybe its just a poem. Non-the-less I am not making fun nor mocking your condition. It is unfortunate, but man, not god will cure that in the future, for if god could do it, it would have already been done.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Contemporary Protestant

I still don't think God made me sick, just because he knew me doesn't me he did that to me, if anything I am blessed because I have lasted 14 years longer than originally expected

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 10, 2014, 12:46:03 PM
I still don't think God made me sick, just because he knew me doesn't me he did that to me, if anything I am blessed because I have lasted 14 years longer than originally expected
your parents did their job well, young grasshopper.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on April 10, 2014, 11:26:11 AM
I wasn't aware that medical technology was capable of such a thing back then.
First of all, it was just one of those silly near-death experiences that everyone claims to have.  He was unconscious, had an outer body experience, and saw bright lights.  He was probably as shocked as anyone by it.  Then he wakes up, finds himself in a tomb lying on a slab, and sells the book rights to the first guy he sees (apparently some guy named Mathew), and gets the Hell out of Rome as fast as he can.

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 10, 2014, 12:46:03 PM

OR we could say you are a lousy christian....everyone knows that a true christian can get whatever they want by praying...says so in the babble, so obviously, yer doing it wrong...you should think about that and that maybe your dismissal of the holy OT and all its rules which you ignore and all the rules of the NT which you also ignore may be the reason you are still like that.  I am pretty sure god thinks the same thing cause I read a book that told me what he wants people to do and you ain't doing it.