News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I want to understand Atheism

Started by Contemporary Protestant, April 07, 2014, 07:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 10, 2014, 12:46:03 PM
I still don't think God made me sick, just because he knew me doesn't me he did that to me, if anything I am blessed because I have lasted 14 years longer than originally expected

Okay, look.. at the risk of sounding cruel. I'm going to say something that might make me unpopular, but I feel like I have to say it.

This is the same deal as with the suposedly infallible scripture being perceived in what you would discribe a wrong way. (Different topic.)
By this I mean that if your God is all-knowing and all-powerfull and all-loving he has no reason to create you sick. He knew he would make you born sick while he just as well could have prevented it from the get-go. If he didn't know you'd be born sick he wouldn't be all-knowing. If he couldn't fix you beforehand he wouldn't be all-powerfull. If he knew and could but didn't prevent it, he's not all-loving. Like with the scripture argument, something doesn't fit.

And also, a much more vital problem.

CP, I'm glad you made it. I'm glad you're okay. I truly am. I disagree with you on a lot and you frustrate me from time to time, but I'm glad I'm talking to you and I'm happy you're on this forum. And for better or worse, I like you because you are one of the only outspoken theists that I've known that admitts to not having an answer on everything.
But to uphold your personal story as a triumph of God's miracles rather than a hard-earned succes in medical advances is to say that somehow you're more special and important than all the millions of baby's that have died before, during or shortly after child-birth throughout the ages. You probably don't see it as such, but it is what it entails. Because somehow you were worth a miracle while my aunt's (would be) first born wasn't. God could have performed miracles for them, but didn't .
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

aileron

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 10, 2014, 10:11:43 AM
I believe Jesus rose from the dead, but I'm not Mormon and don't understand what your second point is stating

Do you believe that the father of Jesus, God the father used to be a man, and that by living a good life he became a god, one of countless other good men who became gods?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Contemporary Protestant

No man can be a God, Jesus, the father,came the Holy Spirit are the only entities that are God

Mr obvious, good point, I will be more sensitive when talking about miracles (and not use medicine because your point is very valid) I'm not offended and I agree with you, it's wrong to think that I'm more important than any other living (or dead for that matter) being

Aitm, who are you to call me a lousy Christian, that is completely arrogant coming from anyone theist or atheist, you have absolutely no right to judge my character.

josephpalazzo

Considering there are 20,000+ christian denominations, each one claiming to have the right interpretation of the bible, what's a good christian?????????????????????????????????????

PickelledEggs

If we want a fundamentalist, we could always invite back Eve...

Now SHE was crazy. Nice, but CRAZY.

Johan

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 10, 2014, 07:27:07 AM
I guess you could say I'm overly optimistic because to me unknown means its possible, its inaccurate but its possible. Take aliens as an example, people think they're real even though there is little evidence for it
There are indeed people who think aliens are real. And those people are usually considered to be whacko by everyone else.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Contemporary Protestant

Well I think aliens are likely real, considering how vast the universe is, and the possibility of silicon based life

wolf39us

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 10, 2014, 07:28:09 PM
Well I think aliens are likely real, considering how vast the universe is, and the possibility of silicon based life

There's logic in this one... just not in all of the right places.   :-)

Johan

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 10, 2014, 07:28:09 PM
I misunderstood what you were saying. Believe it or not, I don't think I've often heard the word aliens used when talking about the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe. That threw me. I thought you were talking about people who believe aliens from other planets are here on earth or visit earth. Those people are whacko.

Those who believe that life exists elsewhere in the universe despite the lack of hard evidence are simply looking at the facts we do know. Namely the vast number of known stars which could potentially have solar systems such that earth-like planets could exist there. That is not at all the same thing as believing in god despite the lack of any evidence.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Feral Atheist

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 07:20:52 PM

1.) I accept evolution as fact, I am an Old Earth Creationist (different than a Young Earth Creationist)
2.) I think Gay Marriage should be legal, its none of my business
3.) I am a libertarian, I believe in minimal government
4.) I think tax exemption laws should be changed, some churches are very charitable while others steal (that is wrong)
5.) I practice friendship evangelism, which basically means I spread my faith by being a good neighbor, not by going door to door
6.) I study my faith regularly, through studying science, history, and related texts
7.) I think Quantum Process is fascinating
8.) I like to talk about the nature of the universe, and the pros and cons of different political philosophies
8.) I would love to meet some of you and better understand your view point
#1 the difference between you and a YEC, is merely how long ago the imaginary dude made the universe..... still nonsense.  Guess you are saying you believe in Theistic evolution, which is not a science.
#2 agree
#3 agree
#4 all churches should pay taxes, and deduct only what goes to help others (not build obscene buildings or salaries for preachers), and not missionaries in other countries to spread the ignorance of christianity (or any other religion).
#5 not a clue what that means, hopefully it might mean you are not a asshole, and just mind your own business.  Hate to think that my neighbor is a nice guy only because he believes in an imaginary father figure, I prefer he actually be a nice guy, without such fantasies.
#6 So your try to find support for a fairy tale in a science book?
#7 But are you always trying to make it fit the nonsense that religion teaches.
#8 Would have to hear what you would say, trying to make it fit the nonsense of creationism.
#9 Forgive me it I seem dubois.
In dog beers I've only had one.

Contemporary Protestant

Yeah feral, you have a good grasp on what I'm saying

When I say nature of the universe, I mean the possibility of other dimensions, time travel, what would be in these other dimensions, does physics apply in other universes,

When I say friendship evangelist I mean I will only talk about my beliefs if it's relevant (you bring up the topic of religion) otherwise I won't go into detail, I'll still mention stuff like when asked about my plans for the weekend, I mention I go to church, or that I'm volunteering at a homeless shelter or something

And I think being a good neighbor is much more than being nice, a good neighbor is someone who can be trusted, if someone Ik is need of help, I help them regardless of who they are

Not everything in my life is tied to religion, for example I like documentaries about musicians, Cobain for example, the band nirvana isn't tied to my religion but I still think they make great music

aitm

Oh I missed this...you really didn't think I would let this pass did you?

Quote1.) I accept evolution as fact, I am an Old Earth Creationist (different than a Young Earth Creationist)
Heresy  "whosoeverth changes one word of this work is guilty of heresy"
Quote2.) I think Gay Marriage should be legal, its none of my business
Heresy "whosoever layeth with a man as he does with a woman shall surely be put to death"
Quote3.) I am a libertarian, I believe in minimal government
Irrelevant, god approves of the government, not you...somewhere in Acts  I think, hell i can't remember all of it..
Quote4.) I think tax exemption laws should be changed, some churches are very charitable while others steal (that is wrong)
Good
Quote5.) I practice friendship evangelism, which basically means I spread my faith by being a good neighbor, not by going door to door
Heresy  thought I forget why  :)
Quote6.) I study my faith regularly, through studying science, history, and related texts
Heresy  " the truth only can be found in my words"
Quote7.) I think Quantum Process is fascinating
Heresy, like goat herders knew what the fuck quantum means....or process for that matter..
Quote8.) I like to talk about the nature of the universe, and the pros and cons of different political philosophies
Inviting heresy... in the beginning..yada yada
Quote8.) I would love to meet some of you and better understand your view point
Most definitely inviting heresy, " he who turns his back to me shall surely be turned back from the gates of heaven"
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Contemporary Protestant

My political leanings are not tied to my religion, included that to be clear I'm not a republican