News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I want to understand Atheism

Started by Contemporary Protestant, April 07, 2014, 07:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contemporary Protestant

Dear Atheists,

I am a contemporary protestant and I want to gain a better understanding of your view point, so I would like to understand what atheists think about death, internal conflict (dealing with hate, racism, et cetera), and other important issues. I am not here to debate, I just want mutual understanding, and I am not malicious, so don't be malicious towards me.

Some things to clarify about my view point

1.) I accept evolution as fact, I am an Old Earth Creationist (different than a Young Earth Creationist)
2.) I think Gay Marriage should be legal, its none of my business
3.) I am a libertarian, I believe in minimal government
4.) I think tax exemption laws should be changed, some churches are very charitable while others steal (that is wrong)
5.) I practice friendship evangelism, which basically means I spread my faith by being a good neighbor, not by going door to door
6.) I study my faith regularly, through studying science, history, and related texts
7.) I think Quantum Process is fascinating
8.) I like to talk about the nature of the universe, and the pros and cons of different political philosophies
8.) I would love to meet some of you and better understand your view point

Contemporary Protestant

Sorry, typo, there are two number "8"s

PickelledEggs

The only thing atheists have in common is that we don't believe in any gods or mythology. Any other worldly views can vary dramatically. That goes for how we feel about equality... politics... everything.

Most of us here are pretty much forward thinkers in terms of equality and human rights... for gender equality, marriage equality, etc.

I hope that clears it up!

Contemporary Protestant

So does that include any notions about the afterlife in general? For example if someone believed "if (law of conservation of energy) is valid then I continue to exist after death" they would not be an atheist?

PickelledEggs

I can speak for myself that I don't believe in afterlife. I don't think any atheist does.

Sent via your mom

PickelledEggs

The law of conservation of energy has nothing to do with souls and where they go when you die. We actually have a "what is a soul"  thread or whatever the thread is named named... if you want to skip through that.

Scientifically speaking, there is no evidence for a soul.

Sent via your mom

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 07:38:58 PM
Thank you

No problem. I hope I answered your questions alright.

Sent via your mom

aileron

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 07:20:52 PM

1.) I accept evolution as fact, I am an Old Earth Creationist (different than a Young Earth Creationist)

I'm not clear on how an Old Earth Creationist would accept evolution as a fact.  Do you mean theistic evolution, i.e. evolution planned or guided by God?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Johan

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 07:33:24 PM
So does that include any notions about the afterlife in general? For example if someone believed "if (law of conservation of energy) is valid then I continue to exist after death" they would not be an atheist?
We're all individuals, there is no hard fast rule for how each of us feels about the afterlife. As has been said, the only thing atheists have in common is that they don't believe in god exists. And even then some of us might argue the use of 'don't believe' in that phrase.

I personally don't believe there is any kind of afterlife. When you die, the switch gets turned off and that's that.

Dealing with internal conflict? I'm not sure how to answer that one. I try to treat others as I'd like to be treated and that's what guides me in most issues involving race. Hate? Its a natural emotion to have but I've found that holding on to it only hurts me so I try not to do that.

Welcome to the forum. if you've got any other questions ask away.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Contemporary Protestant

Thank you for your response, and i wanted to refrain from saying sin but i have to describe it. I hold the belief that even having immoral thoughts is wrong, and that I must train myself not to think mean thoughts about anyone. I hold this belief  because I want to have a pure soul. Since what I understand to be a soul isn't the same as an atheist's,  Do you think it is wrong to even have the desire to do harm? Does that make any sense?

Contemporary Protestant

Yes, Old Earth Creationist believe in guided evolution, and interpret Genesis metaphorically (it is a stone age poem, so I think its a metaphor, and not literal)

Shiranu

I use to believe in an afterlife even after becoming an atheist; more of a reincarnation thing. It's something I still haven't ruled out (after all, the universe will likely last for a very long time after I die... who know's what could happen?), but at the same time I feel that if it is at all possible... the new me will have zero memories and thus make it pointless to call it "me".

I highly doubt that is going to happen though and personally wouldn't want it to be true... life for 99.99% of life forms that have existed sucks compared to the one I've lived.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Johan

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 08:04:07 PM
Thank you for your response, and i wanted to refrain from saying sin but i have to describe it. I hold the belief that even having immoral thoughts is wrong, and that I must train myself not to think mean thoughts about anyone. I hold this belief  because I want to have a pure soul. Since what I understand to be a soul isn't the same as an atheist's,  Do you think it is wrong to even have the desire to do harm? Does that make any sense?
Do you feel guilty if you end up having mean thoughts about others?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

the_antithesis

You want to understand atheism?

What's a god?