Texas teenager arrested after a homemade clock was mistaken for a bomb

Started by drunkenshoe, September 17, 2015, 07:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: stromboli on September 21, 2015, 01:35:41 PM
Either way it is a fine example of over reacting to a kid with a science project. School over reacted, cops over reacted, the media, everybody. 20 years ago this would never have happened and been a non issue. I'm smart enough to know the difference between a radio and a bomb. That the school people didn't think this kid was safe after attending there for some period smacks of homophobia- more focused on his last name than on his schooling or his attendance. Silliness all the way around.

But why did they over react? That's the thing, isn't it? It's not 20 years. just before 9/11 is fine.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PickelledEggs

9/11 was over 10 years ago, but I think it wouldn't matter if it was 10 or 40 years ago. The media in this country has a way of fear-mongering things to make people feel like it just happened only an hour ago. This is (in part) a result of that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Poison Tree on September 22, 2015, 07:29:11 PM
Nor do I remember saying that he did.

Please see pr's video reply#133, in which it is said that the boy went from class to class, which is what Mark Cuban also said, even that the engineering teacher had warned the boy not to show to anyone else, and the boy ignored that warning.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Shiranu on September 23, 2015, 01:42:29 AM
And now Glenn Beck's program is being cited.

Tier 1 brilliance. I tip my hat to you, dear sir, you have outdone yourself.

Those incidents were also reported by other media. I supposed from your pov, they are all conspiring when events contradict your cherish beliefs. Keep up with your knee-jerk reaction. You're doing fine.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 23, 2015, 02:00:47 AM
But why did they over react? That's the thing, isn't it? It's not 20 years. just before 9/11 is fine.

There was an attempt to kill a cartoonist that had drawn pictures of Mohammed in Garland Texas, 25 miles from Irving Texas. So overreaction? Perhaps, but not necessarily so.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 23, 2015, 07:30:09 AM
There was an attempt to kill a cartoonist that had drawn pictures of Mohammed in Garland Texas, 25 miles from Irving Texas. So overreaction? Perhaps, but not necessarily so.

Really? That kid didn't register to school just a few months ago. He is a student of that school.  Neither he went into some public building as a perfect stranger during some exhibition or a special event or some other place he wasn't belonged to.

He made a clock and brought it to his class in his school who has every information about him. That's it. And he was arrested for not making a 'broader explanation' than making a clock for the science class.

You people are trying so hard to normalise this and chalk it up to some 'safety issue' you are out of rational approach and it's bordering 'lying to oneself'. Ahmed got arrested because he is a muslim kid. And he wouldn't if he was a Christian boy.

This is a photo of a 14 year old NERD. Not a terrorist.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

josephpalazzo

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 23, 2015, 08:05:35 AM
Really? That kid didn't register to school just a few months ago. He is a student of that school.  Neither he went into some public building as a perfect stranger during some exhibition or a special event or some other place he wasn't belonged to.

He made a clock and brought it to his class in his school who has every information about him. That's it. And he was arrested for not making a 'broader explanation' than making a clock for the science class.

You people are trying so hard to normalise this and chalk it up to some 'safety issue' you are out of rational approach and it's bordering 'lying to oneself'. Ahmed got arrested because he is a muslim kid. And he wouldn't if he was a Christian boy.

Lets look at the facts: the boy brought a clock-in-a-case that looked like a hoax bomb to the uninformed into school; his engineering teacher told him not to show it around, yet he showed it around; the police showed up, and he was allegedly uncooperative; they decided he was innocent and released him.

There's no scandal here, and definitely not worthy of national attention. So ask the hard questions: why was it sensationalized? And who is profiting from this?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 23, 2015, 08:14:04 AM
Lets look at the facts: the boy brought a clock-in-a-case that looked like a hoax bomb to the uninformed into school; his engineering teacher told him not to show it around, yet he showed it around; the police showed up, and he was allegedly uncooperative; they decided he was innocent and released him.

There's no scandal here, and definitely not worthy of national attention. So ask the hard questions: why was it sensationalized? And who is profiting from this?

Ah no sorry. We have the cop's feed who arrested him. Did you see it? He is saying that the kid was arrested because he couldn't make an explanation for making a clock.

Facts; they handcuffed and arrested him, took his prints. He has a record in the system as someone arrested for suspicion of terrorism. They suspended him for 3 days even though he was perfectly innocent and this was known. And had to leave the school afer all that shit. He won't have a normal life as a kid, highly likely nor as an adult. He wil be a target. Can you imagine the bullshit this kid will have to deal just in his next school?

These are going to follow him for the rest of his life, after that 'sensation' dies out soon he will be left alone to deal with it. It's the fucked up xenophobic American culture who put the kid in this position and it is AGAIN the fucked up American media who profits from it.

Why are you talking about the media sensation and the hype AS IF the kid planned all this to have that? The kid has nothing to do with any of this. Stop blaming the kid!

Like I said, people are trying so hard to normalise this just not to face what it really is, rationality is out of the window. That is more alarming than the whole event. 

josephpalazzo

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 23, 2015, 08:36:44 AM
Ah no sorry. We have the cop's feed who arrested him. Did you see it? He is saying that the kid was arrested because he couldn't make an explanation for making a clock.

Facts; they handcuffed and arrested him, took his prints. He has a record in the system as someone arrested for suspicion of terrorism. They suspended him for 3 days even though he was perfectly innocent and this was known. And had to leave the school afer all that shit. He won't have a normal life as a kid, highly likely nor as an adult. He wil be a target. Can you imagine the bullshit this kid will have to deal just in his next school?

These are going to follow him for the rest of his life, after that 'sensation' dies out soon he will be left alone to deal with it. It's the fucked up xenophobic American culture who put the kid in this position and it is AGAIN the fucked up American media who profits from it.

Why are you talking about the media sensation and the hype AS IF the kid planned all this to have that? The kid has nothing to do with any of this. Stop blaming the kid!

Like I said, people are trying so hard to normalise this just not to face what it really is, rationality is out of the window. That is more alarming than the whole event. 

Just google hoax bombs in the US schools, and you will see that there are many such cases, and few made it in the national news. Also what the police did is standard practice. Also, some students were suspended for that kind of stuff. Here's few examples:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fake-bomb-promposal-gets-washington-state-student-suspended-n347621

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_UwdI4kGtw

Here's case in which the kid was autistic, suspended just for DRAWING a bomb:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/autistic-boy-suspended-south-carolina-middle-school-drawing-cartoonish-picture-bomb-article-1.1487547

Also, I'm not implying the kid sensationalized this. But take a hard look at his father, a known politician who is extremely familiar with dealing with the media.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 23, 2015, 08:51:47 AM
Also, I'm not implying the kid sensationalized this. But take a hard look at his father, a known politician who is extremely familiar with dealing with the media.

So now the suspicious thing that the kid has a politician father -or some muslim politcians have kids or that they are living in the US?- or that a politician is familiar with dealing with media? Do you know a successful politician who is not familiar with dealing with the media? You are out of things to make up, aren't you?

The politician father is the reason to the high profile invitation to the White House. Saudi Arabia is an important and privileged ally of United States of America. OIL.

The example you gave is irrelevant and nothing to compare with Ahmed's case.

The only thing I see that how hard the American society is trying to make this into something it is not and how it is falling apart from every side.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 23, 2015, 11:07:05 AM

The politician father is the reason to the high profile invitation to the White House.

That answers the question: who is profiting from this.

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 23, 2015, 11:07:05 AM
Saudi Arabia is an important and privileged ally of United States of America. OIL.

The father is from Sudan. Get your facts straightened out.

QuoteThe only thing I see that how hard the American society is trying to make this into something it is not and how it is falling apart from every side.

What I see is a disservice to the Muslim community. By acting with a knee-jerk reaction and giving the appearance of an opportunist, the father's action is a setback to the Muslim community as this incident-turned-fiasco will be used in the future as an example of the community screaming "wolf" when there was nothing, and any legitimate outcry from that community will be quickly dismissed. You can thank Mohamed el-Hassan Mohamed for that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 23, 2015, 11:58:05 AM

That answers the question: who is profiting from this.

I don't get why that changes anything about the insane xenophobia; specifically islamophobia, or the fact that the kid was arrested because he was a muslim.

Oh a politician is using something done to his family?! This must be a first in the US! /Sarcasm.

What is the point here, the politician using this opportunity or that it is NOT OK because he is not an American or a Christian one?

QuoteThe father is from Sudan. Get your facts straightened out.

My mistake. And then now it is actually even a bigger PR and targeting the muslim population in the world.

QuoteWhat I see is a disservice to the Muslim community. By acting with a knee-jerk reaction and giving the appearance of an opportunist, the father's action is a setback to the Muslim community as this incident-turned-fiasco will be used in the future as an example of the community screaming "wolf" when there was nothing, and any legitimate outcry from that community will be quickly dismissed. You can thank Mohamed el-Hassan Mohamed for that.

-> You realise that the kid was invited to the White House by the president of the USA, right? The person nobody would question, if he didn't do it. And the reason he was invited was to COMPENSATE for and fix the comical, an embarassing international incident, right? 

Why aren't you criticising the president, for making this something bigger than it is, if you think that way, but just call the father an opportunist? This is something that can whiten his son's position, have you ever thought of that? Besides, why wouldn't he go with it? And why would this be a 'disservice' to the muslim community AND by the way, which muslim community?

Why aren't you criticising the media for blowing it out of proportions? But insist on blaming the family? You sound like you don't know the media in your country. And if Obama didn't invite the kid, would they make it this big in the news? The highest ranking person in your country made this official.

Nobody is seeing this as you describe, Joseph. This is important in an interntaional level, not what Americans see in a domestic level, watching Bill Maher. This politics -inivitation- are NOT made for American society or people. And when a similar thing happens again, it will repeat itself.

The majority of the world is thinking "oh wow, this is fucked up". NOT making up a stories like, 'now if this happens again, then this will happen because this happened and this too in the future, because it is the father's fault and it is a disservice to the muslim community'.

What are you talking about?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 23, 2015, 01:25:02 PM

Why aren't you criticising the president, for making this something bigger than it is, if you think that way, but just call the father an opportunist?

I believe that Obama, along many celebrities, got sucked in. Yes, at first view, it did look like the boy was arrested because he is a Muslim, as the father decried. But other facts came out, and the situation is no longer that clear. Now had the father come out in 6 months from now, had conducted a thorough inquiry and then had shown that all the facts he had uncovered pointed to his claim, then I would be taking him seriously. But that's not what happened. Within two hours of the release of his son, he called a press conference and made his claim. That is an indication of a knee-jerk reaction, to say the least, and more cynically, the work of an opportunist.

QuoteWhy aren't you criticising the media for blowing it out of proportions?

It was blown out proportions from the father's quickly calling a press conference. The father, well known by the media, knew this would make the headlines. Otherwise, no one would be talking about it.

QuoteYou sound like you don't know the media in your country.

He's a tip for you. If you want to know what's happening in the States, you need to read from both the Left and the Right, to get all the pieces. If you read only Left-wing media, you get half the facts, half the story and a lot of knee-jerk reactions. If you read only Right-wing media, you'll get half the facts, half the stories, and not necessarily the same as from your Left-wing media, and a lot of distortions.  But that's the only way you can get a good glimpse of what takes place. I happen to be neither on the Left, nor on the Right. So I don't shy from reading from both sides. Failing to read from both sides and you'll get it wrong, 100% of the time.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 23, 2015, 01:49:34 PM

Here's a tip for you. If you want to know what's happening in the States

...never listen to Mark Cuban's bullshit.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

drunkenshoe

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 23, 2015, 01:49:34 PM
I believe that Obama, along many celebrities, got sucked in. Yes, at first view, it did look like the boy was arrested because he is a Muslim, as the father decried. But other facts came out, and the situation is no longer that clear. Now had the father come out in 6 months from now, had conducted a thorough inquiry and then had shown that all the facts he had uncovered pointed to his claim, then I would be taking him seriously. But that's not what happened. Within two hours of the release of his son, he called a press conference and made his claim. That is an indication of a knee-jerk reaction, to say the least, and more cynically, the work of an opportunist.

Of course he got sucked in. But why did he feel like he had to invite the kid? He could have just made a mention one of his coming speechs? He didn't have to make it a big show. Forget Mark Zuckerberg, how about Hillary?

OK, then let me learn those other facts too? I am asking an honest question. What are those facts that proves this is not what it looks? 

And I still don't get why the father making a press conference is a big issue. He is a politician and isn't he expected to do something like this?

Celebrities with less importance cannot shag, shit or breed without makinga press conference in the US. If this came out after 6 months then you would probbaly say, 'why did he wait for that long, but make this known after it happened?' wouldn't you?

Sounds like you are blaming the father for integrating into American society too well.

QuoteIt was blown out proportions from the father's quickly calling a press conference. The father, well known by the media, knew this would make the headlines. Otherwise, no one would be talking about it.

Again, why this is an issue?

QuoteHe's a tip for you. If you want to know what's happening in the States, you need to read from both the Left and the Right, to get all the pieces. If you read only Left-wing media, you get half the facts, half the story and a lot of knee-jerk reactions. If you read only Right-wing media, you'll get half the facts, half the stories, and not necessarily the same as from your Left-wing media, and a lot of distortions.  But that's the only way you can get a good glimpse of what takes place. I happen to be neither on the Left, nor on the Right. So I don't shy from reading from both sides. Failing to read from both sides and you'll get it wrong, 100% of the time.

Joseph, I have seen the news in the Jerusalam Post first. You don't get more right and religious and against islam than that. And then I googled it and posted here.