News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheist/Agnostic Tattoos. Good or Bad?

Started by Bluewind, April 13, 2016, 02:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Don't personally have any because I never have been motivated enough to get one. All my children have them, all 3 atheists. Was in the Navy for 4 years and walked past many tattoo parlors, just never that interested. Have fun if that is your thing.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on July 14, 2016, 09:40:42 AM
Don't personally have any because I never have been motivated enough to get one. All my children have them, all 3 atheists. Was in the Navy for 4 years and walked past many tattoo parlors, just never that interested. Have fun if that is your thing.
I got one of twenty identical tattoos (a cobra drawn on the flight from Seattle to Hong Kong (for further transit, obviously)) back in 1970. Still looks good. "Pinky's Tattoo Parlor, the place to go for a tat in Wan Chai!"

But I did get a laugh out of a cousin who told me that "Magneto is very proud of his atheist tattoo!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Johan

Quote from: Bluewind on April 13, 2016, 02:05:35 AM
If you had the option right now to get a permanent mark on your body (easily hidden spot or very public area) showing that you are an Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist, or other type of non-theist, would you do it? Before you think about the pain and such, in this hypothetical situation the tattoo would be painless, instant, well designed to your taste, free, and can never be removed for the rest of your life.
Would I do it? No. Absolutely not. Neither the pain nor the cost have anything to do with that.

QuoteFollow up questions
1. What is your opinion and reaction to those who get real world tattoos symbolizing that they are not theists and of the images themselves?
Every tattoo, regardless of content, conveys the exact same message to me. They all say 'I make poor life choices and I don't care who knows it'.
Quote2. Would it be dangerous for those like us to have a visible tattoo showing their beliefs?
There is no upside to it at all. The downside would vary but could be significant depending on career field and geographic location.
Quote3. Is it hypocritical and/or wrong for people to get religious tattoos (which is a very popular subject for tattoos) if their holy text says it's wrong or a sin if it's done to show their faith?
See answer #1.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

I have one tat, MRA (no, not men's rights association) It's on my right arm to signify it's my right arm..MRA=My Right Arm.. Actually it's my inititals, but over the years a lot of pretty women have bought into the My right arm story in bars always followed up by 'Wanna see where I have MD tattooed at?'  It actually worked once..and no..I don't have a dick tattoo..

True story..My rap sheet with the Dayton police actually has stated, 'Tattoo on right arm. My Right Arm '
I told that to a cop once years ago when I was arrested for public intox. It makes me laugh because they never removed it and I'll never tell them.. lol
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shiranu

QuoteEvery tattoo, regardless of content, conveys the exact same message to me. They all say 'I make poor life choices and I don't care who knows it'.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Johan

Shrug. Just being honest. I know people love them and all that but I've just never seen an upside and I've seen plenty of downsides. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in the world with this opinion.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

Fair enough, just not sure of the point of judging people who appreciate a different type of art than you do. To each their own.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Johan

Shiranu

Quote from: Johan on July 17, 2016, 08:16:19 PM
People judge. Its what we do.

I get that, it's just over such trivial things that it seems... trivial.

Johan

The question was generalized so I was talking in general terms.

Some tattoos are indeed relatively trivial examples of art.

Others, not so much.

aitm

I am somewhat of a selfish economist about tats. TBH,  I don't think they add anything to a person that can't be overcome with some psychology, or confidence, however this is not the argument. I have 200 bucks…..do I give it to some person to inject a mild poison into my skin and have a permanent picture of that choice or do i upgrade from a mcdonalds to a Carrabba's…..for a month….not a hard choice for me. I prefer good food.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

See, and I don't really have any problem with that... you like what you like, other's like what they like and everyone is happy. I just have one gripe...

QuoteTBH,  I don't think they add anything to a person that can't be overcome with some psychology, or confidence, however this is not the argument.

I don't particularly understand this. For me, my ink represents two things; first, it is a way of connecting with my heritage which has a long history of tattoo work, and the designs represent several motifs from my different ethnic backgrounds and places I've lived Edit: Let me expand that abit; not just my heritage, but human history. Tattoos go back thousands of years, and I find that a cool way to share something with people of the past. Second, it is almost all my own art work... I'm not sure what is more confident than putting my own art on my skin for the rest of my life where everyone can see it and judge it.

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on July 18, 2016, 12:55:36 AM
Second, it is almost all my own art work... I'm not sure what is more confident than putting my own art on my skin for the rest of my life where everyone can see it and judge it.

I'm going to call bullshit on this one. You wanna know what shows more confidence than putting your own art on your own skin? That's easy. Putting your own art on a canvas with a price tag. Or putting your own art in a portfolio that you shop to potential commercial art employers. You've got talent. Putting it to use on your skin is wasting it and I'm not just saying that as someone who doesn't get the attraction of tattoos.

Cavebear

Tattoos are entirely personal., *I* wouldn't have one.  I don't even put bumper stickers on my car.  I think tattoos are stupid.  I think less of people who have them.  Its like having an office worker apply for a job with screaming blue spiked hair.  They won't fit in.  Be a rebel if you want, but expect to pay a price. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Eck. Thank god people who think like that are dying off. Tattoos are not even remotely rebellious; 29 percent of Americans have one, and from the 18 to 29 age group 40 percent have one. I would wager the number of spiked blue haired office workers is closer to something like .00000002% of of the total population.

On that note, getting a new one in a couple of weeks, this time of one of the world's oldest prayers in Tibetan. It's pretty cool, some anthropologists think that mantras like Om Mani Padme Hung go all the way back to shaman and animism, and chants like Om may even predate actual language.

Not an atheist tattoo, infact the exact opposite, but still... it has to do with the career/hobby I want. Up next will probably be something "Mexican" (probably Aztec) inspired. Want to get my right arm covered in mythology.