Indiana trooper fired for proselytizing on duty to motorist

Started by widdershins, April 08, 2016, 02:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdershins

Man, I love how things are starting to change in America.  It wasn't all that long ago when freedom from persecution by religious people was an impossible dream.  And today I read not one, but TWO stories which inspire me and give me hope for the future of freedom from religion.
This sentence is a lie...

TomFoolery

Don't get too comfortable, as the Army of God hasn't had sufficient time to organize a defense against this "religious persecution." Despite the fact that no one would dispute it's inappropriate to sell other products while on duty as a police officer (gym memberships or Mary Kay cosmetics for example), somehow there are many with the idea that it should be ok to sell God.

It's really funny, I have a "no soliciting" sign on my door and it never stopped the Jehovah's Witnesses and church groups from knocking on my door anyway. I used a Sharpie to amend the sign to "No Soliciting (even for Jesus)" and I still get just as many knocks as I did before.

Literally no one likes telemarketers or pushy salespeople, but you know, it's different when we're praising the Lord and all that. In their minds, they aren't being rude, they're "letting their light shine through." 
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

Quote from: TomFoolery on April 08, 2016, 11:34:57 PM
Despite the fact that no one would dispute it's inappropriate to sell other products while on duty as a police officer (gym memberships or Mary Kay cosmetics for example), somehow there are many with the idea that it should be ok to sell God.

How about Tupperware?

Nonsensei

I'd buy tupperware during a traffic stop if it meant I didn't get a ticket.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Johan

It's really funny, I have a "no soliciting" sign on my door and it never stopped the Jehovah's Witnesses and church groups from knocking on my door anyway. I used a Sharpie to amend the sign to "No Soliciting (even for Jesus)" and I still get just as many knocks as I did before. 
From what I've read, those in the business of soliciting door to door are trained to look for those signs and target them. The reason being that it is very common for people who can't say no to solicitors and sales people (i.e. easy marks) to use those signs in an attempt to keep them away. Your sign actually attracts them instead of keeping them away.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

TomFoolery

Quote from: Johan on April 09, 2016, 09:11:18 AM
From what I've read, those in the business of soliciting door to door are trained to look for those signs and target them. The reason being that it is very common for people who can't say no to solicitors and sales people (i.e. easy marks) to use those signs in an attempt to keep them away. Your sign actually attracts them instead of keeping them away.

Interesting. I also have a beware of dog sign and every time they read the doorbell, he goes nuts. Then I open the door and make a show of holding him back. If they comment about him, I just say something like, "He's an atheist" or "He's incredibly good at reading people, I don't know what it is about you..." and they turn cold pretty quick.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Gawdzilla Sama

Don't get too comfortable, as the Army of God hasn't had sufficient time to organize a defense against this "religious persecution." Despite the fact that no one would dispute it's inappropriate to sell other products while on duty as a police officer (gym memberships or Mary Kay cosmetics for example), somehow there are many with the idea that it should be ok to sell God.

Literally no one likes telemarketers or pushy salespeople, but you know, it's different when we're praising the Lord and all that. In their minds, they aren't being rude, they're "letting their light shine through." 
Pepper spray. The word will get around.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: TomFoolery on April 09, 2016, 09:25:28 AM
Interesting. I also have a beware of dog sign and every time they read the doorbell, he goes nuts. Then I open the door and make a show of holding him back. If they comment about him, I just say something like, "He's an atheist" or "He's incredibly good at reading people, I don't know what it is about you..." and they turn cold pretty quick.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on April 09, 2016, 08:15:55 AM
How about Tupperware?
Amway would be better to sell for a police officer--or maybe Avon.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 09, 2016, 10:50:12 AM
Amway would be better to sell for a police officer--or maybe Avon.

There's an interesting movie called "Go", I think was the name.  Where this officer nails some drug users, and turns them into undercover snitches.  He invites them to his house for dinner, where he and his wife end up trying to recruit them into selling Amway products, although they didn't call it Amway, but it was the same kind of pyramid scheme.  The movie has much more to it, and it's worth a watch, but it's kind of violent.

kilodelta

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 09, 2016, 09:53:29 AM
Pepper spray. The word will get around.

Yes! Make sure it sprays when the doorbell is rung. Leave a small sign by it saying it's a pepper spray button. "This is not a door bell. It sprays capsaicin oil."
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: kilodelta on April 09, 2016, 12:27:50 PM
Yes! Make sure it sprays when the doorbell is rung. Leave a small sign by it saying it's a pepper spray button. "This is not a door bell. It sprays capsaicin oil."
Where's the fun in that?
PZ Myers

Johan

Quote from: TomFoolery on April 09, 2016, 09:25:28 AM
We've considered putting up no soliciting signs many times. But everything I've read about them says you will be targeted more, not less, if you have one. So we solved the problem by moving to a place in the woods. Those solicitors aren't afraid of signs, but they do seem to get skittish at the thought of heading up a long driveway that might bring them face to face with the business end of a shotgun.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

widdershins

This sentence is a lie...