Georgia Governor Deal Shows Some Fucking Sense

Started by The Skeletal Atheist, March 03, 2016, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skeletal Atheist

Warning: Link shows a republican governor being somewhat rational

QuoteGeorgia Gov. Nathan Deal (R) broke ranks with his state’s conservative lawmakers on Thursday in speaking out against a proposed “religious freedom” bill, Towleroad reported.

“I think what the New Testament teaches us is that Jesus reached out to those who were considered the outcasts, the ones that did not conform to the religious societies’ view of the world and said to those of belief, ‘This is what I want you to do,'” Deal said after a ribbon-cutting ceremony in Atlanta. “We do not have a belief â€" in my way of looking at religion â€" that says we have to discriminate against anybody. If you were to apply those standards to the teaching of Jesus, I don’t think they fit.”

The measure, which was passed with bipartisan support in the state Senate, would allow clergy to opt out of performing same-sex marriages, and protect “a person or faith-based organization who believes, speaks, or acts in accordance with certain sincerely held religious beliefs” from incurring any penalties from the state government.

The bill has already drawn comparisons to heavily-criticized measures in Arkansas and Indiana which were ultimately walked back. But despite stating his belief that marriage is between a man and a woman, Deal has said that this type of legislation is “not one of those issues that I have been pushing.”

We are not jeopardized, in my opinion, by those who believe differently from us,” Deal said. “We are not, in my opinion, put in jeopardy by virtue of those who might hold different beliefs or who may not even agree with what our Supreme Court said the law of the land is on the issue of same-sex marriage. I do not feel threatened by the fact that people who might choose same-sex marriages pursue that route.”

As much as I disagree with the guy at times, he is one of the more sensible red state governors. He also accepted the SCOTUS decision on marriage equality with grace, even though he personally disagrees.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Nonsensei

Sounds like hes expressing his opinion only after it no longer matters.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Nonsensei on March 03, 2016, 10:39:12 PM
Sounds like hes expressing his opinion only after it no longer matters.
The bill hasn't yet been sent to his desk or approved by the house, so it still matters.

Nonsensei

And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Nonsensei on March 03, 2016, 10:42:33 PM
Oh, I thought it had already passed.
Nah. He also said he'd reject any bill that allows discrimination. I don't know if this is due to the money Georgia would lose, or due to what his heart says, but either way it's good for me.

Also during research I learned that he quietly changed the names of two holidays commemorating the Confederacy to "State Holiday".

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/politics/2015/08/08/confederate-holidays-removed-georgia-calendar/31344079/

TomFoolery

I still find it absurd that a politician would feel the urge to evoke "What would Jesus do" when figuring out how to enact legislation.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: TomFoolery on March 03, 2016, 11:07:21 PM
I still find it absurd that a politician would feel the urge to evoke "What would Jesus do" when figuring out how to enact legislation.
How else are you suppose to talk to your conservative base?

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: TomFoolery on March 03, 2016, 11:07:21 PM

Every male in Georgia gets circumcised and has a Bar Mitzvah if they are 13 or older.  Bat Mitzvah and no circumcision if they are women.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Baruch on March 04, 2016, 06:42:00 AM
Every male in Georgia gets circumcised and has a Bar Mitzvah if they are 13 or older.  Bat Mitzvah and no circumcision if they are women.
Fuck, I must have missed out on my Bar Mitzvah.

Baruch

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on March 04, 2016, 06:44:43 AM
Fuck, I must have missed out on my Bar Mitzvah.

You can have one anytime after 13 too.  There are examples of senior citizens getting a Bar or Bat Mitzvah.  But you have to convert ... after being told you can't three times over some indeterminate period of time.  Only the most determined convert, and the most liberal rabbi, will allow any conversions.

In Israel, where there are competing Jewish sects, some men have been circumcised more than once ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Baruch on March 04, 2016, 07:04:32 AM
You can have one anytime after 13 too.  There are examples of senior citizens getting a Bar or Bat Mitzvah.  But you have to convert ... after being told you can't three times over some indeterminate period of time.  Only the most determined convert, and the most liberal rabbi, will allow any conversions.

In Israel, where there are competing Jewish sects, some men have been circumcised more than once ;-(
I'd rather not have more of my dick cut off.

drunkenshoe

Male circumcision is an extension of a literal castration and sacrifice ritual -which the strongest male of the tribe is sacrificied violently after ruling over as a 'king for a year' in winter solictice (hello jesus; born again as a god'; became a god breaking the tradition lol)- that existed thousands of years ago in some ancient pagan cultures and adopted by judaism on the 'road' to monotheism.

It's a monstrously violent ritual that has the record in Egyptian archives told as practiced 'thousands of years ago' which are thousands of years old themselves. (I had to translate an interpretation of that ritual and it is highly disturbing.)

Sacrifice is the most ancient belief of paying blood for 'safety of the tribe' and it 'counts more' if you sacrificise the stronger and bigger animal possible which is male among humans along with strong animals like bull. The logic is if you want to play blood for the safety of the tribe, pay it in human blood. Currency of the gods,lol.

So those Israeli men are actually 'castrating' themselves over again to prove their faith to their god, EXACTLY like the pagans did thousands and thousands of years ago.   

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Sacrifice for the tribe?  You speak as if that is a bad thing!  Too bad there aren't any volcanoes in Turkey, I so assume there are virgins available ;-)

Sacrificing the "sun king" every 12 months is something we need to get back to.  Then the US government would need new politicians every 12 months ;-))  And the only volunteers would be people who really really want to be in politics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

The Skeletal Atheist

It passed the house. Now it's all riding on Deal to veto it. Here's hoping he'll keep to his word.