News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Body Donation to Science

Started by AllRight, February 27, 2016, 06:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllRight

Sorry if this is morbid, but I am curious to know other atheists thoughts on what they want done with their remains after they die.  I have given this a lot of thought and am considering filling out the form to have my body donated to science.  It's free and I just don't want an expensive open casket funeral or religious service.  I don't know how my family will react but I know I don't want to be buried.  The organization that I read about sends cremated remains to the family 6-12 weeks after the donation.

pr126

My choice is 10 minutes in hell. Cremation.
If anyone wants to, can juggle with the ashes.

SGOS

I'm happy to be an organ donor.  I never gave much thought to giving my body to a group of drunken grad students.  I hope they can manage without me.

aitm

I am planning to be donated to a body farm. Google it. My brother is a professor of forensic sciences and he got me interested in this. Let some one have fun with my stiffy when I am gone.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

If you want to assist future medical students, it is a good idea.  I think it is morbid not to cremate, if you don't donate.  And the ashes should be scattered, not kept on a shelf.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

I like the idea of rotting in the sun so to speak. To me, it would be as close to "reincarnation" by allowing your atoms direct access to the "winds of life"…..sounds bloody romantic eh?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on February 27, 2016, 08:26:21 AM
I am planning to be donated to a body farm. Google it. My brother is a professor of forensic sciences and he got me interested in this. Let some one have fun with my stiffy when I am gone.

Well maybe, but I'd want to be more than a statistical piece of data if they throw me in a dumpster for two weeks just to see what happens.  At minimum I'd want a by-line:  "Within a few minutes after his death, Subject SGOS, a profligate misfit from an obscure forum for misanthropes  was placed ass up in a dumpster behind his house.  After 17 days,  a consensus of  neighbors reported that he still looked "pretty good (more or less)", and several said they could still recognize him from smell alone.  When this evidence was presented in court, a jury quickly convicted his brother (Jerry, the Mongoose) of tampering with evidence, who was then sentenced to 16 years in Federal Prison."

I'd want to be a legacy, rather than just a statistic.

Mike Cl

My mother had her body donated to science--to Oregon State University, to be exact.  When she died, the body was taken away.  When they were through doing what they were doing, they cremated her body and returned it in an urn to our family.  My mother insisted there be no funeral or burial rite.  She wanted something like all of the family and friends that wanted to attend a wake like meeting, featuring cakes, cookies (two of her favorite things) coffee and soda--and stories of mom.  That all came to pass--and I like it! 

I have not attended a funeral of any of my family and friends for the last 60 yrs.  I will not be attending any in the future.  I do go to funerals that my wife wants to attend, but I go stickily to  support her and nobody else.  Yeah, I know, I'm weird (see the 'weird' thread).  Get used to it.....................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

Depends. We are planning to donate my wife's body for MS research. In Utah there are so many people volunteering their corpses that they actually charge money, rather than pay it. But SOP for the bodies they accept is cremation and returning it in an urn.

You need to check with local authorities/universities and also morticians, since they are usually the ones that handle the bodies.

aitm

Maybe the "atheist nation" should establish a fund raising. Whenever an evil unbeliever dies, the AN carts the body to an active volcano and charges christians 20 bucks a pop to watch the evil person's body flung into the bowels of hell itself.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on February 27, 2016, 09:46:54 AM
Maybe the "atheist nation" should establish a fund raising. Whenever an evil unbeliever dies, the AN carts the body to an active volcano and charges christians 20 bucks a pop to watch the evil person's body flung into the bowels of hell itself.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH

Not a bad idea. The only issue would be transporting a body to an active volcano. There certainly are plenty of them.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_volcanos

josephpalazzo

Quote from: aitm on February 27, 2016, 09:46:54 AM

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH

It's certainly an improvement. In ancient times they used a virgin girl. What a waste that was...

stromboli

Quote from: josephpalazzo on February 27, 2016, 10:52:43 AM
It's certainly an improvement. In ancient times they used a virgin girl. What a waste that was...

Come to Utah. We got in virgins in holding patterns waiting for missionaries to drag them off to the temple. The "Singles Wards" are hunting territory for predators. A raped/non virgin girl in Mormon speak is a "licked cupcake" and no longer worthy. Girls that get raped are so humiliated and traumatized that half the time they don't tell anybody. That is the love of Jesus right there.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on February 27, 2016, 11:08:33 AM
Come to Utah. We got in virgins in holding patterns waiting for missionaries to drag them off to the temple. The "Singles Wards" are hunting territory for predators. A raped/non virgin girl in Mormon speak is a "licked cupcake" and no longer worthy. Girls that get raped are so humiliated and traumatized that half the time they don't tell anybody. That is the love of Jesus right there.

Joseph Smith basically turned the clock backward and instituted polygamy. Now, I don't know why Smith wanted polygamy, probably had personal reasons - didn't liked to be tied down to one woman, who knows, but polygamy is in the bible. The Jews were polygamous until circa 1000 CE. The early Christians were also polygamous. It was the Romans who were monogamous and looked down on the Jews and Christians, considering them as primitives. So the early Christians eventually realized that to get new recruits in the Roman empire and be considered legitimate, decided at one point that monogamy was the way to go. As to the desirability of a virgin, as I said in another thread, in ancient times, virgins were reserved for gods to copulate with humans. Virgin meant unspoiled, unstained, the closest thing to perfection, and that's what a god would want.

pr126

Quote from: stromboli on February 27, 2016, 11:08:33 AM

At least they are not stoned to death.

I think that Joseph Smith must have plagiarised some ideas from the Quran.
There are a few similarities too obvious to ignore.