News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The X-Files is back!

Started by Hydra009, January 26, 2016, 09:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1SmJUBT5q0

Making threads about TV shows seems to be the trendy thing to do, so here it is.

Way back in the 90s, this show was the bomb!  November 1993 to May 2001.  9 seasons and 202 episodes.  I loved it...well, most of it...well, it was okay.  When Mulder left, the series sorta crashed and burned.  And I don't remember the series finale other than it being incredibly bogus.  And now, almost 15 years later, it's back, baby!

I can't wait to see what Mulder makes of 9/11.  *dawning horror*  Oh god.  I take it back!

I can't say I loved the premier.  There's just so much wrong here.  Mulder went from being kinda nuts but at least somewhat self-critical and self-aware to being full-on pants-on-head crazy.  Like Glen Beck at his chalkboard times 10 crazy.  You could walk up to Mulder and say that birds are really government surveillance drones and he'd believe you.  He takes a tiny bit of actual knowledge and assumes a gigantic amount and calls it the truth.  He's always sort of done that, but this is over-the-top, even for him.  He's in bed with an Alex Jones-type guy, and it's really sad to see him lower himself to that level.

Scully calls Mulder out on his bullshit, but instead of applying her normal skepticism, she basically just calls him a traitor, which is really out of character.  And for all its shadowy conspiracies and government cover-ups, there's actually not much intrigue here.  Too much is revealed to the audience - there's basically no mystery.  And the alien-seeking duo never really have much evidence to work with, at least not until the big reveal at the end.  Dun dun DUN!

I'm hoping the show picks up.  I want to believe that the show will get better.  Make me a believer, guys.

Mr.Obvious

Even if you say it is not that great, i'm gonna have to check it out.
Despite the show going out on an unremarkeble note, i really liked if a lot in general. I have many of it's seasons on dvd at home.
I always liked The stand-alone episodes much more than The overarching story though. Maybe if They Some of those, The old vibe will pick up again. Here is to hoping!
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 27, 2016, 02:12:20 AMEven if you say it is not that great, i'm gonna have to check it out.
Do yourself a favor and skip ahead to the second episode of the new season.  I just watched it and it's great.  It totally changed my perspective.  This series is fine by me now.  But yeah, the first episode was kinda crappy.

_Xenu_

This is actually a six episode mini-series, but the ratings have been very high. If they hold, I would expect another season.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

SGOS

I don't have TV, so unless I sign up for Hulu or one of those, I won't have a chance to catch it.  I mostly missed the firsts series, except when I caught momentary glimpses as I surfed past it to something else.  But I never saw a complete episode.  I owe it to myself to see what the first series was about.  I'll be interested in hearing more.  It's not unusual for me to take an interest in something that was a major success long after its heyday.

Baruch

Stepford Scully?

Bring back the golum, not the Gollum ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

TrueStory

Quote from: SGOS on January 27, 2016, 07:03:01 AM
I don't have TV, so unless I sign up for Hulu or one of those, I won't have a chance to catch it.  I mostly missed the firsts series, except when I caught momentary glimpses as I surfed past it to something else.  But I never saw a complete episode.  I owe it to myself to see what the first series was about.  I'll be interested in hearing more.  It's not unusual for me to take an interest in something that was a major success long after its heyday.
It's free on the main fox site right now.  The first episode was pretty bad, the second was very close to what the original series was.
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

SGOS

Quote from: TrueStory on January 27, 2016, 12:12:53 PM
It's free on the main fox site right now.  The first episode was pretty bad, the second was very close to what the original series was.

Thanks.  I located the page and bookmarked it.

doorknob

I love X files. Just remember to not think too hard on it.

but seeing as how the last time I watched I was a christian and am now and atheist I'd like to see if I have a different take on it. I'll bet I do since there are a lot of things I see in a whole new light.

AllPurposeAtheist

Golly...and here we go with yet another round of people start thinking that aliens are among us and Obama is a reptile overlord..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on January 27, 2016, 01:51:20 PM
Golly...and here we go with yet another round of people start thinking that aliens are among us and Obama is a reptile overlord..

Ha, remember Visitors? The first TV series.  I loved it back then. Xfiles never really did it for me though.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: doorknob on January 27, 2016, 01:46:47 PMI love X files. Just remember to not think too hard on it.
Heh.  That's very true.

One of my personal favorites was Field Trip, which takes place in Boone County, NC - a fictional place - which is odd because they have no problem using Asheville, which actually exists.  But I can fudge it and assume they meant the town of Boone.  Also, Mulder uses a map of South Carolina instead of North Carolina.   :lol:

Nonsensei

I'm going to wait until they have all shown then download them from some illegal source and marathon them on a weekend.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 27, 2016, 03:53:34 PM
Also, Mulder uses a map of South Carolina instead of North Carolina.   :lol:

OMG! :s_laugh: