News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Transgender people's rights

Started by Jannabear, January 21, 2016, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannabear

in america currently, many transgender people are denied rights, they're prevented  from getting a job that they're qualified for simply for being trans, they are denied access to the bathroom that corresponds with the gender they identify with, and there's alot of social issues going on to, transgender people are looked at very oddly and typically negatively by many people.
There's a notion that it's a choice and that it's a mental disorder, both of which have been scientifically disproven (there are differences in the brains of transgender people that can't just be explained away or changed.)
I'm personally transgender, so I know the shit that transgender people get legally and socially.
Transgender people are more likely to be raped, more likely to attempt suicide, and have alot of bias towards them.
Thoughts on how to fix this?
I'm personally transitioning right now, I'm taking estrogen.
I'm nonbinary in how I express myself and I'm pansexual.
(Don't mix this in with the stupid tumblr shit, pansexual is an actual sexuality (I'll date someone regardless of their biological sex, male, female, intersex, transgender, etc), and nonbinary is basically just a more neutral way of expressing yourself.)
It's not the same as this zir shit that you see on tumblr.

stromboli

There have been 32 suicides by Mormon LGBT youth since the LDS church's latest policy announcement that marginalized gays and gay/transgender children

http://affirmation.org/our-lives-are-a-gift-to-us-and-to-the-world/

My best friend, a gay man, was beaten and robbed about 3 months ago. I agree with you.

Hijiri Byakuren

I'm not reading that word salad. This is not a chat room, you have plenty of time to write proper English. Mobile platforms are not an excuse: I have written goddamn essays on an iPhone 5.

/rant over
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Jannabear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 21, 2016, 10:49:59 PM
I'm not reading that word salad. This is not a chat room, you have plenty of time to write proper English. Mobile platforms are not an excuse: I have written goddamn essays on an iPhone 5.

/rant over
why wasn't it readable?

_Xenu_

/rant over
Harsh much? This person came here for our help.

Jannabear : I am admittedly not trans and do not have much perspective on it. It would be easier for those who are to make suggestions.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

drunkenshoe

Make paragraphs. Try to explain it in longer sentences instead of just writing short lines, one after another.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Jannabear on January 22, 2016, 02:06:10 AM
why wasn't it readable?
Lack of paragraphs and complete sentences. It just looks like a wall of text (albeit a short one) which is really off-putting. (Though it likely doesn't help that I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi.)
Quote from: _Xenu_ on January 22, 2016, 06:15:55 AM
Harsh much? This person came here for our help.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

/rant over

You and I are more alike than different. I would worry about that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: stromboli on January 22, 2016, 10:30:20 AM
You and I are more alike than different. I would worry about that.

Oddly enough I kind of agree with someone on my ignore list as well. Fuck! There must be some goddamned woo involved here somewhere.. Grammar Nazi? Well that's saying something, as IF to imply this individual knows jack shit and I'm just not prepared to go that far.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on January 22, 2016, 10:54:16 AM
Oddly enough I kind of agree with someone on my ignore list as well. Fuck! There must be some goddamned woo involved here somewhere.. Grammar Nazi? Well that's saying something, as IF to imply this individual knows jack shit and I'm just not prepared to go that far.
I love you too, APA.

widdershins

Quote from: Jannabear on January 21, 2016, 09:42:24 PM
in america currently, many transgender people are denied rights, they're prevented  from getting a job that they're qualified for simply for being trans, they are denied access to the bathroom that corresponds with the gender they identify with, and there's alot of social issues going on to, transgender people are looked at very oddly and typically negatively by many people.
There's a notion that it's a choice and that it's a mental disorder, both of which have been scientifically disproven (there are differences in the brains of transgender people that can't just be explained away or changed.)
I'm personally transgender, so I know the shit that transgender people get legally and socially.
Transgender people are more likely to be raped, more likely to attempt suicide, and have alot of bias towards them.
Thoughts on how to fix this?
I'm personally transitioning right now, I'm taking estrogen.
I'm nonbinary in how I express myself and I'm pansexual.
(Don't mix this in with the stupid tumblr shit, pansexual is an actual sexuality (I'll date someone regardless of their biological sex, male, female, intersex, transgender, etc), and nonbinary is basically just a more neutral way of expressing yourself.)
It's not the same as this zir shit that you see on tumblr.
I can actually see the issue with the bathrooms from both sides.  Yes, you want to use the bathroom you feel comfortable with.  I can understand that.  But other people use the bathroom too, and they have just as much right to be comfortable in the bathroom as you do.  Frankly, if you have a penis you should use the bathroom designed for penises unless nobody has a problem with it.  That bathroom was, after all, designed to accommodate the genitals you have, not the ones you identify with.  And if you can't see why a parent may be uncomfortable with someone lugging a penis into the room where their daughter has her pants down then you are really just demanding that people be sensitive to your comfort while completely ignoring theirs.  I know it's not "fair", but neither is it fair to require all other people to "get over" their discomfort so that you can be comfortable.  And, frankly, life just isn't that fair.

Contrary to the one-sided argument for using the bathroom of the gender you identify with, the only real solution is to build new bathrooms.  You either need individual bathrooms or a third set of compartmentalized bathrooms.  In the very least you would need to redesign the bathrooms to have a common room for washing up and stalls with actual doors for privacy while partially unclothed.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm all for rights of the LGBT community.  But those rights have to be reasonable.  You can't say "You have to make these people comfortable, I don't care how uncomfortable it makes you!"  That is even more unfair than the situation now.  That is actively telling people that only the comfort of people not like them matters.  And before you say it, that's not what you're facing now.  What you're facing now is a "What the fuck do we do about this new thing?" situation.  It wasn't an issue when most bathrooms were built.  It is a new issue which we are trying to find a way to deal with.  But the "right" way to deal with it is certainly not to allow anyone to walk into any bathroom they feel "comfortable" with.  I don't mind explaining to my daughter why a woman has a penis.  In fact, I have had that conversation recently (not exactly the penis thing, but why that guy was dressed like a woman).  My explanation started with, "Honey, that is a woman..." and went on from there.  So I am sensitive to the issue.  But that doesn't mean I want my daughter to see that penis.  Like it or not, that, regardless how you feel about yourself, the actual, physical differences are important at times and a bathroom is definitely one of those times.  And, by the way, "bathroom" doesn't necessarily mean a room with stalls, urinals and sinks.  The bathrooms at the YMCA, for instance, also have shower stalls and changing benches where "seeing" is a very real issue.
This sentence is a lie...

Baruch

Nudists of the world unite!  You have only to lose your embarrassment at how ugly you are!

Or just get rid of the urinals in the men's restroom, and add a couch and a tampon dispenser (for the D-men) ... add a rubber dispenser in both (for the R-women).  That way everybody has a free choice of bottom add-on, has privacy, and can have a good cry together ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Jannabear, perhaps you don't realize it,but you've already stated that you refuse to self censor your own speech and then complain that the vast majority of the world just won't fall in line with your demands to be comfortable with whatever you say think or do.
My dad, not a religious man at all used to tell me that Christ didn't die on the cross just for me  and while that's really just metaphorical jibberish there's a bit of truth in it as well.  The world doesn't really owe you a fucking thing any more than anyone else.
You come across as best as I can tell as rather selfish and self serving demanding we all change for a very small number of people who historically have been pretty much treated with contempt for better or worse for a very long time.  To be quite honest you really should consider yourself very lucky to be alive in a period of time when the LGBT community is tolerated at all much less not killed on sight.
I'm not saying that you're wrong with wanting rights, but demanding that everyone just accept your life choices without question is plain fucking silly. I remember a time when I could have been beaten just because I have long hair and suddenly within the past few years we have transgender people making demands completely unthinkable a few years ago.
Perhaps you believe that the tide will not and cannot turn against you, but biology would argue without a single word and the tide could easily turn against you just for seeming to feel so entitled.. Like it or not respect is earned and it takes a lot to earn it. You might not even realize it, but it's much easier to lose respect from people than to earn it.  So far as best as I can see you've done nothing to earn a bit of respect. Try earning respect before demanding it.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jannabear

I put -'s with my responses.
Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on January 22, 2016, 11:26:27 PM
Jannabear, perhaps you don't realize it,but you've already stated that you refuse to self censor your own speech and then complain that the vast majority of the world just won't fall in line with your demands to be comfortable with whatever you say think or do.
-So making a criticism is equal to censorship, ok, that makes sense.

My dad, not a religious man at all used to tell me that Christ didn't die on the cross just for me  and while that's really just metaphorical jibberish there's a bit of truth in it as well.  The world doesn't really owe you a fucking thing any more than anyone else.
-the idea of the world "owing you something" doesn't even make any sense, what the fuck are you talking about.

You come across as best as I can tell as rather selfish and self serving demanding we all change for a very small number of people who historically have been pretty much treated with contempt for better or worse for a very long time.  To be quite honest you really should consider yourself very lucky to be alive in a period of time when the LGBT community is tolerated at all much less not killed on sight.
-So as long as you aren't being stoned to death everything's perfect..
O wait, that's not how reality works.
And how is it selfish to say that transgender people should be given the respect of not being treated like shit for a biological difference in their brain, like what the actual fuck are you even talking about?

I'm not saying that you're wrong with wanting rights, but demanding that everyone just accept your life choices without question is plain fucking silly. I remember a time when I could have been beaten just because I have long hair and suddenly within the past few years we have transgender people making demands completely unthinkable a few years ago.
-"but demanding that everyone just accept your life choices without question is plain fucking silly."
Being transgender..
wait for it..
Isn't a fucking choice.

Perhaps you believe that the tide will not and cannot turn against you, but biology would argue without a single word and the tide could easily turn against you just for seeming to feel so entitled.. Like it or not respect is earned and it takes a lot to earn it. You might not even realize it, but it's much easier to lose respect from people than to earn it.  So far as best as I can see you've done nothing to earn a bit of respect. Try earning respect before demanding it.
-How am i demanding respect?
All I'm saying is that me being transgender, and anyone else being transgender, shouldn't be a fucking factor, transgender people should be equal to cisgender people as a factor, in saying that their gender has nothing to do with how you should treat them, other then calling them what they fucking are, which isn't even fucking difficult and is a basic respect EVERYONE deserves.
You stupid arrogant cunt.