Recent stuff involving Islam on the forum

Started by GrinningYMIR, December 22, 2015, 10:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Well, the war profiteers need a more protracted engagement with the enemy, so they can sell more weapons and make more profit.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on December 23, 2015, 06:44:32 PM
Why cant we just nuke syria and get it over with?

People think they have solutions to problems.  But that is the second delusion.  The first delusion is they think they have problems.  The third delusion is they think their solution to their problems will be permanent.

Nuking people doesn't solve anyone's problems ... was the Cold War worth it?  Only if it never went Hot.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 23, 2015, 06:52:00 PM
Well, the war profiteers need a more protracted engagement with the enemy, so they can sell more weapons and make more profit.

The human race has always been at war, never at peace.  The alternative to war profits,are war losses.  And war losses are very much worth avoiding.

This is the result of the League of Nations ... didn't end war, it brought on more war.

This is the result of the UN ... didn't end war, it brought on more war.

Mischaracterizing reality ... and then trying to act on this delusion ... is normal, but un-profitable.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GrinningYMIR

Anti UN now too?

The total deaths as a result of war have gone way down since the UN and the advent of nukes came to be
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Unbeliever

A very interesting book is The Better Angels of Our Nature. It gave me a whole new perspective (as opposed to only part of a new perspective).
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on December 24, 2015, 12:58:44 PM
Anti UN now too?

The total deaths as a result of war have gone way down since the UN and the advent of nukes came to be

There is evidence, and interpretation of evidence.  The UN failed in Korea and Vietnam and numerous other places.  But I am not saying it provoked wars.  The League of Nations also didn't provoke wars ... it simply was a diplomatic circle jerk.  If you think nukes brought peace ... then you are assuming that WW III (non-nuke version) would have happened as early as the 1960s (World War every generation or so).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 24, 2015, 01:12:42 PM
A very interesting book is The Better Angels of Our Nature. It gave me a whole new perspective (as opposed to only part of a new perspective).

An interesting thesis, but I see no evidence for it.  Every generation comes and goes, and recreates the conditions of what came before it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 24, 2015, 03:40:13 PM
Well, have you read the book?

Your link was the to the Wiki.  Assuming the review is any good, and looking at the premises ... I could only laugh at the author's over-reach and the joke of human progress.  My criticism would be tame compared to what is quoted in the criticism section.  Based on 1945 ... all years since are less violent ... because we don't have a World War going on and we haven't dropped any nukes since then.  Or we can make a comparison with the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991.  But one can say that more recent history is much harder to assess.

Now it is OK to be an optimist or a pessimist.  But an empiricist can be neither.  The author does try to use statistics.  But I am reminded of the phrase ... lies, damn lies and statistics.  If violence is a part of sociology, one can analyze it that way, but if over time, we are trying to make scientific history.  History after all is just propaganda.  Sociology however is policy ... the reason for this so called science in the late 19th century, was to put government policy on a scientific basis.  This physics envy is ... pathetic.

Overall ... the book seems like a policy agenda, not a history at all.  And optimistic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

GYMIR, I'll never know how bad and frustrating is to know that you could be physically harmed and thrown out from one's home by the people you should trust the most, but you are fast becoming like your parents- the people you are angry with because of their bigotry and destructive manner against you.

Oh and the irony. I was born in a muslim country, I have lived in a muslim country all my life, I'm still living in a muslim country AND everyone who knows me knows I am an atheist since I was 15. I'll be 40 this August, GYMIR. Nobody beat me up or threatened me to throw out for anything. I don't think my parents would throw me out doesn't matter whatever I do, I have never been physically harmed by them or anyone else for that matter. Nobody tried to kill me or try to do something bad to me, because I am an atheist.

I am sorry you are going through this. I am sorry that you have a couple of bigotic douchbags for parents and animals around that would harm you where you live.

But you are living in a shit hole and you need to get out of there, because it is poisoning you. Esp. in your depressed position, it will get worse and worse.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GrinningYMIR

I don't know shoezie..I feel like where I am will just be forever. Losing hope that it's gonna change
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on December 25, 2015, 10:40:26 AM
I don't know shoezie..I feel like where I am will just be forever. Losing hope that it's gonna change

You feel that way, because that's how you feel when you are depressed. Like, the bad and negative feelings will never ever end. It feels very bad...then you laugh at it years later. The impostant thing is to get out from it with the least damage.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GrinningYMIR

I'm on three meds now heh. Yeah I'm depressed but this whole deal feels like it's all it will ever be. Either get thrown to the streets or do exactly what they want.

I still don't like religion, and I don't think it's right to defend one when they're all against us. But I've got a lot of hate in me now

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on December 25, 2015, 11:10:48 AM
I'm on three meds now heh. Yeah I'm depressed but this whole deal feels like it's all it will ever be. Either get thrown to the streets or do exactly what they want.

I still don't like religion, and I don't think it's right to defend one when they're all against us. But I've got a lot of hate in me now

You are feeling bad, frustrated and feel like all world is going down in shit around you. Hate is a human feeling too GYMIR. It's OK to feel it time to time, esp. in face of what is going on in the world...etc. We all feel it some way or other. However, storing it up, defining the world with it is harmful to you. Only to you. Not to mention it prevents you from enjoying your life at any age.

There is also this with you that you are taking social media -or any media- too seriously and you seem to feel like you have to fit in some norm that is put out there. Why? Who cares who wears what in solidarity, who cares who is saying what about video games, who cares what other people think? You shouldn't. You just need to avoid what is harmful to you and ignore every other thing for now.

Nobody is defending any religion. Nobody is telling you to like any religion. Shiranu is not defending any religion. He sees the hypocrisy, it is annoying him and he reacts to that. pr reacts to what he thinks others don't see. And they provoke each other. This is a forum. This is what we do here. Nobody likes religions. We can't like religions even if we tried, we are nonbelievers.

What you need to understand is the difference between hating religions and hating people. These are very two different things. And the latter doesn't stop at ones you think are automatically against you -which is a childish definition. Once you start to see the world in black and white, the world becomes some place where people either are against or for you. Doesn't that sound stupid to you? There are countless people who has nothing to do with what is going on in the world. Christians, Muslims, Jews...etc. the very majority of them do NOT want to do with any of this.  They just want to go on their lives, take care of their families. Because that's how people work. An dpeople are pretty much the same everywhere around the world. Many 22 year old young muslim men feel pretty much the same about their parents as you do.

I know you and most of the 20 somethings here were born into this world of terrorism at its finest, but the world will change a lot fo times over in your life, kiddo. Everything is so bad, so terrible...blah blah. People always tend to think the time they live is the best and the worst in every way. They thought this in 16th century or 500 BC too. And they will think the same bullshit hundreds of years later.

World will be the same. World has always been the same and it gets more the same as it changes. You need to learn to compartmentalise a bit. Yeah well, I am very bad at it too. But I also know life is SOO short. Trust me. It's so short, I promise to you that you'll think I was just depressed at 22 yesterday, how and when the fuck I got to 40! Go out, make friends, find something to take your mind off things. Learn to accept things, protect yourself from bullshit.

Hate doesn't do good to anyone, GYMIR. Especially the one who hates.