Republican Senator Rob Portman supports gay unions

Started by Valigarmander, March 15, 2013, 03:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21804506

QuoteInfluential US Republican Senator Rob Portman has renounced his opposition to gay marriage.

The Ohio senator said he began to change his mind in 2011 after his son, Will, revealed he was gay.

Sen Portman said that his former views on marriage had stemmed from his Methodist faith.

In 1996, as a member of the House of Representatives, he voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

He also voted in 1999 against allowing gay couples in Washington DC to adopt children.

The gay marriage issue has increasingly divided the Republican party, with some members arguing that opposition to same-sex unions contributed to the party's losses nationally in last November's elections.

Sen Portman, who was considered a potential running mate for Republican White House candidate Mitt Romney, announced his change of heart in interviews with several Ohio newspapers.

"I have come to believe that if two people are prepared to make a lifetime commitment to love and care for each other in good times and in bad, the government shouldn't deny them the opportunity to get married," he wrote in an opinion piece for the Columbus Dispatch.

"That isn't how I've always felt," he wrote. "As a congressman, and more recently as a senator, I opposed marriage for same-sex couples."

His son posted a message on Twitter, saying: "Especially proud of my dad today".

Sen Portman said to Ohio newspapers that his son Will, now 21 and a student at Yale University, told him being gay was "not a choice", and that he had been gay "since he could remember".

The Ohio senator said he and his wife, Jane, had been surprised but also supportive.

The father of three said he had confided in the pastor of his church in Cincinnati about the issue.

He also spoke to Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell, who opposes gay marriage, and to former Vice-President Dick Cheney, who supports it. Mr Cheney's daughter is a lesbian.

Sen Portman told the newspapers that Mr Romney had been informed about Will's sexuality last year.

Mr Romney spoke out last May against gay marriage, a week after President Barack Obama took the political gamble of announcing his support for such unions.

Sen Portman said he had struggled with reconciling his Christian faith and his desire to see his son have the same opportunities for relationships as his siblings.

"Ultimately, it came down to the Bible's overarching themes of love and compassion and my belief that we are all children of God," the senator wrote.

Sen Portman said he would like Congress to repeal the provision of the Defense of Marriage Act (Doma), which bans federal recognition of gay marriage.

But he argued that states should not be forced to recognise such unions.

Sen Portman said in his opinion piece: "Judicial intervention from Washington would circumvent that process as it's moving in the direction of recognising marriage for same-sex couples.

"An expansive court ruling would run the risk of deepening divisions rather than resolving them."

Nine US states and the District of Columbia fully recognise gay marriage, including several states which legalised the unions through a popular vote in 2012.

The announcement comes just over a week before the US Supreme court will hear arguments in two cases related to gay marriage. One challenges Doma.

Perhaps we're seeing a changing tide.

Plu

All it takes is to see just how horribly your life choices are affecting other people you care about.

BarkAtTheMoon

QuoteSen Portman said that his former views on marriage had stemmed from his Methodist faith.

In 1996, as a member of the House of Representatives, he voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

Boom, unconstitutional. Easiest case for the Supreme Court ever.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Brian37

Did he say marriage or unions, because semantically there really isn't any difference but in law the "unions" are simply the same white crap that oppressed blacks with "separate but equal".

"Unions" are not good enough. That is simply being half assed about it. Call it what it is, marriage and give them the same legal rights. PERIOD! Otherwise government should get out of all marriages.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

The Skeletal Atheist

There have been several republicans coming out in support of equality lately. Call me cynical, but for a lot of them (not all) I suspect their decision has more to do with the fact that they're seeing public opinion overwhelmingly come out in support of equality than any actual held beliefs.

Edit: I remember someone on Facebook had the gall to call us "ungrateful" because we questioned the republicans motives, I never wanted to punch someone through a computer so much.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Brian37

Right an if politics were solely there to remain stagnant, then we'd still own slaves.

I want republicans to stick to their principles, since the winds are changing, they would be committing political suicide, and considering the 30 years of both economic and social stupidity they advocate, I want that party to die.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Wheatthins

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"There have been several republicans coming out in support of equality lately. Call me cynical, but for a lot of them (not all) I suspect their decision has more to do with the fact that they're seeing public opinion overwhelmingly come out in support of equality than any actual held beliefs.
Or maybe it has to do with the fact that politicians don't always get to base their policy positions on their own personal opinions. Thats the way a democratic system works, you have to do what the people who elect you tell you to do.  And Portmans gonna pay because he's not following that rule.
I don\'t see alot of good or evil in the world, mostly just confused people.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Wheatthins"
Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"There have been several republicans coming out in support of equality lately. Call me cynical, but for a lot of them (not all) I suspect their decision has more to do with the fact that they're seeing public opinion overwhelmingly come out in support of equality than any actual held beliefs.
Or maybe it has to do with the fact that politicians don't always get to base their policy positions on their own personal opinions. Thats the way a democratic system works, you have to do what the people who elect you tell you to do.  And Portmans gonna pay because he's not following that rule.
Yes yes of course, I realize how a democracy works. What I'm saying is that they're acting like they went through some radical personal change in opinion, and I suspect that's not the case.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Plu

QuoteOr maybe it has to do with the fact that politicians don't always get to base their policy positions on their own personal opinions. Thats the way a democratic system works, you have to do what the people who elect you tell you to do. And Portmans gonna pay because he's not following that rule.

Technically, you're supposed to do what you want, and if the people disagree they're not supposed to elect you.

It's because people will lie and tell you everything you want to hear to get elected instead of sticking to the actual idea behind a political party that we're stuck with crappy systems.

billhilly

The jesus wing of the repubs is losing influence as is the bomb all the brown people wing.  Whatever you think about Rand Paul, his recent popularity combined with the ass kicking they got it the last election might bring about some much needed changes to the party.

For those who aren't party hacks, this should be a good thing.  How cool would it be if the opposition wasn't bat shit crazy?  Wouldn't it be better to negotiate with a more libertarian party?  Disagree on fiscal matters but agree on personal liberty.  It might even temper the dems on foreign policy.

StupidWiz

... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Atheon

Glad to see this happening, no matter what the motive. Still, it speaks volumes about Republican lack of empathy when they only decide to support ideas of social justice when it affects them or their loved ones directly.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Nonsensei

Quote from: "Brian37"Did he say marriage or unions, because semantically there really isn't any difference but in law the "unions" are simply the same white crap that oppressed blacks with "separate but equal".

"Unions" are not good enough. That is simply being half assed about it. Call it what it is, marriage and give them the same legal rights. PERIOD! Otherwise government should get out of all marriages.

Getting federally recognized unions for homosexuals is a fine start though.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Thumpalumpacus

From the Better Late Than Never Dept.

I agree that if the Republicans don't change their stance, they're doomed.
<insert witty aphorism here>

hrdlr110

"Atheon"]Glad to see this happening, no matter what the motive. Still, it speaks volumes about Republican lack of empathy when they only decide to support ideas of social justice when it affects them or their loved ones directly.

Yes, this!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts