News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by PopeyesPappy, July 30, 2015, 12:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Just upgraded my Windows 7 laptop top to 10. So far so good. Anyone else tried it yet? Problems?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

PickelledEggs

I was going to wait for my friend to help me install my second harddrive before installing it. That way I can have an operating system on either hard drive, one win 10 and one some sort of linux...

I've heard amazing things though about 10

Hydra009

I've heard good things as well.  In addition to the more comfortable user interface (no metro/charms and the reinstatement of the revered Start button), it includes DirectX 12 (performance improvements reportedly similar to Mantle).  While my hardware is quite dated, the video card supports DirectX 12, so that's nice, though I doubt it'll make much difference on my venerable game collection.  And we get to have an upside-down burial for Internet Explorer.  That's certainly a plus in my book.

I'm not too thrilled about Cortana or Xbox support, however.  As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft can keep that.

I've been a little wary about this "free upgrade" since I assumed there'd be a catch of some kind.  Beware a generous stranger and all that.  But it seems like Microsoft is whipping up quite a buzz and getting everyone on the same OS rather than scattered on a bunch of different ones would be a lot easier to support. 

I tend to be a late adopter, so I'll watch how this plays out before committing.

Hijiri Byakuren

Well, some folks are calling it Windows 1984, so I'll just stick with Windows 7 for the time being.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

Windows 8 is different, but that's not what makes it bad.  It almost looks like it was designed for the worst features of cell phones, like butt dialing.  There's constantly something popping up that I have absolutely no use for, not trying to activate, and wouldn't have put there in the first place.  I'm terrified when my mouse gets close to a corner of my screen, where an unwanted Microsoft intrusion is lurking, and it's not just an annoying popup that gets in the way.  Suddenly, I'm in an entirely new screen asking me stuff like what do I want to find?  Hell, I wasn't trying to find anything, you idiot.  I was trying to read the news.  An then if I do try to find something like a misplaced file, it takes me to some site on the internet (usually one that is trying to sell me something that I don't even know what it's for).

Given the direction that Microsoft seems to want its interface to go, I don't have confidence that Windows 10 will be that good.  But we live in Microsoft's world and that's just the way things are going to be.  We are at the mercy of our Microsoft overlords.  They know what's best for us, even if we don't.  Just be thankful they haven't sent their armed jack boots to your door to take you away.

PopeyesPappy

Well so far so good for me. I haven't had any problems with any of my apps or finding anything I was looking for, and the install actually fixed an issue I was having with the laptop taking longer than it should to come out of sleep mode. The laptop is more than 3 years old, but I put an ssd in it a while back. It takes about 20 seconds to boot from a cold start.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Solitary

As long as it isn't disaster like Windows 8 it should be fine. I'll wait until 10 is shown to be better than Windows 7 pro.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mike Cl

I got burned by Win. 8--sucked big time.  So, me and my 7 are quite happy right now.  Will wait until I have to change.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 30, 2015, 12:56:23 PMI got burned by Win. 8--sucked big time.  So, me and my 7 are quite happy right now.  Will wait until I have to change.
Yeah.  I remember that vividly.  A lot of people were thrilled by the mere $40 upgrade, an enthusiasm that was short-lived.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 30, 2015, 01:15:05 PM
Yeah.  I remember that vividly.  A lot of people were thrilled by the mere $40 upgrade, an enthusiasm that was short-lived.
I didn't pay $40... Lol ;)

Ifyouknowwhatimean

Sent from your mom.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 30, 2015, 03:05:18 AM
Well, some folks are calling it Windows 1984, so I'll just stick with Windows 7 for the time being.
Have you verified that's a real problem?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

And Hijiri, 1984? really? lol

That's like when Fox News blew the facebook messenger app permissions out of the water. "this app needs to know your contacts??? it's spying on you!!!"

It's most likely just for services on your machine... . Doesn't necessarily mean it's spying on you.

trdsf

Still on XP, and getting a 7 box.  7 was the first version of Windows since NT 3.51 I was willing to admit was okay (which from me is phenomenally high praise for a MS product).  Not moving to 10 any time soon; pretty much ready to say fuck them, and move to Linux once and for all.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on July 30, 2015, 09:24:18 PMNot moving to 10 any time soon; pretty much ready to say fuck them, and move to Linux once and for all.
But...but...gaming.  :'(

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 30, 2015, 08:48:32 PM
Have you verified that's a real problem?
It was intended as a joke. It's unlikely I'll be changing operating systems at all until I buy myself a new rig. My main computer runs 7, the one I'm typing this on runs motherfucking Vista, and I even have an XP machine hiding in the back.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel