News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 28, 2021, 05:33:51 PM
Legolas wasn't exactly bound by Earthly physics in books either. See the pass of Caradhras.

I know, Tolkien's elves are magically light on their feet, but not sinking in the snow and leaping off of multiple falling blocks to cross a collapsing bridge are two different things.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 28, 2021, 05:45:50 PM
I know, Tolkien's elves are magically light on their feet, but not sinking in the snow and leaping off of multiple falling blocks to cross a collapsing bridge are two different things.
Why?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 28, 2021, 09:43:14 AM
Technically, yes, but why would you do that to yourself? lol. Just watch the good ones (ie, not the Hobbit movies). Even that would take you plenty long to do. IMO, the first two Hobbit movies are mostly fine, but the third one was just a mess. Rather than stick the landing, they face planted.

LOL I have already done that a few times with LotR. I think I need to make use of those 'Hobbit' movies. And why not. Something to do it. Things are so bad here...I need weird stuff to do.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

The Dwarf Kingdom imagery is worth the sit, IMNSHO.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

At the risk of sounding snooty, I think all of Tolkien's stories would be better served by old fashion Disney animation, not even Pixar.  When the elves appear, I always have this "knee jerk" reaction:  Those aren't elves.  They are just people, mature adults, or maybe Vulcans trying to act like elves.  The only convincing movie character is Gollum.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 29, 2021, 07:49:25 AM
At the risk of sounding snooty, I think all of Tolkien's stories would be better served by old fashion Disney animation, not even Pixar.  When the elves appear, I always have this "knee jerk" reaction:  Those aren't elves.  They are just people, mature adults, or maybe Vulcans trying to act like elves.  The only convincing movie character is Gollum.
Serkis was excellent, I'll give you that. But if you can't suspend disbelief then you're going to continue to be unhappy as the movies evolve.
PZ Myers

SGOS

I knew I'd get a reaction from that.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 29, 2021, 08:42:27 AM
I knew I'd get a reaction from that.
You're bored too? I've counted the holes in the acoustic tiles twice, then counted the holes in the adjacent tiles once each to confirm my count.
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 28, 2021, 05:45:50 PM

Physics is physics. If Legolas (more mass less surface area) can defy Newton's third law by walking on top of snow a Hobbit (less mass more surface area) can't there is no reason he can't defy Newton's second law by climbing a pile of rocks in freefall.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 28, 2021, 11:48:04 AMA lot of people complained about the second movie being too fake looking with the physics of their CGI scenes. I thought it was fine. It was definitely nothing compared to the Super Mario physics displayed by Legolas in the third movie.
I don't think it was so much the CGI as the abysmal pacing and just a complete lack of emotional connection to any of the characters.  If you were to torture me and told me that my torture would end the moment I recalled any personality traits or names of any of the dwarves, my torture would be unending.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 29, 2021, 12:38:48 PM
Physics is physics. If Legolas (more mass less surface area) can defy Newton's third law by walking on top of snow a Hobbit (less mass more surface area) can't there is no reason he can't defy Newton's second law by climbing a pile of rocks in freefall.
BUT! He didn't leave prints in the snow, BUT the rocks reacted to his passing. In one case he has no down force, in the other he does.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 29, 2021, 02:09:27 PMBUT! He didn't leave prints in the snow
Is that the actual objection?  Are you presenting the argument against immersion-breaking physics-defying rule of cool stuff in an accurate and honest way?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 29, 2021, 04:42:20 PM
Is that the actual objection?  Are you presenting the argument against immersion-breaking physics-defying rule of cool stuff in an accurate and honest way?
Not at all, I'm stay in the paradigm. I keep in mind that's it just a movie, it just a movie, it just a movie, it just a movie, it just a movie, it just a movie, it just a movie, it just a movie, it just a movie, ...
PZ Myers