News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 27, 2021, 04:44:07 PM
The gf wanted to watch 'risen', I think because it was with the Draco malfoy guy.
As far as movies go, it's not half bad. Believable acting, good scenery, likeable main character, good shots and costumes. I may not be a fan of the whole Jesus myth, but I can say this is a good movie.
Hell of a lot better than the utter bile that was the passion of the christ. This film at least seems to care about the message that Christians claim to care about: loving thine neighbor.
So I checked out the trailer......"as told through the eyes of the non believer." Right! They even have the debunked shroud. There was that Russell Crow 'Noah' movie a while back. I tried to watch it but it got so stupid I strapped on my chute and bailed early.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cassia on July 27, 2021, 06:07:32 PM
So I checked out the trailer......"as told through the eyes of the non believer." Right! They even have the debunked shroud. There was that Russell Crow 'Noah' movie a while back. I tried to watch it but it got so stupid I strapped on my chute and bailed early.

Don't get me wrong. It's not Oscar material, which in nf by itself doesn't say much. But of all the christian films I've ever seen, this is easily the second best.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cassia

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 27, 2021, 06:37:25 PM
Don't get me wrong. It's not Oscar material, which in nf by itself doesn't say much. But of all the christian films I've ever seen, this is easily the second best.
It may be Ok drama-wise....pretty sure it is viewed as a documentary by millions, LOL. I don't see how Jesus's real message is about love. Those hate-based preachers like the Westboro church actually have it right. Now I would go see a movie like that, LOL.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on July 27, 2021, 07:12:17 PM
It may be Ok drama-wise....pretty sure it is viewed as a documentary by millions, LOL. I don't see how Jesus's real message is about love. Those hate-based preachers like the Westboro church actually have it right. Now I would go see a movie like that, LOL.
It's really quite difficult to figure out exactly what Jesus' message is supposed to be.  Take into account the number of different bibles used to 'prove' his message, how many different sects of christianity there are, each with a different take on what his message is supposed to be and mix in all the contradictory things Jesus is supposed to have said and it is impossible to pinpoint what his message(s) are.  He can be made to say whatever the speaker wants him to say. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 27, 2021, 09:03:13 PM
It's really quite difficult to figure out exactly what Jesus' message is supposed to be.  Take into account the number of different bibles used to 'prove' his message, how many different sects of christianity there are, each with a different take on what his message is supposed to be and mix in all the contradictory things Jesus is supposed to have said and it is impossible to pinpoint what his message(s) are.  He can be made to say whatever the speaker wants him to say.
Yeah, almost like a bunch of people made it all up at different times for different purposes. The whole "abandon your family to follow me" and "you must to love me and my dictator/father" or we will burn you forever is pure master/slave and masochistic nonsense. If that is love than I don't want it.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on July 27, 2021, 11:11:11 PM
Yeah, almost like a bunch of people made it all up at different times for different purposes. The whole "abandon your family to follow me" and "you must to love me and my dictator/father" or we will burn you forever is pure master/slave and masochistic nonsense. If that is love than I don't want it.
Amen!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug". (Second viewing, after years of owning the videos.) Essential back story for the later (chronologically) movies. I had never learned much about the Necromancer, so I went into this originally with no small amount of curiosity. It keeps its children's story level with things like the bird poop on Radegast's face and Beorn's affection for the tiniest creatures. And oh so beautiful. Plus the scenes on the High Fells added depth.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Has anyone watched the all Middle Earth movies starting from Hobbits to the LotR, extended versions? Is it doable in one day?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 28, 2021, 09:19:24 AM
Has anyone watch the all Middle Earth movies starting from Hobbits to the LotR, extended versions? Is it doable in one day?

Technically, yes, but why would you do that to yourself? lol. Just watch the good ones (ie, not the Hobbit movies). Even that would take you plenty long to do. IMO, the first two Hobbit movies are mostly fine, but the third one was just a mess. Rather than stick the landing, they face planted.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm currently watching the second one, having fun without any baggage going in. YMMV
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

A lot of people complained about the second movie being too fake looking with the physics of their CGI scenes. I thought it was fine. It was definitely nothing compared to the Super Mario physics displayed by Legolas in the third movie.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 28, 2021, 11:48:04 AM
A lot of people complained about the second movie being too fake looking with the physics of their CGI scenes. I thought it was fine. It was definitely nothing compared to the Super Mario physics displayed by Legolas in the third movie.
Knee-jerk reactions to anything vaguely CGI is getting tedious. If you want to see a mythical world there are few real world locations that can be used. Jackson used the shit out of what he could do with reality in the first series, actually building Hobbiton. But Minas Tirith wasn't going to be done that way.

I know it's cool to hate the things everybody else hates, but it's not rational.
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 28, 2021, 12:48:17 PM
Knee-jerk reactions to anything vaguely CGI is getting tedious. If you want to see a mythical world there are few real world locations that can be used. Jackson used the shit out of what he could do with reality in the first series, actually building Hobbiton. But Minas Tirith wasn't going to be done that way.

I know it's cool to hate the things everybody else hates, but it's not rational.

Not to mention they are getting really fucking good at CGI.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 28, 2021, 01:16:53 PM
Not to mention they are getting really fucking good at CGI.
Yeah, I get the feeling that the snooty ones haven't watch any movies with CGI since the '60s.
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 28, 2021, 11:48:04 AM

Legolas wasn't exactly bound by Earthly physics in books either. See the pass of Caradhras.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.