Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

Hydra009

*watches the beginning of 28 Days Later*
Hey, I remember that from a couple weeks ago!

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 28, 2020, 09:36:06 AM
I watched the 53 version of War of the Worlds in a theater by myself and then had to go home to my grandparents house out in the country, and sleep upstairs by myself.  Yeah, it scared me.
Oh, that movie fucked me up when I was 8 -- although actually, When Worlds Collide did a bigger number on my head -- unfortunately, the night after I first saw it, there was a full moon in the sky outside my bedroom window... and it was years before I could sleep with the shades open again.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

28 Days Later was super vicious but it also had some strangely soothing music and even joyful and hopeful scenes.  You don't always get that in zombie movies.  Wild cinematography.  And I forgot that it had the 9th Doctor.

SGOS

My first scary movie was the 1950s version of The Thing.  It wrecked my sleeping habits for what seemed like a year.  I don't think my parents should have let me go see it.  A kid who was one year older than me went with me explained the concept of a scary movie on our way to the theater.  I could not grasp how a movie could be scary.  I was somewhere around 8 to 10 years old, I suppose.  James Arness was the actor who played the Thing.  Later he became the TV star of Gunsmoke.  I think they picked him because he was taller than most actors.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 05, 2020, 05:26:48 AM
My first scary movie was the 1950s version of The Thing.  It wrecked my sleeping habits for what seemed like a year.  I don't think my parents should have let me go see it.  A kid who was one year older than me went with me explained the concept of a scary movie on our way to the theater.  I could not grasp how a movie could be scary.  I was somewhere around 8 to 10 years old, I suppose.  James Arness was the actor who played the Thing.  Later he became the TV star of Gunsmoke.  I think they picked him because he was taller than most actors.
"The Thing from Another World" was based on a short story, "Who Goes There". Fun read even today.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

When Worlds Collide is the granddaddy of the 2012 Nabiru scifi panic ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1QPtOZQZU

Actual asteroid impacts are at extreme velocity, instantaneous, not slow and to a musical beat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

The only "panic" was from watching idiots go apeshit.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cassia

Passengers (2008)  Anne Hathaway, Patrick Wilson, David Morse
A grief counselor working with a group of plane-crash survivors....'

4 of 10. Started out promising and then went off the rails into supernatural nonsense as so many films do. I get bored when this happens....'Contact' with Jodie Foster turned into a train wreck as well.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 05, 2020, 11:22:00 AM
The only "panic" was from watching idiots go apeshit.

Did you do Year 2000 prep?  I know I guy who did.  And I was involved in correcting some military computers to make sure they worked New Years day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1F7vaNP9w0
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I got paid $200 to sit in my office at State Farm and notify the boss if it was an actual thing. Not sure how I would have done that, but I took the money. And the free lunch for myself and my staff person, and my wife who did the carry out. Italian, really good Italian. (And I used to live in Italy.)
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on July 05, 2020, 09:13:13 AM
When Worlds Collide is the granddaddy of the 2012 Nabiru scifi panic ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1QPtOZQZU

Actual asteroid impacts are at extreme velocity, instantaneous, not slow and to a musical beat.

Think of all the damage that would do to the economy.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Akira - 1988

Highly, highly disappointed in it. Always heard it was a masterpiece and the film that got the West into anime but it didn't do much for me. Would not recommend. The later-half was at least bearable, but the first hour I had to watch in 20 minute chunks because it was just too boring.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 06, 2020, 05:12:11 PM
Akira - 1988

Highly, highly disappointed in it. Always heard it was a masterpiece and the film that got the West into anime but it didn't do much for me. Would not recommend. The later-half was at least bearable, but the first hour I had to watch in 20 minute chunks because it was just too boring.

Looks just like 2020 ... boring?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 06, 2020, 03:31:44 PM
Think of all the damage that would do to the economy.
Also, it's not slow motion.  It only looks that way because space is big.  I run realtime simulations in Universe Sandbox on these sorts of themes all the time.  One thinks of a supernova as blasting a solar system into cinders in an instant -- nope, the speed of light is still the speed limit.  I've set the sun to go supernova and let it run in realtime.  The light still takes eight minutes to get there -- Earth is toast within about half an hour of the sun going boom, but only because of the additional radiated energy across the spectrum.  The actual debris and shock wave takes about two hours to get to the Earth.

So absolutely yes, viewed from that distance, an asteroid impact like that would look like it's in slow motion, even though it's happening at tens of thousands of miles an hour.  An asteroid moving at 40,000 miles an hour is still going to take six hours or so to cross the Earth/Moon distance.

As far as the soundtrack for the end of the world, that'd be a good one to go out on.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan