News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

My favorite part about Rise of Skywalker:

[Spoiler]Palpatine - a guy whose face looks like a shriveled scrotum - got laid and has living posterity, while none of the Skywalkers or Solos or Kenobis did.

Certainly an unexpected turn for a guy whose life was dedicated to megavillainy and didn't seem to have any personal relations with anyone outside of work.

A certain Lannister would literally killed people to ensure that sort of genetic windfall.[/spoiler]

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 01, 2020, 12:56:49 AM

[Spoiler]Palpatine - a guy whose face looks like a shriveled scrotum - got laid and has living posterity, while none of the Skywalkers or Solos or Kenobis did.

Certainly an unexpected turn for a guy whose life was dedicated to megavillainy and didn't seem to have any personal relations with anyone outside of work.

A certain Lannister would literally killed people to ensure that sort of genetic windfall.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]When you're rich and powerful, it doesn't matter how you look. Someone out there would want to have your child. What I find super interesting, though, is how Palpatine treats his family, compared to Anakin. Darth Vader was a heartless, evil monster, but he still wanted to have a relationship with his son. Palpatine just fucking murders his children because they wouldn't sacrifice his granddaughter to him in some ancient Sith ritual. Even by villain standards, that's cruel.

Also, something I forgot to mention. Is this...

...possibly a subtle nod to his dad's shrug?

Either way, that was one of my favorite scenes. The irony of the Knights of Ren finally appearing in the final movie of the trilogy to try to kill Kylo Ren is just great. We expected them to try to kill the good guys, but they don't get around to it until their leader becomes one of the good guys.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 01, 2020, 12:56:49 AM

Jeffry Epstein didn't kill himself.  He was spirited away to a galaxy far far away.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Just watched black panther for the first time.

It was good. Not as amazing as I was lead to believe. But good.

The story was engaging enough. Often predictable, as is in these superhero films, but with enough twists and turns to once or twice take me off guard.
I'm not a big fan of 'ancient culture infused with supertechnology' however. Was the same reason, I think, why I wasn't a huge fan of the first two Thor films.
Would rank this above those two, I guess. And above the third iron man film. Maybe above Ant-man, though more likely on par with that.

Anyway, next up: infinity war! Looking forward to this one.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 03, 2020, 06:26:40 PMAnyway, next up: infinity war! Looking forward to this one.
Prepare yourself for a movie hitherto undreamt of.  :)

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 03, 2020, 07:23:03 PM
Prepare yourself for a movie hitherto undreamt of.  :)
And don't worry about the people in the airplanes.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Got to see the new Star Wars movie Sunday night with my daughter.  I was impressed.  Rate it 8/10 ... best of the final trilogy, one of the best of the 9 main movies.  Movie critics are dateless boys stuck in their parent's basement!  To find PC where it isn't, or to script PC as part of the story line ... is political activism, it isn't entertainment.  The makers of the movie rediscovered the essential sense of humor that is part of this franchise, that was missing in the first two of the final trilogy.  The storyline had twists (even non-canon), but much better done.  A fitting final movie to the whole storyline.  It was entertaining in an adult way.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Loved Kylo's "Hey!" when he faced the Knights.

But enquiring minds want to know, did they get there on the Knight Bus?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 04, 2020, 07:37:22 AM
Loved Kylo's "Hey!" when he faced the Knights.

But enquiring minds want to know, did they get there on the Knight Bus?

Emperor Palpatine was running a Knight Court ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on February 04, 2020, 07:57:29 AM
Emperor Palpatine was running a Knight Court ;-)
That was actually funny. What have you done with Baruch?
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 04, 2020, 08:19:19 AM
That was actually funny. What have you done with Baruch?

Old Baruch is retired to the nursing home next to you ;-)

Yeah, if you take enough photos, some of them are good.  Same thing with stand up comedy ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on February 04, 2020, 09:09:57 AM
Old Baruch is retired to the nursing home next to you ;-)

Yeah, if you take enough photos, some of them are good.  Same thing with stand up comedy ;-)
You were wayyyyyy overdue.
PZ Myers

SGOS

It's surprising that DC Comics seems so lack luster in their competition with Marvel, only to have them come out with a masterpiece like Joker.  I'm hoping this is a new direction in the appeal of DC films, but it's more likely just an accidental blip.  I mentioned in the TV thread that I started getting DVD disks from Netflix, and started watching Gotham, which tops most of what DC puts out in the theaters IMO. Then I bought the entire Smallville series because I got a cheap used set, and there was a long wait for the first disk at netflicks.  It's maybe a bit on the corny side, but the stories are engaging and great fun.  I can watch 6 or 8 episodes at once, and quit only because I start to feel guilty about being a couch potato.  Superman's parent's drive me nuts, because they seem like in the efforts to help, they make messes out of things.  I'm starting to think that DC trails behind Marvel in the theater, because they've been directing their energy into TV series.  I'm looking forward to Arrow and Krypton, and I just finished the first disk of The Flash, which I also liked a lot.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 04, 2020, 09:11:23 AM
You were wayyyyyy overdue.

Maybe your senility took hold ;-)  They say simple minded people laugh a lot.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on February 04, 2020, 11:18:54 AM
Maybe your senility took hold ;-)  They say simple minded people laugh a lot.
Point.

You.
PZ Myers