News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on January 03, 2019, 02:16:57 PM
Well, if that's so, why have the avengers gone from having colourful costumes as you would think they'd wear in the comics in avengers 1, to now the avengers wearing dismal dark colours in infinity war?
Thematic reasons.  Infinity War is supposed to be a tad grim.

Also in that movie, both Iron Man's armor and Spider Man's armor were fully CGI with little fuss from the fans (in contrast to Green Lantern).  So, there might be a case to be made that my earlier summary isn't a hard-and-fast rule, some wiggle room exists, and of course trends can change at any moment.

Munch

Maybe people just thought infinity war was just a far more entertaining movie then green lantern, much like how the first X-Men movie was entertaining despite the biker wear costumes

Certain details become more obvious when people are bored.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Good quality CGI is certainly less distracting than bad CGI, but it doesn't make or break the movie for me. Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are overall very entertaining, well written, and manage to balance an overarching narrative while not sacrificing the story of the individual movies. Marvel movies are just fucking good.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Doing the impossible requires either cheesy filming or CGI. When I saw the CGI in "Reign of Fire" I thought "NOW they can do The Hobbit."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

Into the Spiderverse: Loved almost everything about it. It's not just a superhero movie, it's a comic book movie.

Mr.Obvious

Bird box

Gf insistent on watching this, told her it looked like a bad film.
Throughout THE film she tried to point out that it was a good movie.
It wasn't. Showing THE monster too often ruins horror flicks. Not showing it doesn't make a good one. THE movie is boring, and from THE moment it starts, you know who in THE group is going to live and who is going to die. Just because it decided to tell it's story through this flashback.
At THE end of THE movie, i asked her. She admitte she didn't like it very much either.

5/10
Would not recommend.
THE children's acting is about all that's believable in this one. A major feat in and of itself, but not enough to save THE film.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 03, 2019, 11:43:45 PM
Into the Spiderverse: Loved almost everything about it. It's not just a superhero movie, it's a comic book movie.
Do we have to know the references?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 03, 2019, 11:43:45 PM

It's my favorite Spider-Man movie by far. The Sam Raimi films (the first two), were a good blend of cheesy and dramatic. The Amazing Spider-Man movies were unimpressive. And as for Homecoming, while it was nice to have Spider-Man in the MCU, I wasn't fond of how much they changed the supporting cast of characters.

Into the Spider-Verse was a big surprise for me. I thought I was done with Sony Pictures Spider-Man movies, and a movie starring a whole cast of Spider-Men sounded boring on paper. But I heard good things about it and decided to go see it. It was funny, really nice to look at, and shows a lot of care for the source material and history of Spider-Man. There are references to past films, cartoon shows, and memes (in a blind and you'll miss it sort of way). Rather than making the film feel lazy, the multiverse actually feels like it opens up a ton of possibilities. Even characters you think you know might not be how you remember them.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 04, 2019, 03:18:57 AM
Bird box

Gf insistent on watching this, told her it looked like a bad film.
Throughout THE film she tried to point out that it was a good movie.
It wasn't. Showing THE monster too often ruins horror flicks. Not showing it doesn't make a good one. THE movie is boring, and from THE moment it starts, you know who in THE group is going to live and who is going to die. Just because it decided to tell it's story through this flashback.
At THE end of THE movie, i asked her. She admitte she didn't like it very much either.

5/10
Would not recommend.
THE children's acting is about all that's believable in this one. A major feat in and of itself, but not enough to save THE film.
Saw that one too---with my wife.  I like end-of-the-world movies and books and games.  That part was done well enough.  The acting I felt was decent, especially the kids.  What really fell on it's face was the unseen monster--not only unseen but unknown.  And there is only one tiny hint--a guy who is writing a book about the end of the world and it involves deamons and the like killing off mankind.  But it does not really tie it to the unseen terror just outside the window.  The unknown is not really even hinted at even at the end of the movie.  The birds are a slight hint in that in some pagan and ancient religions, birds are guides for the soul either leading to or in, the afterlife.  What really disgusts me about the movie is that many christian believers are saying that the movie illustrates why having blind faith is the best way to live.  I put this movie into the same category as Signs--a movie that is really christian propaganda, and therefore I rate it a zero!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 04, 2019, 05:32:43 AM
Do we have to know the references?

No. I saw it with my younger brother who has never read a Spiderman comic and he enjoyed it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 04, 2019, 10:22:08 AM
No. I saw it with my younger brother who has never read a Spiderman comic and he enjoyed it.
I'll put it on the cable list. T/Y
PZ Myers

LoriPinkAngel

Did anyone else see the latest A Star is Born (2018)?  I really enjoyed it.  I thought Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga and Sam Elliot all gave excellent performances.  I would love to have the soundtrack as there were some really nice songs.  The storyline went along the same theme as the previous versions with some updating and tweaking.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on January 04, 2019, 11:33:33 AM
Did anyone else see the latest A Star is Born (2018)?  I really enjoyed it.  I thought Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga and Sam Elliot all gave excellent performances.  I would love to have the soundtrack as there were some really nice songs.  The storyline went along the same theme as the previous versions with some updating and tweaking.

I'm hoping to see it next week. I've heard good things about the film from friends.

SGOS

Ha!  I just went to see Bumble Bee after totally avoiding Transformers movies and DVDs for the last 4 years.  It got good reviews, and I took a chance.  It was fun, possibly on par with the first Transformers movie, which I enjoyed a bunch.  It's still about the Decepticons out to destroy and wreck havoc, but focuses more on the relationship of the main character and a battered up Bumble Bee (the yellow transformer).  It had a different feel than the first one, and it avoided seeming like a rehash of action scenes.

SGOS

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on January 04, 2019, 11:33:33 AM
I couldn't get interested enough to go to the theater, but I'm definitely going to rent the disk.  I don't think I've ever seen Lady Gaga, so I'm interested in that, and I also like about everything Bradley Cooper does.