News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 01, 2018, 01:05:54 AM
Without a doubt he craves power.  But he doesn't want to bask in it like Loki would.  Instead, he sees power as a means to an end.  He wants to turn the cosmic order on its head, at least in the comics.
That's a good example of how Marvel uses redundant themes, but can still keep it interesting.  In this case, by changing the motive of the villain, and presto!  You have an entirely new storyline.

Loki is interesting to me, because in real life I've heard about him, but no actual stories that I can remember.  So my image was not of an unlikeable god.  I always pictured him as a little fellow, and a prankster entertaining guests at royal feasts, but with fun type pranks that might even please the one he plays the prank on.  Marvel's Loki is disturbing, with motives that serve no other purpose than to satisfy a perverse lust to be worshiped by being pointlessly cruel.  Thor often saves him because he's his brother.  Then I want to smack Thor.  Family or not, Loki's personality is more disgusting than that of a common reprobate.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on September 01, 2018, 08:16:22 AM
Loki is interesting to me, because in real life I've heard about him, but no actual stories that I can remember.
I've read a few of his stories.  He has a great one where he transforms into a horse to trick a giant.  Just don't let him hear you talking about it!

QuoteMarvel's Loki is disturbing, with motives that serve no other purpose than to satisfy a perverse lust to be worshiped by being pointlessly cruel.  Thor often saves him because he's his brother.  Then I want to smack Thor.  Family or not, Loki's personality is more disgusting than that of a common reprobate.
My memory of the Thor movies is hazy, but didn't Loki get kinda sorta rehabilitated?

I can relate to Thor, since I've had close people in my life who weren't always super nice and I've had to look past that.  Let bygones be bygones and all that.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 01, 2018, 07:48:28 PM
My memory of the Thor movies is hazy, but didn't Loki get kinda sorta rehabilitated?
I believe he showed some kindness at times, but then he would relapse into his old self, or it would turn out that the kindness was just a deception.  Toward the end, I think he did something good, but I can't remember what it was, and knowing his past, I was not convinced that it was going to stick.  I did wonder if he would ever get his act together at times.  Maybe it was just hope or maybe I sensed something good.  I did sense a vulnerability in him at times, like he at least had some sadness about him, not just all anger and hate.

Shiranu

His entire life was a lie, his family, his heritage... even if the people who raised him raised him well... that's going to fuck with you.

He redeems himself either way in the last Avenger movie... though it may have been more arrogance and a realization there was no winning rather than "pure" self-sacrifice.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on September 01, 2018, 09:04:09 PMHe redeems himself either way in the last Avenger movie... though it may have been more arrogance and a realization there was no winning rather than "pure" self-sacrifice.
I took it as going out swinging rather than waiting around to die.  Definitely not self-sacrifice.

I've heard a lot of people say that it was a deception or illusion, but I doubt it.  He got dealt a crappy hand, tried to bluff, got called, and lost.  No-win scenario.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 01, 2018, 09:25:11 PM
I took it as going out swinging rather than waiting around to die.  Definitely not self-sacrifice.

I've heard a lot of people say that it was a deception or illusion, but I doubt it.  He got dealt a crappy hand, tried to bluff, got called, and lost.  No-win scenario.
I'll have to watch that again.

Munch

Like it matters, the comics had nebula take the infinity gems and used it to undo everything thanos did, before coming a power mad titan herself. Pretty certain that's how their resolve it in the sequel
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on September 02, 2018, 07:36:42 AM
Like it matters, the comics had nebula take the infinity gems and used it to undo everything thanos did, before coming a power mad titan herself. Pretty certain that's how their resolve it in the sequel
Nah, they'll just kill off half their cash cows and go on to teach English to illegal immigrants in France.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on September 02, 2018, 07:36:42 AM
Ah Ha!  Maybe that's a spoiler.  We don't know for sure, but I was thinking the other day about how the avengers might resolve their current non existence, and it occurred to me that maybe Nebula would play a part.  Frankly, I don't know why I had this thought, because she's mostly a secondary character.  At first I thought it would be Dr. Strange, but he no longer has the time stone, to say nothing of the fact that he no longer exists along with everyone else.

Hmmmmm.  Interesting.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on September 02, 2018, 08:06:54 AM
Ah Ha!  Maybe that's a spoiler.  We don't know for sure, but I was thinking the other day about how the avengers might resolve their current non existence, and it occurred to me that maybe Nebula would play a part.  Frankly, I don't know why I had this thought, because she's mostly a secondary character.  At first I thought it would be Dr. Strange, but he no longer has the time stone, to say nothing of the fact that he no longer exists along with everyone else.

Hmmmmm.  Interesting.

In the comics, he raised nebula as a shambling husk as proof of his power to mistress death and a token of his love to her, which she despised, after all she is death, and undeath is a mockery to her. Its this mistake he made and forgot about that let her take the gauntlet and gems from him.

In the movie we see her being tortured by being pulled apart, but she isn't one of the dead by the end of it. If anything, they have setup the perfect opportunity here, she already hates him, and is alive, so her taking the gems and undoing him is both a satisfying act of vengeance, but also setting up a conflict for the avengers to overcome at the end.  How much more satisfying would it be for her to not just undo what he did, but create more life in the universe to shit all over his philosophy
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on September 02, 2018, 09:06:13 AM
In the comics, he raised nebula as a shambling husk as proof of his power to mistress death and a token of his love to her, which she despised, after all she is death, and undeath is a mockery to her. Its this mistake he made and forgot about that let her take the gauntlet and gems from him.

In the movie we see her being tortured by being pulled apart, but she isn't one of the dead by the end of it.
Maybe that's why I was wondering about Nebula the other day.  I do have to watch this again, and pay special attention to that part, but your analysis is making sense to me.  The end of the film is important, not just as an unsettling cliff hanger, but I always thought the clues were hidden there in that last 5 minutes.  I remember that Gamora too was thrown off a cliff, but I can't remember if she was also vaporized.  The two descendants of Thanos still unvaporized?

Now I'm thinking the last scene might be some kind of transition between past and future, but not quite the present.  People started to disappear too quickly after Thanos got the stones.  Something seemed wrong that he could get the stones and complete his diabolical plan that fast.  I always thought the execution of the plan would take a little thought and consideration, with at least a period of learning and testing.  I'm thinking there was a much longer period of time after he collected the stones, and what seemed like vaporization in the present was being orchestrated by Thanos at some future date.  This would give Nebula some time to fix herself as she always seemed to do, and somehow influence the effects.  If a point in time can be altered from the future, that point in time can also be undone from any point in the future.  And I'm pretty sure Thanos won't be the one to do it because he had second thoughts.

Gawdzilla Sama

I see a thundering herd of feral deus ex machina charging over the hill shouting "DEATH!" They're all wearing Rohirrim uniforms.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 02, 2018, 10:39:58 AM
I see a thundering herd of feral deus ex machina charging over the hill shouting "DEATH!" They're all wearing Rohirrim uniforms.
Perhaps I should just wait for the next move, but with obsessive nature, that may be easier said than done.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 02, 2018, 11:16:04 AM
Perhaps I should just wait for the next move, but with obsessive nature, that may be easier said than done.
You won't die from watching this one now. Lots of fun things going on. Thor makes a new friend, for one.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on September 02, 2018, 08:06:54 AM

Hmmmmm.  Interesting.
I have a theory about that.  The Soul gem stands alone as the strangest and most strangely acquired gem.  The trial to claim it was almost too convenient and easy.  It may be some sort of deception.  (I mean, a stranger coming to you and telling you to throw your loved one off a cliff...what are the odds that's not a trick?)  So instead of the snap killing 50% of the universe, it may just have shunted them to a different dimension or sent them to another time or something similar.