Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

If I Stay

5.5 out of ten
Not the worst flick I've watched because my gf wanted to see it. But not the best either.
She liked it though, so that's something.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Munch

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/guardians_of_the_galaxy/vol_3/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-has-been-put-on-hold-in-the-wake-of-james-gunns-firing-a163136

QuoteGUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 Has Been Put On Hold In The Wake Of James Gunn's Firing

As many figured they would, Marvel Studios has put the third installment of the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise on hold in the wake of original director James Gunn's firing. Find out more after the jump.

In the aftermath of James Gunn's firing, Marvel has put Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 on hold.

THR reports that the studio has decided to delay production on the third installment of the sci-fi superhero franchise while they figure out their next move. This comes in the wake of original directer James Gunn being removed from the project because of a series of highly offensive Tweets that resurfaced recently.

Apparently, crew members that had assembled in Atlanta to begin pre-production are now being dismissed and are free to look for other work, which indicates that we could potentially be looking at quite a lengthy delay. No official release date for GOTG Vol. 3 had been announced, but whatever tentative plans were in place have now been scrapped as the studio regroups and searches for a filmmaker to replace Gunn.

The report mentions that Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi recently took a meeting, but it's unclear which project was discussed.

well there you go, we can't have nice things.

Maybe Waititi can follow though, the way he directed thor ragnarok was more in style to guardians movies, but honestly I feel like this is an example of one person's direction giving weight to a product.
Wouldn't be the first time a questionable director pulled off a fantastic series despite their background, and their replacements bombed the production (Brian singer/Brett Ratner)
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Better have it done before I die. (Five decades tops.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Puzzle 6/10

Very quiet story about a woman who finds out she is a whiz at jigsaw puzzles.  As one critic put it, "...if you want to take a break from blockbusters."  Not that most people want to take such a break.

Alpha  7/10
The simplest of plots playing upon all the clichés used in dog as man's best friend scenarios.

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72QQsWm7yFk

Marvel has daddy issues.

TL;DW:  Many Marvel superheroes start out unheroic, but become more like their fathers (or father figures) and thereby become self-actualized adults.  This new maturity is threatened by Thanos, who acts like a tyrannical father figure, threatening to push the heroes back in subservient child roles and reverse their progress.

TL;DR for the above summary:  Daddy Thanos is going to put you in the corner.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 31, 2018, 09:33:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72QQsWm7yFk

Marvel has daddy issues.

TL;DW:  Many Marvel superheroes start out unheroic, but become more like their fathers (or father figures) and thereby become self-actualized adults.  This new maturity is threatened by Thanos, who acts like a tyrannical father figure, threatening to push the heroes back in subservient child roles and reverse their progress.

TL;DR for the above summary:  Daddy Thanos is going to put you in the corner.

So marvel has daddy issues, who has been brought out by disney who has mommy issues.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on August 31, 2018, 09:56:47 PM
So marvel has daddy issues, who has been brought out by disney who has mommy issues.

Pretty much, yes.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 31, 2018, 09:33:48 PM
Marvel has daddy issues.

I've noticed several redundant themes in the Marvel Universe, although I haven't thought about the father similarities.  While this and other themes may be redundant, I expect them to be there, and I think the whole superhero genre would suffer without them.  I'm always in a state of rapt anticipation waiting for the common themes to appear, especially the origin themes that explain how the hero came to be.  The Marvel creators seem to have an unusually good grasp of what themes are the most important to a superhero movie, the themes that continually strike a chord.  Yes, it's done with a formula, and while I get tired of film formulas, Marvel still holds my attention and I always look forward to the next movie.

As for Thanos, I still don't understand him, but then I'm not a follower of the comics.  I always assumed he was a god, although the analysis in the video says he is not.  But what is he?  He sure doesn't look like a human.  He has human foibles, but that's all I see.  I've also been thrown by your (Hydra's) defense of his actions in a previous post somewhere.  He seems like a power mongering psychopath to me, but again I'm not familiar with his background, and have a hard time imagining him turning into something with good intentions.  I just want Marvel to kill him, and let the superheroes get back to work and go on about their usual activities.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuoteI always assumed he was a god, although the analysis in the video says he is not.  But what is he?  He sure doesn't look like a human.

I think that is one thing that Marvel has done absolutely expertly; blur the line of what is divine and what is just so much more advance and powerful that it appears to be a god. Look at Thor and the Asgardians... they are by all means gods, and yet we don't necessarily think of Thor as a god but instead a hero.

But that is only because of how relatable he is; we have followed his life and seen the down bits as well as the up bits, and we see he is just as "human" as anyone else... he just has insane strength and powers. If he did not fight for the Avengers or we only saw glimpses of him, we would think he is a god because he would still be mysterious.

I was mentioning in the funny picture thread that comic books seem to me to be the modern equivalent of the heros of mythology and ancient religion, and I think Marvel has really managed to capture that in their film. They are the modern equivalent of Achilles or Hercules, Sun Wu Kong or Rama... we've just replaced mysticism and awe with escapism and enjoyment.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Elite entertainment (which is why the Iliad exists) and plebeian entertainment (starting with the Theater of Dionysus in Athens).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

We are the elite, so it makes sense.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on August 31, 2018, 10:27:59 PM
I've noticed several redundant themes in the Marvel Universe, although I haven't thought about the father similarities.
It crops up in Iron Man, Thor, Black Panther, Ant Man, and Spider-Man Homecoming.

QuoteAs for Thanos, I still don't understand him, but then I'm not a follower of the comics.  I always assumed he was a god, although the analysis in the video says he is not.  But what is he?
Correct, he's not a god.  He's a Deviant.  Or more specifically, an Eternal with the deviant gene.  My understanding of Eternals is limited, but Eternals are immortal superhumans with the capability of tapping into the power cosmic.  Think Asgardians but even more powerful.  Deviants are like that just disfigured instead of beautiful and with a unique mutation - a twisted reflection in both the figurative and literal sense.  Eternals and Deviants also wage war against each other.  They're like water and cesium.

QuoteI've also been thrown by your (Hydra's) defense of his actions in a previous post somewhere.
Yeah, I might've goofed that one.  I noticed that Thanos seemed to intentionally avoid killing his enemies (which I thought was interesting and is kinda sorta true), but then again, he did slaughter the asgardians offscreen.  Didn't take that into account.  Oops.

I suppose I could modify it.  Once Thanos gets the second gem, he single-mindedly goes straight for the other gems without wasting a second to paint the town red even though that's absolutely within his power.  Just thought that was interesting.

QuoteHe seems like a power mongering psychopath to me, but again I'm not familiar with his background, and have a hard time imagining him turning into something with good intentions.  I just want Marvel to kill him, and let the superheroes get back to work and go on about their usual activities.
Without a doubt he craves power.  But he doesn't want to bask in it like Loki would.  Instead, he sees power as a means to an end.  He wants to turn the cosmic order on its head, at least in the comics.

I think he's an absolutely fantastic villain.  He reminds me of Dagoth Ur.  He has to be stopped of course, but he's somewhat sympathetic and while I wouldn't call them good intentions exactly, he does have valid reasons for believing what he believes.  I'm talking about the comic Thanos here, the movie version (universe's most dangerous Utilitarian) doesn't make much sense.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 31, 2018, 11:14:47 PM
We are the elite, so it makes sense.

Back in the day, if you can read and write ... yes, that is Elitist!  Bring back illiteracy now!  More lumps in the lumpen proletariat!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.